Estimating Landscape Costs for Woodbury and Portola Springs

warwickhunt

Good afternoon TalkIrvine friends,

As a few of you know I'm a design principal with Studio H Landscape Architecture, we are located in Newport Beach but have worked on several projects in Portola Springs and Woodbury.  I thought I might share a little information on the costs associated with landscaping your new residence in these two communities. 

Woodbury:  From what I hear the Legends landscape package costs around $70,000 for a typical residence in say the Carmel division.  Legends does a great job and has been working with the home builder in other communities such as Crystal Cove.  While they do a nice job they are also very expensive.  Quality does come with a price, but it doesn't always have to.  Generally speaking I would say that anyone in Woodbury with a new home is looking at spending at least $25k with about $35k being an average.  For $50k, you can get a project that's right up there, if not better, than the home builders package.  We have come up with some creative design ideas for some projects in the area and feel very confident we could put together a completely unique project at or above the home builders packages.  Generally, budget $15-35 per square foot of landscape area (building footprint not included).

Portola Springs:  I am not aware of any home builder landscape packages for Portola Springs but I'm sure they exist.  The lots can get fairly large and offer a lot of opportunity but the cost of landscaping a new project in the area can get fairly expensive.  We recently worked on a project with a lot size of 10,000 sf and managed to keep the total costs around $50k.  The client was a pleasure to work with and we were able to design the project with multiple phases, including a phase for a pool, a phase for adding stone paving, additional planting and lighting, and an initial phase which focused on immediate curb appeal.  Budgets for this area can range from $7 - 45/sf.  We feel $15 - $20/sf would be a comfortable range but we can work within any budget.

A few weeks back we offered a FREE DESIGN and bid to residents in the Woodbury community and had such a response that we would again like to offer this to residents in both Woodbury and Portola Springs.  We are Landscape Architects and not landscape contractors but do work with some exceptional local contractors with very competitive pricing.  While some contractors will offer a free design, it's very likely they are not a professional Landscape Architecture firm and will only offer you one bid.  We can offer you up to (3) bids so you can select the contractor the best suits your needs.  If you live outside of these communities gives us a call as we would be happy to make some arrangements for you as well. 

Here is a link to a recent blog post which discusses further costs including actual square foot material costs.  http://www.studioh-inc.com/?p=975

As always, please send along your questions regarding ANYTHING to do with the landscape industry, we love helping out.  We are obviously here to get some work, but also want to give back and contribute to our TalkIrvine friends.

After obtaining eight quotes (including Legends/Southwinds), it was an easy decision to move forward with Warwick.  Here are my initial thoughts after shopping around:

* most contractors will give a cookie cutter "design" where they basically repeat the same design from neighbor to neighbor
* most contractors that I have seen send out 1-2 people to work on a job site with no one to manage the project... one month later, the job site looks no different from the day they started
* Legends (aka. Southwinds) is smoking crack... they are unprofessional and seem to overcharge for their services even though the end product looks good.  Even 7 weeks after meeting for a quote, we needed to chase them down for the quote... which was incomplete.  Maybe they will be nice to you if you are willing to pay double what many good companies are offering
* not all contractors are created equal... it was easy to separate the men from the boys.  after getting quotes from what appeared to be the better groups, it was shocking to see contractors with cookie cutter designs charging the same amount for a more customized design
* sure the fees may be imbedded in the overall cost but why not work with someone willing to tailor a design to your exact needs and still be within the same price range as the cookie cutter contractors?

If you're in need of a quote, definitely give Warwick a try... heck, it's free to meet with him and you will be pleasantly surprised. 

@Studio H/Warwick:

Here's a question... what type of costs do you estimate for the detached condos that have very small back or side yards?

As with most jobs, the costs vary greatly depending on what you are trying to accomplish in the space.  Are you looking to add a built-in barbecue, water feature, firepit? Approximately how many square feet is the space? I design and built a side yard project for a detached condo in Woodbury a few years back and I think the price was around 30k, but it did have some expensive features such as a clear redwood (highest grade) modern patio cover, custom A/C cover, handset Mexican beach pebble paving, travertine pavers, stainless steel trim on the posts, and more.  I would say a budget ranging from $10,000 - $35,000 would be expected.  $20,000 will get you a nice project.  Here is a picture of the side yard we did a few years back, hopefully the picture uploads correctly.  If you have a specific lot size and elements you would like to include please drop me a post and I'll be able to get back to you with a little better idea of a budget.

Attachments

• Contemporary-Asian-Landscape.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,184
Can you show us pictures of projects you have done around $10k?  Thanks.  Very nice side yard by the way.  I love the elements you used.

Thank you for your interest and compliments.  Unfortunately, we have not completed any jobs under 10k.  A sideyard with a budget of 11k might include the following:

Total landscape area: 500sf

Colored concrete paving (300sf) @ 12/sf = $3,600
Planting: $2,500
Irrigation (2 zones): $1,400
Lighting (6 lights w/ transformer): $ 1,500
Soil Prep/Demo/Grading/Drainage/HOA Plans: $2,000

Total: $11,000 roughly.

We stopped doing construction a few years back and just focus on Landscape Architecture now but the above prices are probably a reasonable idea of what you might expect. 

Please let me know if there are any further questions.

I would think for those small back/side yards for these Irvine Pacific detached condos, a basic landscape (pavers, no pergola or built-in bbq) would run less than $5000... maybe less than $3000.

Studio H Landscape Architecture said:
Thank you for your interest and compliments.  Unfortunately, we have not completed any jobs under 10k.  A sideyard with a budget of 11k might include the following:

Total landscape area: 500sf

Colored concrete paving (300sf) @ 12/sf = $3,600
Planting: $2,500
Irrigation (2 zones): $1,400
Lighting (6 lights w/ transformer): $ 1,500
Soil Prep/Demo/Grading/Drainage/HOA Plans: $2,000
Total: $11,000 roughly.

We stopped doing construction a few years back and just focus on Landscape Architecture now but the above prices are probably a reasonable idea of what you might expect. 

Please let me know if there are any further questions.

In my opinion, the most important part of any lanscaping costs should be focused in the bolded line item above.

Although I do already have a referral for landscaping for partners/clients, I appreciate the knowledge that you've shared and wish you luck, StudioH.
-IR2

Do you know about how many square feet those sideyards are? Perhaps I'm over estimating the landscape area.  You could go with some pavers, which on the low end will cost $7-$8/sf.  Shrubs will costs $12/ 1 gallon, $30/5 gallon, $150/15 gallon. Each irrigation valve will cost about $600 - $800, each light will cost $125 - $150 plus a $500 transformer, plus wiring, demo will cost $2.50/sf for any existing concrete, drainage will cost about $12/ linear foot, and soil prep, grading, cleanup, might be around $500 - $1,000 depending on the lot size.  HOA plans will vary depending on the company. You can use those numbers to figure out your exact cost on the job, they really won't vary much off that unless the contractor is using low quality materials, cutting corners, or isn't licensed and insured.  When I copare bids 95% of the pricing falls in this range when comparing qualified contractors.  That should help you put together your own bid. 

I am probably thinking really basic.

No lighting, no irrigation system... just pavers and drainage. For plants and stuff... the potted variety will work.

I think some of these "outdoor areas" are like 10x15... if even that big.

A $3k - $5k budget makes sense on that size space, I guess I was over estimate the lot size.  In that size space I would certainly add in some pottery with planting to add some vertical interest in a space of that size, maybe even a portable firepit or a small water feature. 

:* Legends (aka. Southwinds) is smoking crack... they are unprofessional and seem to overcharge for their services even though the end product looks good.  Even 7 weeks after meeting for a quote, we needed to chase them down for the quote... which was incomplete.  Maybe they will be nice to you if you are willing to pay double what many good companies are offering"

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments have been read carefully and taken on board.  You have clearly experienced an unfortunate situation and we apologise for this. I assure you this experience is not typical of our high standards.
With renewed apologies,
Southwinds Landscaping

Back