Emergency center

Which is a good urgent care center in Irvine for HMO plans? The little one is sick. She has calmed down now, but I might have to make an ER or Urgent care trip if something comes up.

All help is appreciated.. Thanks.

I like <a href="http://www.woodburymedical.com/">Woodbury Medical Group.</a> They are open 7 days a week (except closed some holidays and I think Memorial Day may be one of them.) M-F from 8-8 and Sat/Sun 8-5. It is a combo med group & urgent care. They take walk-ins. It is a convenient facility that does bloodwork, radiology, etc on site. "Most" insurances accepted. You could call and verify if they take yours. I have a PPO now but I believe I used them when I had an HMO too. Good luck.

P.S. For what it's worth, the website of <a href="http://www.askdrsears.com/">Ask Dr. Sears</a> is extremely helpful too, particularly at odd hours when you're not sure what to do. It gives good info on when to see a doctor and when you can take care of it yourself. I use it all the time. Hope this helps & hope she gets well soon!

Socal, I was able to talk to her pediatrician, and looks like she has the stomach flu.. she is doing alright now, but we are keeping the older one away from her as a precautionary measure. Thanks for the link- it has a lot of things covered..Thanks again for your quick help.

We had our first real baby scare tonight. I usually give the baby a bath with me in the tub; well tonight I was just really tired, and my back was killing me. I lie down on the tub and put him on my chest and tummy. He's getting really wiggly and excited all day today. I sat him up on his butt as I went to get up. He was so top heavy and I lost grip and he fell to his side and hit his head on the fiberglass tub. My wife and I freak out! After he realized what happened, he screamed of course; a bump was already starting to appear; he was all red and crying. We got him dried and I rushed out of the shower. We fumbled around for what seemed like an hour; I pulled What to Expect the First Year, and just looked up anything about head trauma; went to call the Pediatrician office; and got the machine. Got another number for the exchange, called that number to have the doc call us back. Well he is not showing any symptoms of head trauma; the doc thinks it's quite normal; so we are just going to keep an eye on it tonight. We got to make sure he gets up at least once tonight; and really see if he is acting differently tomorrow. We totally got to make sure we have emergency numbers and know exactly which emergency room to go to in case we ever need it.

If the baby doesn't vomit, you're probablly OK. My mom says to observe your kid, and if he/she responds normially as they go through the night (they get up a couple of times a night to eat or be changed, right?), you're likely OK.

The second drop is easier, I hear. Good luck!

^ Sorry to hear, RC. It is scary when it's your first baby. How old is he now?

We had a similar situation with our first. I did a really dumb thing and left him sitting in his Boppy (it's a C-shaped nursing pillow) on the couch. I left the room, heard a thud, and found my 5-WEEK old baby on the floor under the coffee table. He had wiggled out and hit his head on the table. This is the dumbest thing I ever did. He had a bump on his head. We rushed him to urgent care. At this age, the doctor just checks to make sure there is no bulge on top of his soft spot - the fontanel. Also they check the pupils for uneven dilation. Those are the two biggies to look for.

RC - Try this site. It's called "Ask Dr. Sears". It will be your handy companion when you have nervous moments as a parent. For example, here is their page on <a href="http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082300.asp">children's head trauma.</a> It has a lot of very valuable info. I hope this site helps you as much as it has helped me. It has saved us lots of concern over the years.

HMO sent me this book - good one. A manual with flowcharts - kinda like the kid manual for 2 a.m. health concerns.

<A href="http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Care-Your-Child-mass/dp/0738210714">http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Care-Your-Child-mass/dp/0738210714</A>

We use Kids Doc in Mission Viejo:

<a href="http://www.bestkidsdoc.com/">http://www.bestkidsdoc.com/</a>

It's far from Irvine but their hours are very convenient:

Monday - Friday: 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM

Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM

Public Holidays: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM

During flu/cold season the wait can get really long.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1243508948]^ Sorry to hear, RC. It is scary when it's your first baby. How old is he now?

We had a similar situation with our first. I did a really dumb thing and left him sitting in his Boppy (it's a C-shaped nursing pillow) on the couch. I left the room, heard a thud, and found my 5-WEEK old baby on the floor under the coffee table. He had wiggled out and hit his head on the table. This is the dumbest thing I ever did. He had a bump on his head. We rushed him to urgent care. At this age, the doctor just checks to make sure there is no bulge on top of his soft spot - the fontanel. Also they check the pupils for uneven dilation. Those are the two biggies to look for.

RC - Try this site. It's called "Ask Dr. Sears". It will be your handy companion when you have nervous moments as a parent. For example, here is their page on <a href="http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082300.asp">children's head trauma.</a> It has a lot of very valuable info. I hope this site helps you as much as it has helped me. It has saved us lots of concern over the years.</blockquote>

Sometimes, there are IHB posts/threads that make me want to have kids-- tomorrow. Other times, there are IHB forum posts/threads that are excellent birth control. :) I don't really know how I'd classify these scares/events. On one hand, it's an event that helps parents grow, and it will be one of many parenting and child-rearing memories that I would like to have. On the other hand, I cannot imagine the complete freak out (and sometimes guilt, I have been told) associated with such scares/events.

[quote author="Sunshine" date=1243517181]Sometimes, there are IHB posts/threads that make me want to have kids-- tomorrow. Other times, there are IHB forum posts/threads that are excellent birth control. :) I don't really know how I'd classify these scares/events. On one hand, it's an event that helps parents grow, and it will be one of many parenting and child-rearing memories that I would like to have. On the other hand, I cannot imagine the complete freak out (and sometimes guilt, I have been told) associated with such scares/events.</blockquote>

This is one of those birth control threads. I think... if every time I bump my head, or whatever body part if I had to go see the doc, I'd be fawked with medical bills. Then again, I see one of my healthiest friends rip his patella tendon, and I think... fawk... that could be me or my kid needing an ER even when his knee cap is two inches above where it is supposed to be, and it doesn't hurt all that bad, and it could be walked off. He sucked it up, the kid... prolly not so much. I dunno where I would decide what needs to be sucked up and what is real. Thanks to this thread, and many others... birth control is FTW.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1242899207]I like <a href="http://www.woodburymedical.com/">Woodbury Medical Group.</a> They are open 7 days a week (except closed some holidays and I think Memorial Day may be one of them.) M-F from 8-8 and Sat/Sun 8-5. It is a combo med group & urgent care. They take walk-ins. It is a convenient facility that does bloodwork, radiology, etc on site. "Most" insurances accepted. You could call and verify if they take yours. I have a PPO now but I believe I used them when I had an HMO too. Good luck.</blockquote>

Love this pick for doctor - will certainly check them out. The hours are awesome.

What is a good pick for Dentist - especially one good with kids?

What about an orthodontist?

I have four kids, so needs to be on the economical side.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1243508122]We had our first real baby scare tonight. I usually give the baby a bath with me in the tub; well tonight I was just really tired, and my back was killing me. I lie down on the tub and put him on my chest and tummy. He's getting really wiggly and excited all day today. I sat him up on his butt as I went to get up. He was so top heavy and I lost grip and he fell to his side and hit his head on the fiberglass tub. My wife and I freak out! After he realized what happened, he screamed of course; a bump was already starting to appear; he was all red and crying. We got him dried and I rushed out of the shower. We fumbled around for what seemed like an hour; I pulled What to Expect the First Year, and just looked up anything about head trauma; went to call the Pediatrician office; and got the machine. Got another number for the exchange, called that number to have the doc call us back. Well he is not showing any symptoms of head trauma; the doc thinks it's quite normal; so we are just going to keep an eye on it tonight. We got to make sure he gets up at least once tonight; and really see if he is acting differently tomorrow. We totally got to make sure we have emergency numbers and know exactly which emergency room to go to in case we ever need it.</blockquote>

Just for future reference..... your baby's reaction will be equal to your own. So if you FREAK OUT when he gets hurt, then so will he. You would be amazed at how remaining calm influences their reaction.

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1243545109][quote author="roundcorners" date=1243508122]We had our first real baby scare tonight. I usually give the baby a bath with me in the tub; well tonight I was just really tired, and my back was killing me. I lie down on the tub and put him on my chest and tummy. He's getting really wiggly and excited all day today. I sat him up on his butt as I went to get up. He was so top heavy and I lost grip and he fell to his side and hit his head on the fiberglass tub. My wife and I freak out! After he realized what happened, he screamed of course; a bump was already starting to appear; he was all red and crying. We got him dried and I rushed out of the shower. We fumbled around for what seemed like an hour; I pulled What to Expect the First Year, and just looked up anything about head trauma; went to call the Pediatrician office; and got the machine. Got another number for the exchange, called that number to have the doc call us back. Well he is not showing any symptoms of head trauma; the doc thinks it's quite normal; so we are just going to keep an eye on it tonight. We got to make sure he gets up at least once tonight; and really see if he is acting differently tomorrow. We totally got to make sure we have emergency numbers and know exactly which emergency room to go to in case we ever need it.</blockquote>

Just for future reference..... your baby's reaction will be equal to your own. So if you FREAK OUT when he gets hurt, then so will he. You would be amazed at how remaining calm influences their reaction.</blockquote>

That's the same thing that Cesar the Dog Whisperer preaches.

[quote author="Sunshine" date=1243517181]

Sometimes, there are IHB posts/threads that make me want to have kids-- tomorrow. Other times, there are IHB forum posts/threads that are excellent birth control. :) I don't really know how I'd classify these scares/events. On one hand, it's an event that helps parents grow, and it will be one of many parenting and child-rearing memories that I would like to have. On the other hand, I cannot imagine the complete freak out (and sometimes guilt, I have been told) associated with such scares/events.</blockquote>

You definitely learn from your mistakes. It never happened to us again because when you know better, you do better. We went on to have a second baby. The second time, you know what you're doing, all systems are routine, and you feel much more relaxed. I hope I did not scare you into not having kids. :)

[quote author="graphrix" date=1243524126]

This is one of those birth control threads. I think... if every time I bump my head, or whatever body part if I had to go see the doc, I'd be fawked with medical bills. </blockquote>

But that's what I want to point out... you don't have to run to the doctor every time the little one gets hurt. When you are a first-time parent you run to the nearest E.R. at the slightest thing. As you get more experienced, you realize that a lot of times it is really unnecessary and you learn what signs to look for to determine if you need to go to the doctor, or at least if it can wait until the next day when they open. A lot of times the doctor can not do anything differently than you would do at home. Now obviously when they are newborns it can be different. You have to be more careful as they have a lower threshold for things like running a temperature and there are special things you have to look for. I'll give you an example (and this will probably happen)...

You are a first time parent. You put your 9-month old baby to bed. It is late at night and he suddenly wakes up with a loud cough that has a barking sound to it.... a type of cough you've never heard before. He sounds like a seal. You notice he has trouble inhaling and when he does, it has a high-pitched sound. This causes him to cry and the barking cough & difficulties inhaling are amplified. He may or may not be running a low grade fever. His lips are even turning a little blue! Uh-oh! You should:

A) freak out, throw some clothes on while your spouse starts the car and speed to the E.R.

B) perform CPR

C) get him bundled up and take a stroll in the cool night air

D) give him decongestant / Sudafed

Surprisingly, the answer is C. Congratulations, your baby has croup. He is sick with an infection that causes inflammation to his airways. The crisp night air will help open this back up. As you take your walk (or a drive with the windows down), see if he is showing signs of improvement. Many parents choose option A and their child is better before they reach the E.R. because getting in and out of the car, the baby was exposed to the cold air. When you are ready to go back inside, you prepare a humidifier for the room or your may stand near a steamy shower. These will help in the same ways the outside air did. Do not give a decongestant because it will dry out the airways that you are trying to open up. If the baby's symptoms improve and he is able to breathe without struggling, you can let him return to sleep but stay in the room to monitor him. If he sitting up coughing but not struggling to breathe, you are ok. If symptoms improve and the croup gets better, you do not need to see a doctor. If symptoms do not improve, you can take him in. The doctor may administer epinephrine to help him breathe, and may give him some oxygen. Croup can be viral or bacterial. Each will respond to different treatment at the doctor's.

I have been through all of these scenarios myself. With the first baby, we chose option A. With the second baby, option C.

Don't worry, graph, you will not have high doctor bills if you follow simple rules and keep a level head. :) It is also important that parents learn how to treat their children's injuries so as to minimize injury and better their outcome until help is available, if it is needed. (I also highly recommend that parents take a CPR course. It is one of the best things I ever did was become certified before the baby was born.)

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1243547197][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1243545109][quote author="roundcorners" date=1243508122]We had our first real baby scare tonight. I usually give the baby a bath with me in the tub; well tonight I was just really tired, and my back was killing me. I lie down on the tub and put him on my chest and tummy. He's getting really wiggly and excited all day today. I sat him up on his butt as I went to get up. He was so top heavy and I lost grip and he fell to his side and hit his head on the fiberglass tub. My wife and I freak out! After he realized what happened, he screamed of course; a bump was already starting to appear; he was all red and crying. We got him dried and I rushed out of the shower. We fumbled around for what seemed like an hour; I pulled What to Expect the First Year, and just looked up anything about head trauma; went to call the Pediatrician office; and got the machine. Got another number for the exchange, called that number to have the doc call us back. Well he is not showing any symptoms of head trauma; the doc thinks it's quite normal; so we are just going to keep an eye on it tonight. We got to make sure he gets up at least once tonight; and really see if he is acting differently tomorrow. We totally got to make sure we have emergency numbers and know exactly which emergency room to go to in case we ever need it.</blockquote>

Just for future reference..... your baby's reaction will be equal to your own. So if you FREAK OUT when he gets hurt, then so will he. You would be amazed at how remaining calm influences their reaction.</blockquote>

That's the same thing that Cesar the Dog Whisperer preaches.</blockquote>

I wish he could come "whisper" to my husband - he also freaks any time the kids get hurt, no matter how many times I explain to him why he shouldn't.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1243551824][quote author="graphrix" date=1243524126]

This is one of those birth control threads. I think... if every time I bump my head, or whatever body part if I had to go see the doc, I'd be fawked with medical bills. </blockquote>

But that's what I want to point out... you don't have to run to the doctor every time the little one gets hurt. When you are a first-time parent you run to the nearest E.R. at the slightest thing. As you get more experienced, you realize that a lot of times it is really unnecessary and you learn what signs to look for to determine if you need to go to the doctor, or at least if it can wait until the next day when they open. A lot of times the doctor can not do anything differently than you would do at home. Now obviously when they are newborns it can be different. You have to be more careful as they have a lower threshold for things like running a temperature and there are special things you have to look for. I'll give you an example (and this will probably happen)...

You are a first time parent. You put your 9-month old baby to bed. It is late at night and he suddenly wakes up with a loud cough that has a barking sound to it.... a type of cough you've never heard before. He sounds like a seal. You notice he has trouble inhaling and when he does, it has a high-pitched sound. This causes him to cry and the barking cough & difficulties inhaling are amplified. He may or may not be running a low grade fever. His lips are even turning a little blue! Uh-oh! You should:

A) freak out, throw some clothes on while your spouse starts the car and speed to the E.R.

B) perform CPR

C) get him bundled up and take a stroll in the cool night air

D) give him decongestant / Sudafed

Surprisingly, the answer is C. Congratulations, your baby has croup. He is sick with an infection that causes inflammation to his airways. The crisp night air will help open this back up. As you take your walk (or a drive with the windows down), see if he is showing signs of improvement. Many parents choose option A and their child is better before they reach the E.R. because getting in and out of the car, the baby was exposed to the cold air. When you are ready to go back inside, you prepare a humidifier for the room or your may stand near a steamy shower. These will help in the same ways the outside air did. Do not give a decongestant because it will dry out the airways that you are trying to open up. If the baby's symptoms improve and he is able to breathe without struggling, you can let him return to sleep but stay in the room to monitor him. If he sitting up coughing but not struggling to breathe, you are ok. If symptoms improve and the croup gets better, you do not need to see a doctor. If symptoms do not improve, you can take him in. The doctor may administer epinephrine to help him breathe, and may give him some oxygen. Croup can be viral or bacterial. Each will respond to different treatment at the doctor's.

I have been through all of these scenarios myself. With the first baby, we chose option A. With the second baby, option C.

Don't worry, graph, you will not have high doctor bills if you follow simple rules and keep a level head. :) It is also important that parents learn how to treat their children's injuries so as to minimize injury and better their outcome until help is available, if it is needed. (I also highly recommend that parents take a CPR course. It is one of the best things I ever did was become certified before the baby was born.)</blockquote>

I probably would have went for the "steam in the bathroom" scenario. Whoops.

Actually, steam in the bathroom isn't a bad option, especially if the night air is either balmy, or really cold. You can run the shower with warm water, and close the door. Take the baby in, and the higher humidity in the smaller space will generally help open up the airway. Follow up monitoring as listed above is excellent advice!

Back