Ellwood by Richmond American at Beacon Park

Got my stratospheric quote for flooring upgrade from RAH. Did not have to think twice to yell "Standard'.

Any general guidelines on what to expect for removal of existing flooring and install laminate, wood or tile flooring, $/sqft for each?

Cornflakes said:
Got my stratospheric quote for flooring upgrade from RAH. Did not have to think twice to yell "Standard'.

Any general guidelines on what to expect for removal of existing flooring and install laminate, wood or tile flooring, $/sqft for each?

How much did they quote?

I'm sure its obvious, but pick a reputable flooring contractor that has his own crew not someone who picks up guys from HD. Have had many friends that ended up with defects, missing water barriers, jacked up base boards, spacing between boards, etc. Once these contractors get their money, there's no going back.

Irvine Fanatic said:
Cornflakes said:

How much did they quote?

I'm sure its obvious, but pick a reputable flooring contractor that has his own crew not someone who picks up guys from HD. Have had many friends that ended up with defects, missing water barriers, jacked up base boards, spacing between boards, etc. Once these contractors get their money, there's no going back.

I like some tile and the entire downstairs is like 17k. That tile material won't cost me more than 5k retail. I wonder if I can do better than 12k for labor on 1200 sqft area.

TLDR - have good and bad experiences with RAH's design center, but prices are always on the high end.

We didn't op for any flooring from the builder after getting their prices either.

The only "extra" flooring we did was tiles in the bathrooms & laundry room (they had already slated a certain tile upgrade for the home, so it was already in the price).  We didn't like the tile they had picked, so they let us re-pick for all bathrooms - flooring, walls, tub surround, etc.  For laundry, downstairs, and 2ndary upstairs bathrooms we actually chose something cheaper than what they had picked so we used that credit to get something more expensive in the master. In the end what we picked for the master bath floor they couldn't source anymore, we picked something even more expensive, and the builder picked up the extra cost. 

I'm still a little annoyed that they wouldn't let us add additional electrical, natural gas to the backyard, or cat5 wiring even though the drywall had not been put up yet when I requested it (we didn't have our meeting with the design center yet at the time either, this is what I asked for when I randomly stopped by to look at the home)...past the deadline since its a phase 1 home they said.  They've obviously missed the deadline on a ton of homes, but that's in hindsight.  They did however let me add the upgraded insulation even though it was "past the deadline"

Cornflakes said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
Cornflakes said:

How much did they quote?

I like some tile and the entire downstairs is like 17k. That tile material won't cost me more than 5k retail. I wonder if I can do better than 12k for labor on 1200 sqft area.

So about $20k annually in prop tax + mello for a detached condo on a motorcourt.

Actually this one will probably stay single loaded, so much better deal.

akkord said:
No way I'd pay that much for Ellwood, but if someone is willing to pay 1.2 for it, USCTrojan we're going to list...  >:D

Let's do it, no guts no glory.  :D  But we might end up on the WTF listing price thread...how ironic would it be if I had a listing show up on that thread?  haha

So I swung by the community today and noticed this. Not sure what to make of it. I am told that stress cracks are normal, but the amount of cracks on new construction seems a bit odd. This was the only unit that had them. I wonder if the owner knows about this. Anyone have any insight? 

Attachments

• 20160225_132922 (1).jpg
    20160225_132922 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 575
  • 20160225_132917.jpg
    20160225_132917.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 432
Read this somewhere. Not sure if its true.

Let me explain to you the nature of track (residential) home construction. The developer ( I don't call them builders because they don't actually do any building anymore; everything is subbed out ) put out to bid ALL phases of a subdivision. Lowest bid wins the contract. With floor covering, the typical contract costs the developer ZERO, NADA, NOTHING. Here's how it works. The flooring contractor bids the "job" with the bare bones basic floor covering. The cheapest vinyl and carpet the FHA will allow: no hardwood or tile; that's an upgrade. Unless it's a 4x4 finger block parquet entry. But the flooring contractor gets an exclusive on the delelopement. Meaning, no other flooring contractor can work there before a home closes. The buyer must take possesion and close escrow before he can hire his own contractor to work in his house. Before escrow closes, it isn't his house! So the flooring contractor, along with the tile contractor and cabinet company and others, gets to set up a "design center" in the offices or elsewhere. Here, the buyers get to see the "junk" that the home comes with or what they can get as an upgrade. Well, since the flooring contractor gave the developer all the basic flooring for nothing, he charges the buyer big time for the upgrades to make up for that. Almost double market price. The developer often gets a piece of that action, as well as the realtors. Everyones hand is in the pot, so to speak, on the upgrades. Well, the buyer often knows they're getting reamed on the upgrade price but guess what? You can finance that upgrade (roll it into your mortage loan) and have it done BEFORE you move in. NO hassle to you and it will only increase your mortgage by $75. 00 a month. If you hire someone to do it after you move in, you'll have to pay them now. The $5,000.00 + that you need for furniture and window coverings and landscaping. So it's not too hard to see why many choose to have the developer go ahead and do the upgrades, even though they are paying through the nose for them. Everyone (except the buyers) understand this and count on it. Bottom line: Why do the "developers" charge so much? Because they can!
http://www.hardwoodflooringtalk.com...ers-charge-much-for-their-upgrades-t1836.html

Read this somewhere...is nay of it true?

Why do home builders charge so much for their upgrades?

Let me explain to you the nature of track (residential) home construction. The developer ( I don't call them builders because they don't actually do any building anymore; everything is subbed out ) put out to bid ALL phases of a subdivision. Lowest bid wins the contract. With floor covering, the typical contract costs the developer ZERO, NADA, NOTHING. Here's how it works. The flooring contractor bids the "job" with the bare bones basic floor covering. The cheapest vinyl and carpet the FHA will allow: no hardwood or tile; that's an upgrade. Unless it's a 4x4 finger block parquet entry. But the flooring contractor gets an exclusive on the delelopement. Meaning, no other flooring contractor can work there before a home closes. The buyer must take possesion and close escrow before he can hire his own contractor to work in his house. Before escrow closes, it isn't his house! So the flooring contractor, along with the tile contractor and cabinet company and others, gets to set up a "design center" in the offices or elsewhere. Here, the buyers get to see the "junk" that the home comes with or what they can get as an upgrade. Well, since the flooring contractor gave the developer all the basic flooring for nothing, he charges the buyer big time for the upgrades to make up for that. Almost double market price. The developer often gets a piece of that action, as well as the realtors. Everyones hand is in the pot, so to speak, on the upgrades. Well, the buyer often knows they're getting reamed on the upgrade price but guess what? You can finance that upgrade (roll it into your mortage loan) and have it done BEFORE you move in. NO hassle to you and it will only increase your mortgage by $75. 00 a month. If you hire someone to do it after you move in, you'll have to pay them now. The $5,000.00 + that you need for furniture and window coverings and landscaping. So it's not too hard to see why many choose to have the developer go ahead and do the upgrades, even though they are paying through the nose for them. Everyone (except the buyers) understand this and count on it. Bottom line: Why do the "developers" charge so much? Because they can!
http://www.hardwoodflooringtalk.com...ers-charge-much-for-their-upgrades-t1836.html

oceanmonkey said:
Is Ellwood completely sold out?
What's the final price?

Last I checked 2 models and 2 last phase lots were still for sale, but that was over a week ago. 

akkord said:
oceanmonkey said:
Is Ellwood completely sold out?
What's the final price?

Last I checked 2 models and 2 last phase lots were still for sale, but that was over a week ago.

there was an offer on one of those model (nolan?), and i believe one of the last phase lot has a reserve down. the last nolan (without a deck) was still available. this was late last week when i went in.

we're finally closing in about a week. will see how that goes heh.

I know there was lots of demand for Nolan or homes with deck.  I am comparing Nolan with Melody, Welton to estimate Nolan.

1. How much is Nolan(A or B or C) true worth in today's market.

2. How much are they asking for Phase 11 Nolan A which is still up for sale?

3 Why no buyers for most demanded Nolan? Phase 11 still has one left!

Any analysis?

Back