Ellwood by Richmond American at Beacon Park

irvinehomeshopper said:
I really appreciate feedbacks and being here and the earlier IHB forum I learned a lot about all of you. As I design I have on my wall board your handles and check you off as I finish my design. Unfortunately density and scarcity of land I can't accomplish everything. I could never check off some of you like "IHO" the lot is never wide enough. I really appreciate the Cal Pac comments. This builder really raises the bar for entry level housing. I have been collecting a lot of data here and I know I can even do better the next time. I will be designing many more projects and master planning this future city to fit your lifestyle at the Great Park.

IHS, did you design CalPac's Mericort?  We used to live in Plan 4 and loved it.  We actually had a hard time finding a move up home because our targeted 2,400-2,800 sf felt as big as the Mericort home.  CalPac (and their designers) really built a quality home.  Too bad they keep their market to entry level homes.   

Yes I designed Mericort and thrilled to hear you loved your home. I designed the very first green court (motor court/paseo entry) project in Irvine.
Harajuku said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
I really appreciate feedbacks and being here and the earlier IHB forum I learned a lot about all of you. As I design I have on my wall board your handles and check you off as I finish my design. Unfortunately density and scarcity of land I can't accomplish everything. I could never check off some of you like "IHO" the lot is never wide enough. I really appreciate the Cal Pac comments. This builder really raises the bar for entry level housing. I have been collecting a lot of data here and I know I can even do better the next time. I will be designing many more projects and master planning this future city to fit your lifestyle at the Great Park.

IHS, did you design CalPac's Mericort?  We used to live in Plan 4 and loved it.  We actually had a hard time finding a move up home because our targeted 2,400-2,800 sf felt as big as the Mericort home.  CalPac (and their designers) really built a quality home.  Too bad they keep their market to entry level homes.   

ps9 said:
@ akkord and captain boba

So what were the other homes you were shopping for?

TLDR - we had our personal reasons for disliking certain areas, but Ellwood worked out for us.

I guess I can type up a bit of what we personally went through the past couple years.  We've been looking on and off for the past couple of years.  We currently own in Tustin Ranch and planning on keeping our current place after we move to Ellwood.  Any renter's looking in the November timeframe? =D

With the decision made not to sell, we didn't want to buy anything over a million and started to look at re-sales, but to be honest we didn't really see much we liked or they were priced too high to what we would have wanted to do to the homes after renovations/remodeling.  Putting in another 100-150k right after a purchase would have been a hard pill to swallow in an already high priced Irvine/Tustin market.  We looked at homes in Tustin and in Irvine.  We made an offer on a Northwood 2 home few months ago and got outbid by an all cash offer.  We also put in a couple lowball offers on short sales to see if we would get lucky.  We were specifically looking for a 4/3 with a bedroom downstairs for when guests/in-laws/parents visit and some of the older homes didn't have the open feel we like either. 

I really like the Oak Creek neighborhood, but for the size of house we were looking for and the amount we want to pay, we were priced out. 

So with re-sale off the list we looked at new builds.  We were about to pull the trigger in PP last year, but I was in the process of potentially moving to LA for work and we decided to hold off, we ended up staying in Irvine.  By the time we made a final decision to stay in Irvine, OH was about to open.  The location is great for the views, but the split school district and the location wasn't where we personally preferred to be, so we scratched OH off the list.

Wife doesn't like the Stonegate neighborhood and the way it looks.  Off the list.

CV was too close to the 5 freeway for us.  I guess it depends where in CV you are, our friends bought there and love it.  They said with the windows closed they can't hear a thing, but with it open they can definitely hear the 5. 

We had been deferring Sheldon since phase 1 waiting for BP to open.  The iffy school district, proximity to Jamboree, & traffic at the District is already horrible, so highly doubtful I would have bought here and if my wife convinced me to do so, most likely after 2 years I would have pushed my wife to look again.

In the end Ellwood worked out for us, the proximity to the new school and where we work were huge pluses for us.  And being in phase 1 and hoping each phase pricing goes up, who doesn't like to look at that equity on paper... ;D

ps9 said:
@ akkord and captain boba

So what were the other homes you were shopping for?

for us the plan was always to get a place in PP for the in-laws and then we follow suit with one nearby. though it ended up being in reverse (us being in the PP lot and them maybe being in the BP one, we'll figure it out later)

we were basically looking at all other BP homes in the 900-1mil price range (so Plan 1 & 2 Welton from Taylor Morrison) - Harper's plan 3 floor plan was a bit of a no go.

we had okay/good experience with Richmond's local team last time - and I think Ellwood is a decisively better product than Birch Trail. couple that with the premium lots in phase 1 + terrace and it makes a lot of compelling sense. i think if we were 3-4 phases in and the price creeps to mid-high 900s then it won't make as much sense

Designing homes in Irvine is like cheating on the final exam where all the answers are all right here in Talk Irvine. Just follow the answers somewhere in the 150,000 threads. Then one will ace the test. It's free and no need to spend $$$$$$ on some random inaccurate focus groups.

irvinehomeshopper said:
9' plate first floor, 16" floor joist system, 9' plate 2nd floor, 24" roof deck and 9' plate roof terrace and 16" canopy.

does this mean the elevation A roof will always block the view from other house's deck?

Clever question! Elevation A styles are all single stories with bedrooms in the roof attic.

oceanmonkey said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
9' plate first floor, 16" floor joist system, 9' plate 2nd floor, 24" roof deck and 9' plate roof terrace and 16" canopy.

does this mean the elevation A roof will always block the view from other house's deck?

irvinehomeshopper said:
Clever question! Elevation A styles are all single stories with bedrooms in the roof attic.

oceanmonkey said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

when you plan this elevation A style, did you know how high the completed building will be? seems to be the A style roof is much higher than the other elevations, and could potentially block all the views from surrounding houses.

Apex of roof line of elevation A is 22' and eye level of Asian on the roof deck= 9'+1.33'+9'+ 1.81'+4.99999999999999999999999'=26.139999999999'> Twenty two feet of Elevation A (single story homes with upper floor built in to the roof attic)

This is the reason why I chose Elevation A to be a 1919 Sears Roebuck Cottage style where the roof lines are all ONE story where the upper story living space is trigonometrically calculated into the precise available cubic volume spaces alloted inside the roof shape rather than an awful McMansion consisting a box on top of another box wearing a huge hat (roof) just like every Mcmasions littered all over Irvine. I hope you grasp this fundamental concept.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Apex of roof line of elevation A is 22' and eye level of Asian on the roof deck= 9'+1.33'+9'+ 1.81'+4.99999999999999999999999'=26.139999999999'> Twenty two feet of Elevation A (single story homes with upper floor built in to the roof attic)

This is the reason why I chose Elevation A to be a 1919 Sears Roebuck Cottage style where the roof lines are all ONE story where the upper story living space is trigonometrically calculated into the precise available cubic volume spaces alloted inside the roof shape rather than an awful McMansion consisting a box on top of another box wearing a huge hat (roof) just like every Mcmasions littered all over Irvine. I hope you grasp this fundamental concept.

When your comments aren't cryptic and mysterious, they're condescending and self-aggrandizing. Quite an accomplishment.

Perspective said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

When your comments aren't cryptic and mysterious, they're condescending and self-aggrandizing. Quite an accomplishment.
And if said person is sitting or laying down on deck chair...do they still have clearance? I presume the 4.9999 is your so called height being applied? 

Guardrail by code is 42". Eye level sitting down is 45.999999999" just 3.9999999999" above the top of wall. When sitting down the top of wall is the visual obstruction regardless of the neighboring roofs. Hey this is the internet I don't need to be politically correct.

Which part may I ask that offended you?x%#xy&@ leaving my comment encrypted.

Perspective said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

irvinehomeshopper said:

why does it have anything to do with Asian eye level? you certainly didn't mind taking Asian money in your paycheck.

Because I am trying to demonstrate the lowest vanishing point elevation, the worst case scenario, still clear the adjacent roof ridges of elevation A. Had I use a higher vanishing point then you would say I am cheating by using a tall person an unlikely candidate by most opinions not the buyer demographic.

oceanmonkey said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

why does it have anything to do with Asian eye level? you certainly didn't mind taking Asian money in your paycheck.

irvinehomeshopper said:

Perspective said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

It's very difficult to offend me. I'm just sharing how your comments read. The grammar is poor too, for what it's worth.

irvinehomeshopper said:

IHS, I have a lot of respect on your knowledge about housing architecture and such .. but the one above has like 40+ words on first sentence, 70+ words on the second sentence without pause and with lots of technical jargons.  that's a handful ... :)

Agreed
Perspective said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Perspective said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

It's very difficult to offend me. I'm just sharing how your comments read. The grammar is poor too, for what it's worth.

Back