Economic policy McCain vs Obama... who wins for you and why?

[quote author="jefa" date=1222043959]I'm talking farm plans and public works. Which, incidentally, should make you commodities traders think a little more about what you're doing. We could be subsidizing a lot of food, or asking a lot of it to get plowed under depending on what they think is important.</blockquote>

I can't blame California's experiment with deregulation and Enron's manulipation for my career change from farming to something else, but I can tell you the last year I was a grower we spent more than half the previous years pretax earnings on a backup generator for a cold storage that got used.......exactly zero times. Just one more log on a burning fire? Sure. Did it help?

No. I'm sure my 160 employees didn't appreciate it one bit when we went bust either.

I wrote a little about farm subsidies <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/2048/">here</a>. US farm subsidies are consistantly misunderstood and maligned.

Living with all these uber-liberals in Califorina, I have been forced to read "The Ominovore's Dillemma" which, I hate to say, has probably radicalized me a bit about the American "subsidy" system. The rest of my knowledge is from growing up around farms, and being raised in a family where my grandparents and great grandparents (still living when I was young) were farmers as well (Arkansas and Mississippi). From the intellectual perspective, and from the real world perspective, farming is a political and bankers game as well.

But, from the very old old free market days, I think farming needs to have some political and banking games. It's very easy to have a bunch of farmers producing the same goods, and too much on the market means they can't sell for a profit. Even if you didn't have to factor in Government sheninagins, you still can be unprofitable even when you did everything right (Unless you are able to have a market-wide monopoly type agreement between all individual farmers to tag exactly what the production will be and an agreement on what the target price should be.... which would favor mega-farmers who need razor thin profits). So I don't advocate throwing the baby out with the bath water. You need some human made system to protect you from the vagaries of mother nature, the inability to control how much other individuals produce, and from the machinations of other governments and banking systems. Or at least a human made system to negotiate on your behalf through this minefield.

I see why the system we have in place exists, though from reading Omnivore's Dillemma, I think the old FDR plan was closer to a solution than the new plan is. It all needs work.

Don't know if that's much in line with how you feel about it no-vas. Just my perspective.

[quote author="jefa" date=1222120327]

Don't know if that's much in line with how you feel about it no-vas. Just my perspective.</blockquote>

Razor thin margins are a way of life in farming. What has changed is farming itself. It used to be a industry of generalists (you were an OK agronomist, and OK mechanic, an OK marketing guy, an OK cost accountant) and it has changed to an industry that requires specialized precision in all fields. This puts the little guy at a significant disadvantage, but it's not impossible. My parents still farm, and I know my dad has the lowest cost of production for any given crop of anyone in the region, and has a fairly small operation (for a California grower). It is a relentless ammount of work to keep that competitive cost advantage.

Under the stalemate known as the Clinton/Gingrich years, a farm program was created that virtually wiped out subsidies over ten years. In year 8 (2004), Karl Rove decided they needed to deliver a couple of voting blocks in Iowa and Kansas. Much to the dismay of the USDA bureaucrats (who spent a decade weaning growers off the old program), subsidies were back overnight and with a vengence.

The price is so high for ag commidities right now the subsidies are non-existant because the adjusted world price exceeds the strike price. Grain crops aren't ever farmed in California for the subsidy (the water is too expensive, the crop must cash flow on it's on accord), there is no tobacco, cotton is obsolete, and fresh fruit/vegetables are exempt from subsidies. Those midwestern guys really stink up the show for the growers in California, but you'll be hard pressed to find a California grower who will go to guns another US based grower.

Research for yourself?

You are The Boss... which team would you hire?

With America facing historic debt, multiple war fronts, stumbling health care, a weakened dollar, all-time high prison population, skyrocketing Federal spending, mortgage crises, bank foreclosures, etc. etc., this is an unusually critical election year. The idea of ?leadership? must be broadened from mere ?experience? to include knowledge, learnedness and insight.

Let's look at the educational background of your two options:

Obama:

Occidental College - Two years.

Columbia University - B.A. political science with a specialization in international relations.

Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

& Biden:

University of Delaware - B.A. in history and B.A. in political science.

Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

vs.

McCain:

United States Naval Academy - Class rank 894 of 899

& Palin:

Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester

North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study

University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism

Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester

University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in journalism

Now, which team are you going to hire ?

Back