Eastwood vs SG vs Woodbury vs PS

yoyo2012

I'm trying to get an idea of differences between neighborhoods and resale value in a few years for models with similar floorplans (we're looking more towards the 3bdrm townhomes 1500-1900sqft)

I know that Eastwood will go to Northwood high school while others will be the new Portolla high school. From my understand, that's a plus for Eastwood? Also, MR seems higher in PS vs Woodbury/SG/Eastwood.

Portolla Springs seem to be the cheaper of the 4 right now, although not really by much.

yoyo2012 said:
I'm trying to get an idea of differences between neighborhoods and resale value in a few years for models with similar floorplans (we're looking more towards the 3bdrm townhomes 1500-1900sqft)

I know that Eastwood will go to Northwood high school while others will be the new Portolla high school. From my understand, that's a plus for Eastwood? Also, MR seems higher in PS vs Woodbury/SG/Eastwood.

Portolla Springs seem to be the cheaper of the 4 right now, although not really by much.

We are you concerned about resale value in a few years?

I think we might end up "upgrading" in 5-10 years so I am wondering what might appreciate more. What might be easier to rent (if we decide to keep this as a rental). Basically, I'm trying to figure out how they rank in terms of desirability of neighborhood.

It's really too hard to talk about re-sale between SG and Eastwood IMO.  PS has always been the forgotten area of TIC development...I mean they're still selling Sage after close to 7-8 years.  PS3 is interesting but I think it will get overshadowed by PP and BP.

According to Redfin:

PS is selling for an average of $408/square feet and SG is selling at $437/square feet. 
Woodbury averages $454.

Of course, this is probably skewed due to new home sales but I feel like SG will get more than PS by $20-30/sq. ft.

I still don't have a sense of Eastwood yet.  Location is better than SG but I do not know what the density will be like.  Also, I think that IUSD will open up another HS to serve Woodbury/SG/Eastwood in the next 4-5 years.

Partly depends on which of the 4 new schools in PS, BP and EW snags the coveted blue ribbon, if any, in next 5 years. What kind of retail scene develops in BP area, how the GP development comes around and how desirable it is for buyers. Just too many things can change in too many ways in 5 years. As of now, EW seems to be leading the pack in $/sqft.

I would think that between all 4 villages, the % appreciation (or not) probably won't be too far off from each other. You just choose what you want to bet - ~$400/sqft or ~$450/sqft or something in between.

We have many realtors on TI. They can weigh in weather I am utterly mistaken.

BP doesn't have a big appeal to me. The melorooz going up 2% every year is a big deterrent.

I'm having trouble rating Eastwood. Not sure if it being further from GP is a good or bad thing. Traffic might be better. Woodbury does have better retail area close by and a sligthly better feel when walking around than SG for isntance (and PS).

yoyo2012 said:
BP doesn't have a big appeal to me. The melorooz going up 2% every year is a big deterrent.

I'm having trouble rating Eastwood. Not sure if it being further from GP is a good or bad thing. Traffic might be better. Woodbury does have better retail area close by and a sligthly better feel when walking around than SG for isntance (and PS).

My take is different.  If economy is good I think GP has much more upside than SG and EW just because of the different product, next to the Great Park (forget about the cemetery) etc that sets it apart.

SG and EW really have nothing special about them in comparison to other Irvine Villages.

Irvine Dream said:
yoyo2012 said:

My take is different.  If economy is good I think GP has much more upside than SG and EW just because of the different product, next to the Great Park (forget about the cemetery) etc that sets it apart.

SG and EW really have nothing special about them in comparison to other Irvine Villages.

GP is built on a former marine base and will take many years to actually build out.  It is also not near "central" Irvine (i.e. Marketplace). 

I think they will in general go up the same percentage from where they are today.

Woodbridge has the lakes and pools. Northwood USED to be sooooooooo far from anything (talking about late 1970s)  Before we lived in Irvine, I remember people saying, but Woodbridge has the lakes/pools and Northwood is too far from anything. And yet Northwood has appreciated just as much as Woodbridge.

Years from now, SG, PS, BP will all just be resale properties. There will be newer homes that people will want to buy and then there will be resales. Same as now.

Imo, Orchard Park will be a cut above SG, PS, BP but the TUSD side is still going to be sold for less than what they could have gotten if they were IUSD.

And Hidden Canyon still going to be premium.

If I had to pick one spot in Irvine I like the best, it would be Shady Canyon.

Ready2Downsize said:
Before we lived in Irvine, I remember people saying, but Woodbridge has the lakes/pools and Northwood is too far from anything. And yet Northwood has appreciated just as much as Woodbridge.
Not sure if that's 100% accurate.
If I had to pick one spot in Irvine I like the best, it would be Shady Canyon.
I'd probably prefer to live there than Newport Beach.

But I'd settle for the highlands in Quail Hill.

Nope............ 100% accurate. We were looking to buy in Irvine and asking those who lived in Irvine for their thoughts............ Woodbridge has the pools/lakes and Northwood is far from everything. Even in the 90's Bryan was one lane in each direction and you might have to drive behind a tractor from one of the farms. Bryan and Culver was a four way stop.

We were looking before Westpark and LONG before Northwood Pointe. I think (not 100% sure) Woodbridge was newer and Northwood had been built for a while. Office buildings were on the southern part of Irvine, so to get to those you passed by Woodbridge.

@R2D:

What I meant by 100% accurate is your opinion on appreciation.

I think Woodbridge has appreciated a bit more than Northwood (I'm not counting NWP or NP/NPS, I'm counting the hoods that were built around the same time).

When we were looking a while ago, we compared Northwood to Woodbridge and similar sized/aged homes were cheaper in Northwood. I'm too lazy to do a Redfin analytic but I think that still holds true now.

PS3 prices will be appreciated by the Great Park developments, but the section 8 housing... I don't know how that will affect it.

I think it's obvious Eastwood will be the most coveted because of its nice location, it's not on toxic land, it has its own elementary school, the community is sized well, it is surrounded by hiking/biking trails, zoing for Northwood High, and very importantly it has less tax than GP.

I don't disagree with these comments, but I can't help but feel it's not the best time to buy. prices are high, slowing economy Etc.

acf said:
I don't disagree with these comments, but I can't help but feel it's not the best time to buy. prices are high, slowing economy Etc.

I feel the same way.  This time there are multiple factors that could come all crashing down.  Bubble in the Private Equity markets, ETF Bonds from subprime business lending, housing prices are close to prior levels before the subprime home loans (at least in Irvine), all my clients have experience a big slow down starting in Nov 2015, forecasts are down in most of the sectors, China has a $28 Trillion Dollar debt and I thought our $17 Trillion was bad.  German markets are starting to show a slowdown in their growth.  Our growth has been lackluster overall.  Oil at below $30/brl and our markets can't bounce back from that.  ...

Yeah, things are not looking good. yet phase 1,2 and 3 Petaluma have all sold out in the first couple weeks. I really don't get it.

I agree that the new home price is high and the economy is not picking up, kind of down in the future. If you consider to buy a new home as a resale investment, this is not a good time to buy. It is better to wait and see the economy situation in 2016. Plus we will vote for new president. Historically the home price is kind of flat or down during the hottest political season.

acf said:
Yeah, things are not looking good. yet phase 1,2 and 3 Petaluma have all sold out in the first couple weeks. I really don't get it.

Don't fight the trend. :)

We've seem this many time on TI, many new home that are thought to be mediocre turn out to be a real winner in turn of popularity and sales.  Petaluma's floor plan is not something that will win architecture award but it is very good and all the Petaluma's predecessor at various village are all hot sellers.  Now you have a very popular floor plan at a very favorable village with low MR and HOA, it will continue to sell very well.

yoyo2012 said:

Don't know which planet you came from , but we are doing fine in here at PS :) , with woodbury town center 1.2 miles (4 min drive) or 15 min walk - its a nice, clean, brand new affordable community where you may get more bang for your buck as my condo is linked with NorthWood High, PS Elementary and forgot the name of the 3rd school ...and blue ribbon is a mystery

Back