Eastwood Mosquito Farm (sad face)

soysen

So, I'm looking at the Eastwood map and I see a large area to the southwest designated as "NTS Basin". Having no idea what that is I googled it and found it to be a man made wetlands for capturing urban run-off. It's a means of allowing the earth to absorb contaminants. The problem is this basin is basically a giant collection pool of dirty water. I can only imagine the mosquitoes that will thrive off this standing water. Great.

So besides the large landfill and trailer park next door, we now have a mosquito farm next to this community as well.

soysen said:
So, I'm looking at the Eastwood map and I see a large area to the southwest designated as "NTS Basin". Having no idea what that is I googled it and found it to be a man made wetlands for capturing urban run-off. It's a means of allowing the earth to absorb contaminants. The problem is this basin is basically a giant collection pool of dirty water. I can only imagine the mosquitoes that will thrive off this standing water. Great.

So besides the large landfill and trailer park next door, we now have a mosquito farm next to this community as well.

These flood basins are all over Irvine, not just Eastwood.  Most of the time, they're dry.  I only see them fill with water after it rains a lot. The water isn't stagnant but filters through multiple layers of rock and gravel.  When there is abundant amount of water, the pools fill and attract all sorts of migrating birds.  I've seen herons, pelicans and cranes... and you know what IHS says about cranes.

The flood basins themselves aren't bad.  They are actually really nicely designed by the Irvine Ranch Water District. But maybe you don't know why they're there in the first place.  North of Irvine, just beyond the dump, lies the Santiago Dam, holding back the largest body of freshwater in Orange County - Irvine Lake.  Should the dam break, much of Irvine lies within the flood path, and those flood basins are designed to mitigate the damage.  So instead of worrying about a few mosquito bites, maybe you should question if your house is in a flood zone.  You'll know because you'll be required to take out flood insurance.  One more reason why Foothill Ranch is better than Irvine, right SoCal?

NTS basins are found throughout Irvine.  I believe it is a non-issue, or else Turtle Ridge and Quail Hill residents will be up in arms and storming city hall with pitchforks.  Since you seem to worry much..... do you know there is an asphalt factory hidden down Jeffrey north of Portola?

soysen said:
These flood basins are all over Irvine, not just Eastwood.  Most of the time, they're dry.  I only see them fill with water after it rains a lot. The water isn't stagnant but filters through multiple layers of rock and gravel.  When there is abundant amount of water, the pools fill and attract all sorts of migrating birds.  I've seen herons, pelicans and cranes... and you know what IHS says about cranes.

The flood basins themselves aren't bad.  They are actually really nicely designed by the Irvine Ranch Water District. But maybe you don't know why they're there in the first place.  North of Irvine, just beyond the dump, lies the Santiago Dam, holding back the largest body of freshwater in Orange County - Irvine Lake.  Should the dam break, much of Irvine lies within the flood path, and those flood basins are designed to mitigate the damage.  So instead of worrying about a few mosquito bites, maybe you should question if your house is in a flood zone.  You'll know because you'll be required to take out flood insurance.  One more reason why Foothill Ranch is better than Irvine, right SoCal?

nice spin with the migrating birds. Here's what the birds are bathing in.

"Urban runoff is any water that flows into storm drains when there are no storms.... This water carries trash, fertilizers and other contaminants with it, polluting our local streams and the ocean."

Sounds like dirty, standing water to me don't you think?

soysen said:
soysen said:

Since spin with the migrating birds. Here's what the birds are bathing in.

"Urban runoff is any water that flows into storm drains when there are no storms.... This water carries trash, fertilizers and other contaminants with it, polluting our local streams and the ocean."

Ok, you've got me.  I'm really an IRWD shill who has concocted a migrating bird story to convince you to buy in Eastwood.

That sir, is a mobile home park across the street that shares it's name with the most prestigious community in all the land. 

WTTCHMN said:
soysen said:
soysen said:

Since spin with the migrating birds. Here's what the birds are bathing in.

Ok, you've got me.  I'm really an IRWD shill who has concocted a migrating bird story to convince you to buy in Eastwood.

You've convinced me that besides trash, earthquake, and trailer park insurance...I now also need to buy flood insurance on top of that.

There is a huge open area in Woodbury at the corner of Jeffrey and Trabuco. Is that a basin as well? You can see drains, little standing water when on JOST.

ChasingRainbows said:
There is a huge open area in Woodbury at the corner of Jeffrey and Trabuco. Is that a basin as well? You can see drains, little standing water when on JOST.

Ah yes, little standing water...even mosquitoes have to suffer like the rest of us do with tiny standing lots (some zero dot line ones.)

These basins you folks are worried about are actually retention basins to allow for the rain water that lands on all of eastwood to be collected and percolate into the ground.  As a rule of thumb, if you develop an area and create more impervious areas such as sidewalks and asphalted roads that water lost its ability to recharge into the ground.  It cannot be diverted onto other local areas and create flooding issues.  That is why they are there.  I don't know what local ordinances require but I know in LA County, the water in those basins are not supposed to remain in there for more than 72 hours for vector control (mosquitoes) purposes.

Flood zone?  More like drought zone with folks having that desert motif landscaping. 
But then again, they said this El Ni?o is supposed to be the greatest in recent history.

eqly said:
These basins you folks are worried about are actually retention basins to allow for the rain water that lands on all of eastwood to be collected and percolate into the ground.  As a rule of thumb, if you develop an area and create more impervious areas such as sidewalks and asphalted roads that water lost its ability to recharge into the ground.  It cannot be diverted onto other local areas and create flooding issues.  That is why they are there.  I don't know what local ordinances require but I know in LA County, the water in those basins are not supposed to remain in there for more than 72 hours for vector control (mosquitoes) purposes.

72 hours? I'm pretty sure that's not happening. I've see standing water all the time at the Woodbury basin. I also see standing, brownish green, smelly water all the time at those man made creeks on Trabuco and Barranca.

soysen said:

There's no way that these are mosquito breeding grounds. Besides the nuisance factor, mosquitos transmit West Nile virus (and other diseases), and there's a tremendous effort by public health authorities to eliminate stagnant bodies of water. If there is stagnant water, there's no doubt that it's being treated to NOT serve as mosquito breeding grounds. This is one issue I wouldn't worry about.

NYT said:
soysen said:

There's no way that these are mosquito breeding grounds. Besides the nuisance factor, mosquitos transmit West Nile virus (and other diseases), and there's a tremendous effort by public health authorities to eliminate stagnant bodies of water. If there is stagnant water, there's no doubt that it's being treated to NOT serve as mosquito breeding grounds. This is one issue I wouldn't worry about.

Really? It's good to trust the "authorities", but have you seen the man made creeks or basins around Woodbury? There's standing water there ALL THE TIME. Hate to break it to you, but our "authorities" aren't perfect, and the basins/creeks they make aren't perfect either. Have you smelled the ongoing stench at the creek near Paseo Westpark? Have you noticed the perpetual pool of stagnant water at the Woodbury basin?

Back