Earthquake?

aquabliss said:
Earthquake insurance in 92618 is way cheaper than in 92620 so I got it now just in case... I figure if the big one hits the earthquake authority will go bankrupt anyways but you never know.

The Fed can always print more money.

gpquest said:
aquabliss said:
Earthquake insurance in 92618 is way cheaper than in 92620 so I got it now just in case... I figure if the big one hits the earthquake authority will go bankrupt anyways but you never know.

Nothing to do with earthquake insurance. (unless I?m misssing something)

eyephone said:
gpquest said:
aquabliss said:

Nothing to do with earthquake insurance. (unless I?m misssing something)

Correct.  Fed cannot fix a bankrupt "earthquake authority".  It will be up to the politicians if they want to bail them out ..

On earthquake insurance, the CEA (California Earthquake Authority) has $9 billion reserve vs the 1994 Northridge quake caused $15.3 billion in damages ($25.6 billion in 2017 dollars).  Although lower deductible insurance is sometimes avail, most purchasers of earthquake insurance opt for higher deductible.  I did purchase earthquake insurance for my properties, but I buy $100K-$150K SFR's and I'm OK with the higher deductible -- just insuring them for total loss.

Consider Los Angeles County alone has over 10 million residents, Orange County 3 million, and Riverside County 2.5 million.  An area-wide disaster here is well beyond FEMA's capacity to assist.  If an earthquake knocks out the aqueduct, pumps, and road infrastructure, we'd be screwed when the tap is dry.

One of the cheapest method of disaster prop is to store portable water.  Water jugs are plenty and easy to fill from your tap.  If you rotate your stock every month and use the old water to water your plants (or refill toilet tank), it doesn't really cost much.  The largest expense is buying a sturdy shelf to store the water jugs.  Lifestraw also sells a larger sized portable water purifier for about $75 that's nice to have.

If it's an emergency and you gots no water lots of people are going to look to their pools.

Use the swimming pool water for washing/cleaning.  You should store drinking water separately.

If you absolutely have to drink pool water, you should filter and boil before consumption.  Water with chlorine levels up to 4 ppm is generally considered safe to drink in emergencies.

As for how to boil the water, solar kettles are expensive, for the price you can buy low end solar ovens and boil the water in the pot.  Portable stoves (commonly used for hotpot) and gas cartridges are fairly inexpensive.  Propane prices are down too, though the tanks are expensive.

Back