Earthquake

NewToOC_IHB

OC Register hasn't listed an article yet. Is there a good local site locals use for this kind of thing? That was my first earth quake.

[quote author="CalGal" date=1217384946]That was my first earthquake - and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like them. :p</blockquote>

I say it just depends upon where and when it hits....

:lol:

-bix

[quote author="25w100k+" date=1217392663]newbs. ;-)</blockquote>
Yeah, I guess you have to get used to them.

I grew up in Blizzard and Hurricane country - and they never scared me.

This shaking stuff is all new to me - and scary!

Maybe it's because you don't know they are coming like a Hurricane or Blizzard.

It was oddly exciting. The 10-15 minutes between it happening and the news coming out on the web, etc. was the oddest part for me.

[quote author="CalGal" date=1217384946]That was my first earthquake - and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like them. :p</blockquote>

Same here. Not my first, but I definitely don't like them.

Here's a question I haven't seen an answer for yet - maybe one of you guys know what to do. We're always told to contact a family member or someone outside of the area to check in; however, today there was a serious problem with landlines and with my Verizon service - no service for quite some time. What the heck are we supposed to do to contact someone outside the area when the phones don't work?

Chances are some of the cell networks will work. Sprint and Nextel networks were working for me. Also sometimes text and push-to-talk work when voice doesn't. Worst case wait it out. I lived in the DC area during 9-11 and the same thing happened but after a few hours pretty much everyone was able to get a line out.

[quote author="Anon." date=1217394323][quote author="CalGal" date=1217384946]That was my first earthquake - and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like them. :p</blockquote>

Same here. Not my first, but I definitely don't like them.

Here's a question I haven't seen an answer for yet - maybe one of you guys know what to do. We're always told to contact a family member or someone outside of the area to check in; however, today there was a serious problem with landlines and with my Verizon service - no service for quite some time. What the heck are we supposed to do to contact someone outside the area when the phones don't work?</blockquote>

E-mail worked just fine to check in. In the other thread, someone suggested texting.

What I would <strong><u>STRONGLY</u></strong> advise is this: If you do not have an emergency situation (i.e., fire, injury, gas leak, broken water main), <strong><u>DON'T USE YOUR PHONE</u></strong>. In an emergency situation the phone lines are ONLY to be used for reporting an emergency and for the use of emergency workers. This was drilled into me many years ago, but many people don't seem to follow it anymore.

If you need to check in, yes, call a number out of state. While the phone lines may be down, the interstate lines come back more quickly (likely because the local lines are tied up by locals).

Scary quote from CNN article:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/29/earthquake.ca/index.html

"This is a sample, a small sample," said Kate Hutton, a seismologist at the California Institute of Technology.

"This is somewhere between small and moderate." She said there is a 5 percent chance the quake could be a precursor to a larger earthquake. After 24 hours, she said, that chance will drop to 1 percent.

For those interested . . .

The Orange County Chapter of the Red Cross is presenting their

<a href="http://www.oc-redcross.org/show.aspx?mi=4614#General">24th ANNUAL DISASTER PREPAREDNESS ACADEMY</a>

October 1, 2008

Anaheim Convention Center

Their mission is to provide information to the community

regarding preparedness planning, mitigation, response skills

and recovery operations. The Academy is a unique venue in

that we target all audiences in our community.

This public-private collaboration is essential for

emergency/disaster preparedness and business continuity.

I just came back from the first of eight sessions for this free CEPA class. The class wasn't completely full, so there may be space available if anyone is interested. I found the class quite interesting, so I thought I would share this with anyone who was interested.

The City of Rancho Santa Margarita is hosting an eight week <a href="http://www.cityofrsm.org/news/displaynews.asp?NewsID=322&TargetID=1">Community Emergency Preparedness Academy (CEPA)</a> that will provide residents with that critical information. The goal of CEPA is to provide residents with information and skills to help sustain them for up to 72 hours without the support of emergency responders.

The first class will be held on Tuesday, September 9th from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at the Bell Tower Regional Community Center, located at 22232 El Paseo. Classes will continue every Tuesday for the next eight weeks ending on October 28th with a mock-disaster scenario and final review of all the skills learned in the previous seven weeks.

The class is free and participants will learn:

- Earthquake Preparedness

- Fire Safety and Fire Extinguisher Use

- Basic First Aid

- CPR and Defibrillators

- Water Treatment Techniques

- And much more!

After completing all eight sessions, participants will be trained how to prepare their homes, themselves and their families for emergencies; and how to help their community prepare for and deal with larger emergencies.

Let me know if you plan on attending. It's always nice meeting fellow bloggers. :)

Back