EARTHQUAKE!!!

Dont know...b

The 1994 Northridge earthquake under Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley was magnitude 6.7. It killed 72 people, injured more than 9,000 and caused $25 billion in damage in the metropolitan area.

The damage created by an earthquake depends greatly on where it hits. A 7.1 quake?much stronger than Northridge?hit the Mojave Desert in 1999 but caused only a few injuries and no deaths.

California is one of the world's most seismically active regions. More than 300 faults crisscross the state, which sits atop two of Earth's major tectonic plates, the Pacific and North American plates. About 10,000 quakes each year rattle Southern California alone, although most of them are too small to be felt.

[quote author="arctichaze" date=1217383582]i heard there was a small quake at San Bernardino at 4am this morning?</blockquote>

Posting from the 15th floor of a LA downtown highrise. The building was swinging like crazy. My coworker was actually in the restroom at the time. Poor guy...

[quote author="arctichaze" date=1217383582]i heard there was a small quake at San Bernardino at 4am this morning?</blockquote>

It was Barstow around 5am this morning...a 3.0 quake.

If your cell phone is not working, try texting.

While I can't make a phone call, text works fine.

And my landline works fine too. Glad to have one.

Everyone, stay safe.

What am I supposed to do during an earthquake?

I don't think standing in the middle of my living room crying is the proper procedure. :p

My dad, the engineering geologist, said that the Whittier fault (the one this earthquake just happened on) is connected to the Elsinore fault. He said an earthquake this big could cause changes in the whole fault system such that this becomes a foreshock.

He said to be prepared for another one in the next 36 hours.

Not saying it WILL happen, but be prepared for one to happen because it's now a distinct possibility.

[quote author="CalGal" date=1217384675]What am I supposed to do during an earthquake?

I don't think standing in the middle of my living room crying is the proper procedure. :p</blockquote>

I fixed it for you:

[quote author="CalGal" date=1217384675]What am I supposed to do during an Angel game?

I don't think standing in the middle of my living room crying is the proper procedure. :p</blockquote>

"There have been no reports of any injuries in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, or San Diego counties.

There is a report of a water main break near Cal State L.A. that has lifted the roadway. Eastern Avenue and City Terrace Drive in City Terrace have reportedly buckled. There's been reported a gap on the 241 connector to the 91 Freeway. The freeway has not been shut down.

The quake struck at 11:42 a.m. PDT. Buildings swayed in downtown Los Angeles and San Diego for several seconds. Some workers evacuated buildings.

All rides at Disneyland have been evacuated. Visitors remain in the theme park in outdoor open spaces.

All Amtrak trains have been stopped for inspections. "

<a href="http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local&id=6294060">http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local&id=6294060</a>

Back