Earthquake Insurance

USCTrojanCPA said:
annabanana said:
What do you guys think of this?  Should we get it?
Honestly, a waste of money.
Why is that actually? We are in earth quake country... and we have felt quite a few.

I guess if there is a quake huge enough to do serious damage... we'll get bailed out?

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
annabanana said:
Why is that actually? We are in earth quake country... and we have felt quite a few.

I guess if there is a quake huge enough to do serious damage... we'll get bailed out?
Well, considering that we haven't had a serious earthquake in about 20 years and even that earthquake didn't do that much damage down here in OC I think earthquake insurance is a waste of money.  If there was a huge earthquake that caused a lot of damage the federal gov't was come in offering 0% interest loans to rebuild.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
annabanana said:

Well, considering that we haven't had a serious earthquake in about 20 years and even that earthquake didn't do that much damage down here in OC I think earthquake insurance is a waste of money.  If there was a huge earthquake that caused a lot of damage the federal gov't was come in offering 0% interest loans to rebuild.

in that case which one is better a 100% loan or 85% insurance + 15% deductible(0% loan,assuming eligible for it)

Isn't the point of insurance to cover you in the event of a catastrophic, albeit unlikely scenario? Knowing that your financial condition could change, that relying on the federal government to make you whole in the event of a cataclysm is foolish, that we had three earthquakes in June (one bigger than the one that hit Haiti), it would seem to me that earthquake insurance may be a prudent purchase. 

How much more did it add per year/month?

If it's cheap... we would consider it... it's just like life insurance... I don't plan to die anytime soon but I can't guarantee that.

I believe there was a major earthquake in Northridge CA  ~ 15 years ago.  Does anyone know the effect of it on the local real estate market?   

I can have emergency fund for job loss, or insurance for the fire/earthquake, but would just like to get an idea what could happen to Irvine real estate market if a major earthquake hits.

Thanks,

The Northridge earthquake didn't do anything to the Irvine RE market... unless you think the early 90s bubble pop was because of it.

newhomebuyer said:
Sorry, I meant if Northridge earthquake had any effect on Northridge real estate.

Northridge real estate took a hit after the earthquake.
I remember many stories on TV about how the price took a dive and the bargains could be had in the Valley after the quake.

irvinehomeowner said:

We bought the California Earthquake Authority (CEA) policy through our HO Insurance company. It added about $600 to our annual premium. We felt its a relatively small price to pay for the benefit and peace of mind.

irvineresident said:
irvinehomeowner said:

We bought the California Earthquake Authority (CEA) policy through our HO Insurance company. It added about $600 to our annual premium. We felt its a relatively small price to pay for the benefit and peace of mind.

Is there a deductible?

Yes, there is a $160K deductible for us, which is based on the amount of coverage - but no out of pocket cash. More details about the insurance can be found at CEA's website.

Back