Earthquake Gas Shutoff Valve

shiog

Hi all,

Has anyone gotten one of those "Earthquake Gas Shutoff Valve" installed?  What are your experiences or thoughts with them (ex. any accidental shutoffs)?

I just bought an attached condo and the builder has an upgrade to install one on the pipe leading to my unit.  I guess if an earthquake happens, it would help prevent any fires from my unit which would protect me from liabilities.  However, let's say I don't have one installed and a fire starts due to a leak from my gas pipes. I assume all damages to the condo (including other units) would become my liability?  If I had earthquake insurance, would it help cover those damages?

Thanks in advance.

It costs $300-$350 to have it installed but since your unit is attached I doubt you can add this feature after you close. 

Honestly I don't see much value to add them for an attached condo.  If the gas pipe break the whole building is probably not going to survive.  The builder should put it in their main line as a standard feature. 

The fire insurance does not cover earthquake and I've never seen earthquake insurance covered by the HOA.  Unfortunately you can not purchase individual earthquake insurance for attached unit. 

Back