EarthQuake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

3.9 out of San Juan Capistrano.

I'm still trembling. Lived all my life here and never got used to these.

True story:

I received a text this morning from a client asking for assistance (in her new rental), stating that the washing machine and garage door are not functioning.

I show up, and for the former issue it's an easy fix: just a different operating mechanism than she'd been used to.

For the latter problem, it initially appears like it will also be an easy solution as I notice right away that the traveller has been pulled so that the door is disengaged from the motor. I pop the pin and proceed to press the garage door opener AT THE EXACT MOMENT that the 3.9 earthquake hits.
"Yes, something's definitely wrong with this door."

I didn't realize it was really an earthquake until the contractor at my next appointment asked about it.

Sorry, everyone. My bad.

-IR2

Hmm... didn't even feel that one... so it must have been someone else falling out of their chair.

We should ask zovall to make sure the TI server is out of state so that we can continue posting during the quake-ocalypse.

4.5 2012/08/08 09:33:22 33.908N 117.778W 9.0 3 km ( 2 mi) NNE of Yorba Linda, CA
Yes! IHO, you got to stop falling off your chair!

Does this increasing frequency of "IHO chair falls" have anyone concerned? I don't recall falling out of my chair this many times before.

I think I need to buy more water on my next Ralph's run.

Yes. I am. IHO, keep it to small falls- don't go for a big one!
But I have a feeling, we will have a big one very soon. Within next 48 hours.

Since yesterday, I've put all my important things like wallet, car keys, etc. together in one place so I can grab it and go.  Won't get too far without money.  If it was like last night, right after I grab the small important things (assuming I have time; I'm usually in my home office at night), I'm going to get my two daughters; my wife is going to get my son and go outside as fast as possible.

My wife was in Japan earlier this summer and they were showing a documentary about how to survive a big earthquake (They should be experts on that).  And one of the things they mentioned was not to wait until you realize it's a big one to start moving.  Then, it's too late. 

Hope this isn't the start of something big.  ???

Whew, this is one of the few times I'm glad I have earthquake insurance...just for peace of mind.  :)  I know, I'm the only idiot on TI that has earthquake insurance.

irvinehomeowner said:
Does this increasing frequency of "IHO chair falls" have anyone concerned? I don't recall falling out of my chair this many times before.

I think I need to buy more water on my next Ralph's run.

I always had this notion that you shouldn't go outside because the ground might split open and swallow you.  :p  But, this documentary was mentioning the safest place is still outside, if you can make it out safely.  This applies in Japan so things might need to be modified for here in Irvine with all these expensive chandeliers and hanging lamps everywhere.  I have one right near the front door so I would hesitate to go out that way.  With my luck, it's going to fall on me and electrocute me. There's a covered patio in back so that makes me hesitate too...can't win.  This probably is true for houses, etc. but around a tall office bldg. falling glass, etc. would be very dangerous.  They mentioned that if you can't get out safely to try to get a smaller room like a bathroom, under the door.  They said not to close the door since the door may not open after the big earthquake and you may be trapped in there.

All obvious stuff but it's good to think about the escape plan ahead of time and rehearse it, at least in your mind and with your spouse and kids.

Good luck to you all.

Cubic Zirconia said:
Go- where?
I thought we were to be at home, away from flying glasses, and falling debris?

Back