Drought Rebate Program

Maserson

Anybody considering ripping out their lawns because of the drought and pending increase in water bills?

Anybody used one of those landscaping companies that provide the material/labor for free but collect the $6000 rebate check for themselves (but they do the paperwork for you)?

Any issues with HOA approval for the above?

I'm also looking to do this. Any recommendations for landscapers?

The IRWD FAQs say: AB 2100 prohibits HOAs from imposing fines against homeowners for reducing or eliminating irrigation during drought, while AB 2104 states that any provision of an HOA's governing documents (CC&Rs, etc) is void and unenforceable if it prohibits the use of low water-using plants or replacement of turf.

Maserson said:
Anybody used one of those landscaping companies that provide the material/labor for free but collect the $6000 rebate check for themselves (but they do the paperwork for you)?

Do your research before using any such company and make sure you have a water tight (no pun intended) contract and design before you allow any company to remove turf and replace with any drought friendly plants. There is a huge discrepancy in price and look of drought tolerant plants and most companies that do such work will likely replace with the cheapest variety possible.

I'd rather pocket the rebate and work with a reputed landscaper and ensure quality work. Landscaping is something you don't change frequently but a nicely (or not so nicely) landscaped yard has an impact on your property value.

Keystone told my hubby yesterday we have to submit an architectural review plan (and pay the fee) to change grass to something else.

The Metropolitan Water District just suspended the turf incentive without warning, due to overwhelming demand.  I would not be surprised to see other municipalities do the same.  Folks in Irvine should get their applications in ASAP if it's something you want to do.

I put artificial turf in a few months back and absolutely love it. Very nice every time I wander out to the back yard and look over and see perfect grass in which I don't have to water or hire a gardener to maintain. 

Bullsback said:
I put artificial turf in a few months back and absolutely love it. Very nice every time I wander out to the back yard and look over and see perfect grass in which I don't have to water or hire a gardener to maintain.
How much does artificial turf cost for a small yard?

Irvine Dream said:
Bullsback said:
How much does artificial turf cost for a small yard?
I spent ~7.50 sq/ft installed (roughly).  That was pre-rebate and was for the high-end Tiger Turf. Obviously its only been a few months, but absolutely love it.  Project was done in a day. Took a crew of 6 people working from 8 till about 6.  Total grass area was ~300 square feet. 
http://www.yelp.com/biz/oc-turf-and-putting-greens-laguna-niguel

Forget saving, if residential communities/hoa can have man made lakes, and fill it with drinking water. The state doesn't say anything about that.

Isn't it ironic that we're all trying to save water, so much so that since the volume went down, the water company will charge a higher per rate due to lower volume. Wtf...  Don't make me go Tom selleck on my water needs. 

Ready2Downsize said:
Did that include removing the grass, labor and supplies?
Yep. That included ripping out the grass, capping existing sprinkler system, ensuring proper drainage and then installing the turf (and any supplies related to installing the turf). 

Ready2Downsize said:
Did you get turf that is animal friendly?

Btw.... Irvine Ranch Water District has no more rebate. They ran out of funds.
Yeah, we have the animal friendly stuff.  I wondered when they ran out (must be extremely recent). I hope that doesn't impact my actual payment cause I had mine all approved and they inspected prior to install (to confirm eligibility, etc) and then came out subsequent (took them forever to come out subsequent...maybe because everyone and their brother was doing it). That or they read the study that basically said the artificial turf rebate was a horrific use of funds for actual water savings. 

I had them come out for initial approval sometime in Jan / Feb (don't remember exactly when but was in the winter, but didn't have installed until March or so).  I probably would have done either way to be frank (cause my grass was a mess and I hated maintaining it) but it was a nice perk to get that discount. The  people that did our job were burried (business was extremely good for them) and part of what helped us get the pricing we did was we were flexible for him to basically have us on stand by and when he had a window between other jobs, he would get his crew out. He'd call every week with an update and then called me the day before and said he'd be out tomorrow if it worked.

Back