Dreaming...

Arman

Exploring the Toll Brothers website, I came across this community in Virginia. 5000 square foot homes, from $860,000 or so. What struck me, however, was the site plan below. Look at those lots! Just dreaming of having such a development in OC...

topomap1_zpsa36f23b2.jpg

No problem.  You just have to dream bigger and think you're Kobe and that would just be a doghouse.  :p

You can definitely get houses like that but not in Irvine.  At least not for most(?), some(?) of us.  :p

Tyler Durden said:
paperboyNC said:
I lived most of my life on 4.6 acres. It's a bit overrated and there is a reason why most people in the world live in the cities.

No one on here would probably understand what you're getting at - since they haven't thought about when you live in such places, you are a 30 min drive from anything to eat/shop/socialize/play at.  A good comparison would be buying property in temecula, big bear, lake arrowhead or palm desert.  You'll have a ton of space and a super inexpensive home... but you'll be up there by yourself.

You also have volunteer fire and typically county sheriffs providing coverage - resulting in higher homeowners' insurance due to slower response times.

Where I lived wasn't that bad:
- 5min to Wal-mart / grocery stores
- 20min to movie theater
- 2min to the highway

I think it's more that you tend not to do a whole lot with the land. At different times we did set up volleyball / basketball courts and soccer fields and we could get wood for the wood stove from our own woods and as kids play in the woods/creek but mostly it's just wasted land (and a lot of work to mow the part that was lawn).

The main advantage was being able to add on to the house and putting a second small home on the land at one point.

Drive around the rural areas around Temecula that are not HOAs and look at how almost everyone with a lot of land just uses it to store vehicle that are no longer operational and for a dust bowl.

Living close to a Walmart is a step above a 99 cents store or a Big Lot. Technically I do live 10 minutes from a Walmart too. I am now doomed. My reputation is ruined. But if I need to drive through the District parking lot from Costco to Walmart I am technically an hour away from Walmart. I feel much better now. This is Irvinites positive thinking.

paperboyNC said:
Tyler Durden said:
paperboyNC said:
I lived most of my life on 4.6 acres. It's a bit overrated and there is a reason why most people in the world live in the cities.

No one on here would probably understand what you're getting at - since they haven't thought about when you live in such places, you are a 30 min drive from anything to eat/shop/socialize/play at.  A good comparison would be buying property in temecula, big bear, lake arrowhead or palm desert.  You'll have a ton of space and a super inexpensive home... but you'll be up there by yourself.

You also have volunteer fire and typically county sheriffs providing coverage - resulting in higher homeowners' insurance due to slower response times.

Where I lived wasn't that bad:
- 5min to Wal-mart / grocery stores
- 20min to movie theater
- 2min to the highway

I think it's more that you tend not to do a whole lot with the land. At different times we did set up volleyball / basketball courts and soccer fields and we could get wood for the wood stove from our own woods and as kids play in the woods/creek but mostly it's just wasted land (and a lot of work to mow the part that was lawn).

The main advantage was being able to add on to the house and putting a second small home on the land at one point.

Drive around the rural areas around Temecula that are not HOAs and look at how almost everyone with a lot of land just uses it to store vehicle that are no longer operational and for a dust bowl.

Back