Drapes

lucky760

We have been desperately searching for drapery over the past several days to cover our large windows that leave us completely exposed because the neighboring homes over our back wall look like they'll beer closing escrow soon.

We're having a heck of a time finding drapes we like. We are trying to get something similar To what's downstairs in the Saratoga model 2X.

We've checked Kohls, Bed Bath Beyond, Macy's, Sears, Drape Style, Pottery Barn, Pier 1, Cost Plus, and more but they just don't have good options (that fit).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Where did you get yours?

By fit do you mean length or width?

Like IR2, I recommend Ikea because they have drapes where you can vary the length.

Did PS9 ever find his 132" long curtains?

irvinehomeowner said:
By fit do you mean length or width?

Like IR2, I recommend Ikea because they have drapes where you can vary the length.

Did PS9 ever find his 132" long curtains?

Either one or both. Any drapes we actually like always end up only 50" or 52" wide or shorter than 90" tall, but we need 54"x96".

lucky said:
Either one or both. Any drapes we actually like always end up only 50" or 52" wide or shorter than 90" tall, but we need 54"x96".

It should be fine to retrace your steps and buy what you like. Add extra, fuller panel/s. Extend the measurement. Here is one link that explains.

If you're considering the Ikea suggestions, do a lined drape. Most of those are polyester, thin, and light-colored. Particularly with light colored or sheer drapes, you need a liner not only for privacy but to retain the look of the drapes. It's hard to see colors and patterns on sun-drenched drapes.

can you just go to joann's fabric, pick out some fabric you like, and have one of the drapery companies make the drapes from that?

When I watch HGTV, they seem to all have custom drapes put in with fabric they pick out themselves from fabric stores.

lucky said:
We have been desperately searching for drapery over the past several days to cover our large windows that leave us completely exposed because the neighboring homes over our back wall look like they'll beer closing escrow soon.

We're having a heck of a time finding drapes we like. We are trying to get something similar To what's downstairs in the Saratoga model 2X.

We've checked Kohls, Bed Bath Beyond, Macy's, Sears, Drape Style, Pottery Barn, Pier 1, Cost Plus, and more but they just don't have good options (that fit).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Where did you get yours?

found a few at overstock
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Curtains/96-Inches,/length,/6420/subcat.html?sort=Top+Sellers

Show us a pic of the curtains you like.. don't remember what Saratoga plan 2 looks like....

Picked up a few pointers from the guy at Ethan Allen...

1)  consider a sheer set for big windows... solids can make the room smaller as the eye will gravitate towards big solid colors when you first enter..

2)  hang the rod halfway between the ceiling and window.. if it's too flush against the ceiling.. looks funny, so if you have 8 foot ceilings and use a 96 inch curtain, make sure the gap between the top of the window and ceiling is no more than a foot.. that way the rod is hanging at 90 inches above ground, you'll lose 3 inches from the bunching at the top and leave 3 inches to puddle.

3) keep the finials simple.. you can even leave it out and just extend the rod to the opposing wall if there is one for a cleaner look..

I should start a drapery business myself :).. just drive around new developments and hit up new homeowners.. especially those with the ghetto fab paper accordion window covers from home depot

Great tips, ps9. Thanks!

Here's the best photo I have from the model:
kQsyTCu.jpg

We actually just ended up buying from Overstock earlier. It's not exactly what we wanted, but we've been struggling across so many websites and brick-and-mortar stores for so many days, we just had to bite the bullet and purchase. Plus, our $500 price tag (for six 54"x96" panels and three 122" rods) is much better than the $2400 we were quoted for a custom job from Drape Style.

I'm hoping they work out okay. I never imagined shopping for curtains would be such a chore, and I'm not looking forward to ever doing again any time soon!

For anyone else as particular about their drapery as we, the only other decent website with an enormous selection and really good variety was Linens n Things.

Wait, your place is a new dev no?  So 9 foot ceilings?  If so and assuming the top of the window is a foot from the ceiling, you would need 108" drapes or else it would look like highwaters. 

Yes, new development with 9 foot ceilings, however there are several inches of crown moulding at the top. By my measurement, 96" will take the panel from the floor (w/o puddle) to 3" above the window edge and 3" from the crown moulding.

Anyone recommend a good ladder for hanging 120" and beyond drapes?  Costco sells the little giant system...maybe not worth the risk

ps9 said:
Anyone recommend a good ladder for hanging 120" and beyond drapes?  Costco sells the little giant system...maybe not worth the risk

We have a ladder system similar to the little giant. It's very useful and can expand to go real high (AKA if you need to get to the roof). We used it to hang our curtains and worked well and plus used it to access our attic. It's a good heavy duty ladder that is versatile of many different applications.

Definitely worth trying out, plus Costco has a generous return policy if you decide it's doesn't work out. 

Back to drapes:

Was just at Ikea and picked up some 98" and 118" drapes that we're going to try out. Most places only have 84".

What was a really great find though is they actually have pretty long curtain rods up to 152" which are perfect for the big wide windows.  These have been pretty hard to find unless you go custom. Before we would buy 3 rods and piece them together and run a still rod in the middle we got from Home Depot to construct a curtain rod that was long enough. This is much easier :).

Only issue is the wife doesn't really like the rod ends, but those are just screw on so easily replaced.

Enjoy!

As ps9 guessed, our 96" curtains were too short. In addition, the quality was far below what my wife was hoping for. We've returned those to Overstock and ordered some new ones at 54"x108" from Kohl's. They seem to be better quality, so we're keeping our fingers crossed!

We did keep the rods we got from Overstock which look great.

able to check out West Elm at Crystal Court today.. they have 124" drapes.. an in-between size.. but could work for me.. if only the sheer fabric is softer..

http://www.westelm.com/shop/rugs-windows/window-panels-curtains-shades/?cm_type=gnav&N=4294962459

ps9 said:
I think I found our drapes...

132" Curtainworks... sheer grommet...$70 for two panels 59" wide

That's great. I hope it works out for you.

After weeks of frustration and 2 returned purchases, we've finally come to an understanding with the universe that we have no choice but to pay through the nose for custom drapes. We'll be spending about $1300. : ((

Side note: I did find the fabric from the model home, but they no longer produce it. Of course.

No Quarter said:
One thing to keep in mind about the grommet style:

If your curtain hardware is a darker color (e.g. oil rubbed bronze), the action of drawing your curtains will scuff the curtain rod and over time, the underlying finish will be exposed.  Perhaps this is not an issue if the curtain rod is brushed nickel (e.g. you won't see the scratch).

The point of friction would be at the top no?  So if it's fairly high (11&1/4 ft ceilings).. then it wouldn't be visible?  I plan on using our bronze rods left over from our old place.. it kinda looks like the pic..

No Quarter said:
ps9 said:
No Quarter said:
One thing to keep in mind about the grommet style:

If your curtain hardware is a darker color (e.g. oil rubbed bronze), the action of drawing your curtains will scuff the curtain rod and over time, the underlying finish will be exposed.  Perhaps this is not an issue if the curtain rod is brushed nickel (e.g. you won't see the scratch).

The point of friction would be at the top no?  So if it's fairly high (11&1/4 ft ceilings).. then it wouldn't be visible?  I plan on using our bronze rods left over from our old place.. it kinda looks like the pic..

I wasn't sure how many points of contact the grommet would have, but from my experience with shower curtain rods... i know it would be a pain in the @$$ to have to replace the rod or refinish it later when you wanted to sell the place.

So i stuck with the curtains that had pockets that slid over the rod instead of the grommets.
Restoration Hardware sells rings with a smooth silconized coating inside.  I have them on a bronze rod and there hasn't been any scuff marks so far (3+ years).

Back