Down to Earth Neighborhoods

Which neighborhoods do you see as more ?down to Earth??

• The newer neighborhoods, because mostly everyone there are so house poor that they don?t have much m

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • An older neighborhood because relationships seem to be more established and grounded in trust and hi

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Any neighborhood where there is a culture to cultivate relationships with your immediate neighbors

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Any neighborhood where there is a common respect for privacy, personal space and not asking too many

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Any neighborhood where it is virtually impossible to accidentally bump into or see your neighbors

• Any like minded neighborhood that communicates well, shares needs and gives to each other

• Any neighborhood that is NOT predominately Asian

• Any neighborhood that has similar demographics, such as age, life-stage and social-economical status

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Any neighborhood where there are a lot of young families and children

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Any neighborhood where there are common, shared activities

• Total voters

roundcorners

We have been visiting a few families from church around town every week for the past few months.  We usually stop by in the afternoons usually on Sundays after 3 when the kid gets up from his nap.  If there is ever a day and time to see neighborly interaction this time would be it!  We wanted to get a good feel of each neighborhood, I was able to categorize the neighborhoods in these different generalizations...

The list of neighborhoods we visited include Newport Coast, VOC, Tustin Ranch, El Camino, Woodbury, Quail Hill, West Park and Woodbridge...

I can actually make a case of down to Earth attributes I saw in each of the options above, but I want to see what you guys think!  Oh, BTW, the poll is not limited to Irvine...

In 2000 when the Soylent family was transitioning from Condo to House ownership, our search included several "must haves":

1) If there was extensive chalk drawing in the street - a sign of a kid friendly neighborhood.
2) If there were any street events going on, or people sitting outside.
3) If anyone was willing to answer questions as we drove through the cul-de-sac's looking at houses.

Those three, focusing on exterior community interaction, not whooshing into the homeowners "bat-cave" garage with extra fast door closing action, helped us settle into a very D2E area in RSM.

sgip said:
In 2000 when the Soylent family was transitioning from Condo to House ownership, our search included several "must haves":

1) If there was extensive chalk drawing in the street - a sign of a kid friendly neighborhood.
2) If there were any street events going on, or people sitting outside.
3) If anyone was willing to answer questions as we drove through the cul-de-sac's looking at houses.

Those three, focusing on exterior community interaction, not whooshing into the homeowners "bat-cave" garage with extra fast door closing action, helped us settle into a very D2E area in RSM.

Not to get off target, but what's the "etiquette" for chalk drawing on the street?  Should I let my kids go nuts with it?

When you're only a kid once, there is no such thing as too much chalk scribbling.

I'd say there's a 3 day rule before hosing it down.

Any neighborhood that has dissimilar demographics, such as age, life-stage and social-economical status but more diversity

Back