Doggy Door

golfpapi

Not sure if this topic has been discussed before, but what type of doggy doors do owners have for their pet(s) to go in and out during the day? The most common ones I see are the adjustable height patio doggy doors, but those look kinda cheap (in terms of aesthetics/decor). Any suggestions on what people have or currently using that seems to work for them? (I have a 27 lb. frenchie.) Something that's safe and secure, provides good insulation, and somewhat pleasant to the eye?

Would it be weird to put a doggy door (one way) for the new wok kitchens?  Sorry couldn't resist.

ive never had a doggy door, scared that something will happen to my pups. so we have a dogwalker.

We had a company come out and install a doggie door. Very happy with it. It's got to be in an area that you don't mind seeing the pooch go in and out and in and out. They also may track something they've stepped in so be aware that a DD near carpeting is asking for trouble.

Don't have a contractor referral as this was five plus years ago when it went in.

New Name said:
Actually was looking into this on cyber Monday went with the less permament option:
http://www.petco.com/product/109078/Perfect-Pet-VIP-Vinyl-Patio-Doors.aspx?CoreCat=FamilyCrossSell

Went to the store and they matched the 30% off discount as well as giving us the Pals 5% discount off MSRP which was really nice.

Will install it this weekend.  Our dog is puppy now but is growing fast and should be close to 100 lbs so we got the XL

100 pounds? what kind of dog did you get? an irvine wolf?

It's a male black lab.  I used 100 lbs, cause thats what my sisters black lab is. I won't be surprised if he ends up closer to 75-80 pounds.

Either way, he is much smaller than my wife's previous 170 pound Bull Mastiff.  Would be hard to get a dog that size again.  Too short of a lifespan!

New Name said:
It's a male black lab.  I used 100 lbs, cause thats what my sisters black lab is. I won't be surprised if he ends up closer to 75-80 pounds.

Either way, he is much smaller than my wife's previous 170 pound Bull Mastiff.  Would be hard to get a dog that size again.  Too short of a lifespan!

yeah those big/huge dogs live like 7-8 i think.

"new home" - if you don't mind, please let me know how the doggy door works out when you install it this weekend. it actually looks like it's sturdy and well made.

Door is installed and we are very happy it. 

Installation is simple, just put it in the door frame (top area is spring loaded to fit a certain range) then drill it into the frame.  Comes with a new lock since you can no longer use the old one.

The dog is definitely enjoying his new freedom to be able to go outside and explore as he pleases.  The dirt tracks all over is proof of that.  We are happy to not have to go in and out with him all day.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 123
I like the idea of the kind with the electronic or magnetic lock / dog collar. The collar unlocks the door as the dog approaches like a garage door opener. This way only your pet can gain access. No other animals, rodents, squirrels, aggressive neighborhood cats, etc.

"new name" - thx for posting the pix. does the door appear sturdy and insulated (when you turn on the heater at night)?

If the flap isn't right in the middle then you can definitely feel a some cool air sneaking in

It is magnetic at the bottom, so it usually ends up back in the middle but I did once feel cool air coming in and had to manually move it in the middle. Other than that, everything seems fine and sturdy.  I have actually put the door blocker up a few times because I have gotten tired of the puppy going in and out repeatedly with a new rock to chew on everytime.

As for the heater, its hard to say because last week was really the first time we have used the heater for an extended period since moving.  But once I get the heater going, everything seems to be okay and the place warms up effectively even with the door installed.

Back