Do your computer a favor

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1257511334]I think my problem is a tad more serious. My screen will just go black. You can see a slight back light on, so you know the computer is still on. Or other times it will just freeze. I cannot even shut it down and have to use the off switch. All these things happen after it has been on 5 - 10 minutes.

I am waiting for my software engineer husband to actually FIX the darn thing. For some reason, despite who I am married to, I seem to have the WORST computer set-up around. Why is that?</blockquote>

That sounds like a hardware issue, possibly graphics card/chip overheating. As my software engineer wife says, "I don't do hardware, I just make stuff that uses it". If it's still under warranty, I'd call the manufacturer and file a repair claim.

The anti-spyware apps I like are <a href="http://www.malwarebytes.org/">MalwareBytes Anti-Malware</a> and <a href="http://www.superantispyware.com/">SuperAntiSpyware</a>. The free version of both work well. The free versions are on-demand scanners so that nothing sits in memory until launched. Some infections, like a lot of fake AV malware (newest variations of Vundo), can burrow deep into your system so that the only way to remove them is to wipe your system clean and reinstall. I've seen this myself.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1257397380]I'm no MS fan, I use their products because they are ubiquitous. Their newly released FREE antivirus program, however, is downright excellent.

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/">Microsoft Security Essentials</a>

I cannot stand the big 3 antivirus programs because they slow down everything you do and take up lots of ram and CPU time. And they cost $ for anything active. (there are great free passive scanners out there). Many people use them because they come pre-installed or they think they HAVE TO because of the big boogie man internet.

I highly recommend this program, though. Its system resource cost is almost nil for the additional peace of mind. Its an easy install. Just uninstall Norton, AVG, (or whatever) before you install this bad boy. (be sure uninstall each aspect of Norton. It leaves like 5 sub-progs in your program list.) Then restart your computer. Install this. Set it and forget it.

As a tech junkie, I usually fly with my router firewall, careful browsing (and downloading/executing) habits, and a passive scan once a week. Active virus protection is simply almost never worth the hassle and can cause crashes and incompatibilities. This program has changed my opinion of active protection. Kudos to MS for the small size/footprint on my machine and for me really not noticing it working.

***works with XP, Vista, and Windows 7</blockquote>

I just DL'd this last night since my virus and spyware had expired a while ago. Normally I wouldn't take advice from some yahoo on the intarwebs who knows way more tech shite than me and claims to be a JD, who also rides his bike in the dirt as if he is going to die the next day. But... from what I have read this yahoo knows what he is talking about, at least for tech. :p

That being said, totally happy without the bog down in the system. Everything is moving at the same speed as before, and maybe faster since I don't get the pop up warnings to renew my virus/spyware software. Luckily, it did a full scan and didn't find anything... so either is sucks or I am just lucky and didn't catch any intarweb STDs from the pr0n or the fact that I know Nude.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1257527318]... didn't catch any intarweb STDs from the pr0n or the fact that I know Nude.</blockquote>

I am free of STDs, I just destroy moral character and good judgment ;)

[quote author="graphrix" date=1257527318]

I just DL'd this last night since my virus and spyware had expired a while ago. Normally I wouldn't take advice from some yahoo on the intarwebs who knows way more tech shite than me and claims to be a JD, <strong>who also rides his bike in the dirt as if he is going to die the next day</strong>. But... from what I have read this yahoo knows what he is talking about, at least for tech. :p

That being said, totally happy without the bog down in the system. Everything is moving at the same speed as before, and maybe faster since I don't get the pop up warnings to renew my virus/spyware software. Luckily, it did a full scan and didn't find anything... so either is sucks or I am just lucky and didn't catch any intarweb STDs from the pr0n or the fact that I know Nude.</blockquote>

You must have witnessed one of my spectacular crashes!

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1257511334]I think my problem is a tad more serious. My screen will just go black. You can see a slight back light on, so you know the computer is still on. Or other times it will just freeze. I cannot even shut it down and have to use the off switch. All these things happen after it has been on 5 - 10 minutes.

I am waiting for my software engineer husband to actually FIX the darn thing. For some reason, despite who I am married to, I seem to have the WORST computer set-up around. Why is that?</blockquote>

I agree with Nude. If you have an antivirus, or were running one at the time, its not that likely that you were hit with one. The problems you describe may come from bad hardware. It sounds like it could be a bad stick of RAM, too. (very inexpensive, easily accessible, and cheap to replace yourself)

Back