Did any of you kids go to Beckman after IUSD middle and elementary schools?

pricedoutJay

Can anyone share their experience on this?  My kid may have to go to Beckman High in a year after spending 8 years in IUSD school because we may move within a few months.  He is not shy or introverted but sill won't have any of his friends in Beckman.  I am not 100% sure of this but also we found a home that's in a good location and affordable so we don't want to miss that opportunity either.

Just like any other school, Beckman's not perfect and I heard some good or bad stuff.  Any first hand experiences would help a lot.  Thanks.

Also does anyone know who's doing interdistrict transfer to Irvine school?  If I rent a room from someone and pay utility, can I claim residency in Irvine?  I don't want to break any rules but I can use any loop holes as long as it's legal...

pricedoutJay said:
Can anyone share their experience on this?  My kid may have to go to Beckman High in a year after spending 8 years in IUSD school because we may move within a few months.  He is not shy or introverted but sill won't have any of his friends in Beckman.  I am not 100% sure of this but also we found a home that's in a good location and affordable so we don't want to miss that opportunity either.

Just like any other school, Beckman's not perfect and I heard some good or bad stuff.  Any first hand experiences would help a lot.  Thanks.

Also does anyone know who's doing interdistrict transfer to Irvine school?  If I rent a room from someone and pay utility, can I claim residency in Irvine?  I don't want to break any rules but I can use any loop holes as long as it's legal...

Academics wise Beckman is as good as Northwood,  Beckman's average test scores are however lower due to the mix of students.  At Beckman the AP History teachers work students to death for no reason.  If your child is Asian or play sports shouldn't have problem fitting in Beckman.  If your child is Indian then probably Northwood is a better place.

I have heard that people rent the apt/condos next to Northwood High in Summer to just show residency.  I also know of students who live in Foothill Ranch (SoCals stomping grounds) but attend Northwood, my guess is that they own property in Northwood. 

When Beckman opened they were fierce in protecting their territory.  Now that they are overcrowded they probably wouldn't prevent inter district transfer plus with the new IUSD high school opening in 2016, Northwood High might even welcome transfer to keep up their enrollment.

Irvine Dream said:
If your child is Asian or play sports shouldn't have problem fitting in Beckman.  If your child is Indian then probably Northwood is a better place.

Isn't Indian Asian too?

yaliu07 said:
Irvine Dream said:
If your child is Asian or play sports shouldn't have problem fitting in Beckman.  If your child is Indian then probably Northwood is a better place.

Isn't Indian Asian too?
Technically "Yes", but for all practical purpose in US "No"

Wow!

So......... in your case, you can't just rent a room from someone for a few months..... you'd have to figure out something for future years.

yep this is annoying. at least for refi once you get a good rate, you just need to do it once.

irvinehomeowner said:
Ready2Downsize said:
Do you need to show proof of Irvine residency again if you move from 8th grade to high school in Irvine?
You have to show proof every year as far as I know.

I don't want to do anything that's questionable or "bending it too much".  My main purpose was to hear from folks who went through both Irvine schools to Beckman.

For proof of residency, yes you have to do that every year with 2 utility bills, ID, and form.  This also, however, is sort of silly too.  They ask for the forms in March for the coming year. 

What if you move after March?  Do you have to transfer out of school or you get to stay there since on the paper, you are covered for that coming year?

Another question.  Did you have to transfer your kids out of any high schools in Irvine because you moved out of the city or do you know anyone who had to do that?

pricedoutJay said:

I've known some staff & teachers who have their kids attend the school they work at in order to make coordinating transportation easier. Apparently, this is A-OK with the district. Is getting a job at the desired high school in the next 7 months an option for you or your wife?

sucks.. i transferred around a lot when I was a kid.  Kind of throws the kid off a little but hopefully yours can adjust well.  Luckily I got to stay at the same 8th/grade to HS area.

I don't have first hand experience but I think if you want to keep your kid in IUSD, then you will need to rent a room/apt to show proof of residency.  In order to get an interdistrict transfer, TUSD has to be ok with releasing you and IUSD has to accept you. The tougher part will be to get tusd to release you since that's tied to enrollment money. I can maybe see them doing that if your kid was a junior or senior and it would make more sense to finish out HS in the same place for colleges, sports, activities, etc.  I get the whole friends thing but I'm sure your kid will make new friends quickly especially with all the new homes being built. People come and go all the time.  Plus, even if you can stay freshmen year because of the whole March loophole, you'll probably have to leave for sophomore year. In which case, it's prob better to just have your kid start at Beckman from the start.

bones said:
I don't have first hand experience but I think if you want to keep your kid in IUSD, then you will need to rent a room/apt to show proof of residency.  In order to get an interdistrict transfer, TUSD has to be ok with releasing you and IUSD has to accept you. The tougher part will be to get tusd to release you since that's tied to enrollment money. I can maybe see them doing that if your kid was a junior or senior and it would make more sense to finish out HS in the same place for colleges, sports, activities, etc.  I get the whole friends thing but I'm sure your kid will make new friends quickly especially with all the new homes being built. People come and go all the time.  Plus, even if you can stay freshmen year because of the whole March loophole, you'll probably have to leave for sophomore year. In which case, it's prob better to just have your kid start at Beckman from the start.

Great Post.  Is "Bones" now sounding more like "Irvinehomeowner" now that they are neighbors?

I thought Beckman is a good high school.  using high school ranking system, it is worse than university/northwood, but it is better than irvine/woodbridge.

yaliu07 said:
I thought Beckman is a good high school.  using high school ranking system, it is worse than university/northwood, but it is better than irvine/woodbridge.

In the end.. not going to make a difference for your kid.  Not like comparing a school here to a school in the inner city.  This is more about your kid adjusting to a new school with new friends.

yaliu07 said:

I thought University and Northwood are good High Schools. using high school ranking system, it is worse than Oxford/Whitney...

Sucks to live in Irvine and potentially living near a cemetary.  ::)

FARMMMMMIE said:
yaliu07 said:

I thought University and Northwood are good High Schools. using high school ranking system, it is worse than Oxford/Whitney...

Sucks to live in Irvine and potentially living near a cemetary.  ::)

Both Oxford/Whitney are charter schools. It is unfair to compare un-charter schools to charter schools.

yaliu07 said:
Sorry.  I meant to say that beckman is good school.  why wouldn't you want your kids to go beckman?

Gotta rub elbows with people from Tustin.. GROSS!!!

Back