Definition of Middle Class?

When the KMT Nationalists retreated to Taiwan, it was said that the local Taiwanese were poorer and their kids wore slippers or went barefoot to school.  However by the 1970s-1980s, the situation changed where land-owning Taiwanese who were previously farmers were able to become asset rich through their land.  The KMT government also imposed strict rules on eminent domain to diffuse conflict with the Taiwanese, specifying that land taken under eminent domain must be paid three times of market value.  That is, if your farmland is worth $100,000, the government must pay you $300,000 to take it by force.  So even if there were protests against the seizure, it was difficult to argue against the large sums being paid in those days.  Keep in mind that this was possible in those days partly because the land was cheaper.  Moving forward to present day, you'd find eminent domain in TW to be far less generous, and in some cases, abusive against the land owner for sake of economic/business development.

For land-owning Taiwanese families with children in the US, it's a common theme for the parents or grandparents to sell off a piece of land and gift the money to their children/grandchildren in the US, for purpose of buying a house.  I've personally observed 7-figure dowries.  If the kids live in TW, upon marriage the parents might transfer title of some land to them, though younger generation tend to live and work in urban cities, leaving rural homes behind.

Unfortunately, many young Taiwanese today do not appreciate how hard their parents or grandparents worked for their family assets, and some would blow through the money like they say "wealth doesn't last 3 generations".  For the parents, putting the money in a house seems like a safer bet, assuming the kids won't use their home equity as an ATM for playing money later.

------------------

Here's an interesting note about TW:  in some older neighborhoods in TW, your property line extends to the middle of the street.  While the local government has right to "use" the land that the street is on for public use (road), the government must pay the land owner an use-fee every year.  The amount is not large, but it's interesting that the government pays rent for having a road on your land.

In Taipei, most of the residential homes are condo buildings, and newer condo communities have HOA's that pay for common areas and lobby staff.  When the building is "new" the management is under the construction company, and you'd see nicely decorated, brightly lit lobby areas with pretty receptionist and security guard.  Need to call a taxi?  Ring the receptionist.  However, once the builder management period is over, the home owners are expected to manage the HOA and suddenly everyone is stingy with their money and demand the HOA dues to be lowered as much as possible.  The brightly lit lobby is now dark for "saving electricity" and the handsome lobby staff is replaced by some old dude who doubles as security guard.  Even if the standards were maintained, the home owners will still complain to their friends and relatives about paying the high HOA dues and "feeding a bunch of lobby staff that just sits there".

USCTrojanCPA said:
Who else feels really poor when you see those FCBs dropping $1m+ on Irvine homes?  :'(

we have seen this bubble activity before and what happens when the bubble pops. its one thing for FCBs dropping 1M to lose a couple hundred thousand when the bubble pops. but lets hope the regular income earners buying now can withstand the potential losses when the prices stop going up.  as a regular wage earner myself, i would not buy in irvine right now.

im actually kind of happy... cause my property values probably up since i closed earlier this year because of them hahaha...

USCTrojanCPA said:
Who else feels really poor when you see those FCBs dropping $1m+ on Irvine homes?  :'(

qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

we have seen this bubble activity before and what happens when the bubble pops. its one thing for FCBs dropping 1M to lose a couple hundred thousand when the bubble pops. but lets hope the regular income earners buying now can withstand the potential losses when the prices stop going up.  as a regular wage earner myself, i would not buy in irvine right now.

Totally agree with you that I also would't buy in Irvine right now.  Thank god I bought before this bubble started and sold when it started to inflate..

As for the regular income earners buying now and withstanding the potential losses... I hope think most of them wouldbe ok.. To be competitive in this market, most buyers are going in with more than 30% down...

USCTrojanCPA said:

I got an offer for my home by a neighbor FCB 4 days ago  :p.

My neighbor came over with his brother in-law and knocked on my door.  His brother in-law told me he would love to purchase a home in Irvine and loved my floor plan and upgrades and how it's next door to his in-laws.  Made me an offer (200k more than what I paid with upgrades) for my place.. Told him to get on the waiting list  :p 

homer_simpson said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

My neighbor came over with his brother in-law and knocked on my door.  His brother in-law told me he would love to purchase a home in Irvine and loved my floor plan and upgrades and how it's next door to his in-laws.  Made me an offer (200k more than what I paid with upgrades) for my place.. Told him to get on the waiting list  :p

To me, that's one sign the market is bubble-licious.  I remember an agent knocked on my door back in 2006/2007 and asked if I wanted to sell my house.  The only problem - I was renting the house at the time.  Come to think of it, she was pretty cute too.  :-*

Homer, you should have a "make me move"/WTF price in mind next time someone comes a knockin', cause sometimes the whale lands in your boat when you're not even fishing for one.  :p

irvinehomeowner said:
homer_simpson said:
Made me an offer (200k more than what I paid with upgrades) for my place..
Flip that sucker and buy something in Quail Hill. :)

Thought about it... my wife would freaking kill me.. Moving again will probably end our marriage lol...

She wanted Quail Hill so she can be closer to her colleagues.

jayl23 said:
homer_simpson said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

To me, that's one sign the market is bubble-licious.  I remember an agent knocked on my door back in 2006/2007 and asked if I wanted to sell my house.  The only problem - I was renting the house at the time.  Come to think of it, she was pretty cute too.  :-*

Homer, you should have a "make me move"/WTF price in mind next time someone comes a knockin', cause sometimes the whale lands in your boat when you're not even fishing for one.  :p

I did, I just left that part out...  :p  I think he mumbled "Are you f---ing crazy in Chinese" while walking away.. ROFL... I should have responded but I don't want them to know I can speak their language.. hehe

homer_simpson said:
qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Totally agree with you that I also would't buy in Irvine right now.  Thank god I bought before this bubble started and sold when it started to inflate..

As for the regular income earners buying now and withstanding the potential losses... I hope think most of them wouldbe ok.. To be competitive in this market, most buyers are going in with more than 30% down...

the wage earners may have good down payments, but if they are underwater they likely wont be able to sell. say they had a 30% down on a 800K home, thats 240K, can the wage earner really stomach that kind of loss, my guess is they wont take the loss and just sit there under water and cant sell/move and there will be low inventory in perpetuity in irvine

Back