Death at the gym (24 Hour Fitness - Campus)?

zovall_IHB

I saw a guy collapse while on the stationary bike... I couldn't believe it.. His wife (I think) was also there and I felt so bad for her. The paramedics got there pretty quickly and performed CPR and used the defibrillator a few times. It didn't look good. :(

The whole thing freaked me out.. It seemed like he and his wife were regulars are the gym. He was taking care of himself and yet this still happened. Scary..

[quote author="zovall" date=1235174770]I saw a guy collapse while on the stationary bike... I couldn't believe it.. His wife (I think) was also there and I felt so bad for her. The paramedics got there pretty quickly and performed CPR and used the defibrillator a few times. It didn't look good. :(

The whole thing freaked me out.. It seemed like he and his wife were regulars are the gym. He was taking care of himself and yet this still happened. Scary..</blockquote>

Didn't they have an AED on site? That is pretty much your best chance of survival if used within the first 4 minutes (CPR won't do much). Problem is, most people don't know how to use it (or are afraid to). By the time paramedics get there it is usually too late and survival is in the single digit %.

Years ago a coworker's father died while doing a stress test at his heart doctor's office and 1-2 years later sadly my coworker also died while jogging, he also had a heart attack, he was in his late 30s, he knew that he inherited a heart condition and he was taking good care of himself: exercising regularly, etc. but his genetic precondition was unavoidable. I wasn't working close to him, I was in engineering and he was in finance, but it was a small division of 100 or so employees of a multinational company, so everybody knew each other.

[quote author="skek" date=1235185400]Totally agree about the AEDs. If you don't know how to use one, learn. And if you are in a situation where one is needed, even if you have not trained to use one, grab it and use it anyway. Many have voice prompts that will guide you step by step. ...it's better than doing nothing.</blockquote>

Some even have a video screen with step-by-step instructions (forgot which airport I saw those at). It cab be overwhelming to take on the responsibility but you'd want someone to step in if this were to happen to you.

I feel that the majority of people are not even aware of the urgency in which an AED needs to be used. But the chances of survival increase drastically if used within the first few minutes of a sudden cardiac arrest.

Does anyone know what the liability is when using one of these units on someone else? That is, has anybody been successfully sued for using an AED and the victim not surviving?

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1235185189]

Didn't they have an AED on site? That is pretty much your best chance of survival if used within the first 4 minutes (CPR won't do much). Problem is, most people don't know how to use it (or are afraid to). By the time paramedics get there it is usually too late and survival is in the single digit %.</blockquote>

NOT TRUE! CPR will do "much"!!!

Even if you aren't well trained in CPR, it will still help a great deal.

And a recent study came out that said that you don't even have to do the breathing part, just pumping the chest alone moves enough oxygen to preserve function (in case you are squeeked out by the breathing part).

Just do something

Freedom is right. When I became CPR certified, they did teach that the number of breaths to compressions isn't as important as at least doing something (but, of course, to check for breaths before giving chest compressions.) Also when you need to help someone remember to delegate responsibility by pointing out one specific person nearby and saying: "You! Go call 911!" Sometimes a group will stand around and assume someone else has done it.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1235192416][quote author="green_cactus" date=1235185189]

Didn't they have an AED on site? That is pretty much your best chance of survival if used within the first 4 minutes (CPR won't do much). Problem is, most people don't know how to use it (or are afraid to). By the time paramedics get there it is usually too late and survival is in the single digit %.</blockquote>

NOT TRUE! CPR will do "much"!!!

Even if you aren't well trained in CPR, it will still help a great deal.

And a recent study came out that said that you don't even have to do the breathing part, just pumping the chest alone moves enough oxygen to preserve function (in case you are squeeked out by the breathing part).

Just do something</blockquote>

Don't be fooled by the notion that CPR is "at least something". If an AED is nearby you HAVE to use it. From the American Heart Association

<blockquote>

* Unless CPR <strong>and</strong> defibrillation are provided within minutes of collapse, few attempts at resuscitation are successful.

* Even if CPR is performed, defibrillation with an AED is required to stop the abnormal rhythm and restore a normal heart rhythm.

</blockquote>

Yes, I worked with a guy this year. Brian Takushi. I was talking with him just hours before he died. He said he was leaving work early to trian. He was one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I saw him rubbing his chest and wondered a bit.

Its never good to see somebody die in person. It is something I would not wish on anybody, especially to see somebody die who was a loved one.

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-years-track-2201093-gibson-woodbridge">http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-years-track-2201093-gibson-woodbridge</a>

Back