cyber threats - how to protect self

reviewu

Pretty much every major bank, brokerage and asset manager has been a victim or target of cyber attackers.

So what is the chance one day, electronic records get manipulated with no easy way to recover - for ex, a customer bank account goes from $20k to $2k or brokerage balance from $100k to $40k with no easy way to prove the original state? 1 in a million? 1 in a 100mil?

How do you protect against it? Don't keep savings in electronic bank accounts and instead 1) stash a bunch of large diamonds in your bank safe box? 2) buy an Irvine home free and clear, 3) buy some other non-electronic physical asset - art, antiques, etc?

Just thinking in an extreme cyber warfare scenario...

A Wells Fargo financial advisor told me that he buys physical gold coins and bars and buries them in random places. He makes treasure maps for his kids inheritance.

Just don't put your treasure maps on the computer or in the cloud because cyber threats will still find your money.

paperboyNC said:
A Wells Fargo financial advisor told me that he buys physical gold coins and bars and buries them in random places. He makes treasure maps for his kids inheritance.
Homie buys physical homes all over Irvine.

His kids will use Google Maps to find their treasure.

irvinehomeowner said:
paperboyNC said:
Homie buys physical homes all over Irvine.

His kids will use Google Maps to find their treasure.

Don't tell everyone!!

Hmmm.  I better add a metal detector (go'n on a treasure hunt at that WF advisors home...) to my bug-out stash.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102080234

Hackers aim to pull off cyber-heist worth $1 billion: Report

Europe's top investigative body is warning that criminal hackers are targeting global financial firms, The London Evening Standard reported on Saturday, aiming to steal as much as $1 billion.

In the wake of a cyber-hit on banking giant JPMorgan Chase, Europol has intercepted intelligence that Russia-based tech-gangs are planning a massive hit on a financial institution, the publication reported. Europol has gleaned this information from Internet chatrooms, they added.

Troels Oerting, head of Europol's European Cybercrime Centre in The Hague, told The Standard that hackers have groomed bank insiders to assist in a potential heist. These individuals will shut down warning systems that alert staff when big money leaves the bank.

"The criminals don't want to make thousands of small thefts," said Oerting. "Instead they want one big one on a financial institution."

The full report can be found on The London Standard's website.

Back