Current thoughts in 2011...

the irvine real estate market is a very weird animal right now... i just don't know what to make of it.  i really do feel like i'm waiting in line for one of the last two ipads... or like i was back in high school waiting in line for the newest pair of jordans...  its just crazy... 

are newer build true SFRs in Irvine nothing more than shiny new ipads?  mass produced shiny little boxes that people are trying to scramble to get?  only... if you wait a year, you can have access to a huge supply of the same at a discount?    this is the big question.  will low inventory maintain current pricing?  I'm sure TIC knows this as well, so with they feed buyers a slow, steady stream of supply to maintain pricing?  Currently, there are somewhere under 15 total houses in Irvine built after 1995, over 2000 sq ft, and under $950K in price.    there is a bit of a disconnect between buyers and sellers.  buyers don't want to pay what the sellers want, and sellers dont want to sell at the price the buyers demand.  what happens with equity sellers?  do they just hold and wait?  or does it depend on new home pricing...  for example if TIC releases and continues to release product below current asking prices, won't their inventory clear the market first?  maybe this is their strategy.  anyways, lets say this effect does in fact exist.  low inventory is causing higher prices.  i mean haven't you noticed?  my condo goes for $305 per foot, but a detached SFR is $350?  what gives?  sooooo.. what catalyst needs to happen that causes prices to drop?  what will cause a dramatic influx of inventory to the marketplace? 

i've yet to decide what to do.  part of me thinks long term and says, "just buy the house now... in the long run you'll be fine"....  the other part of me is screaming that i can buy the same house for 10% cheaper next year...  10%?  that's $83K...  prices were there at the previous bottom, i wont say we cant be there again...

Houses are not electronics.  People who bought houses in the 80s are sitting pretty with their VCR and Beta.  :) 

There may be a disconnect between the Talk Irvine and the real world, not just the buyers and sellers. 

By the way, San Marino, half of phase 1 is sold out.

"You are just a whining loser here hoping that Irvine house price can be 50% off so that you can afford a house here." - NonFCB

IndieDev said:
"You are just a whining loser here hoping that Irvine house price can be 50% off so that you can afford a house here." - NonFCB

I disagree, I'd say it's more like 15-25% off.  lol. 

Noma said:
Houses are not electronics.  People who bought houses in the 80s are sitting pretty with their VCR and Beta.  :) 

There may be a disconnect between the Talk Irvine and the real world, not just the buyers and sellers. 

Geezzz, took them long enough...what was the hold up?  haha

Noma said:
San Marino's Phase 1 is like 6 homes right? So they sold a whopping 3 homes! And they've been open for sales for almost a month now?

Not a blistering sales pace but surprising they can push out $1mil homes that have no view, no 3rd car garage and so-so floor plans.

ignoring the recent fortune article on "REAL ESTATE IS BACK", im heavily leaning on taking an out and dropping out of escrow (besides, can you ever forget Fortune's 10 stocks to own for the next decade?)   

im kind of sad, but realize i have to take my emotion out of the situation...  more houses will come..  i'm actually thinking about yorba linda and other areas.  larger houses on bigger lots with decent schools.  closer to friends, reasonable distance to work (kind of)...    soooo.... if anybody is looking for a 2350 sq ft slightly overpriced house, there's one coming back on the market shortly...  i suppose realistically, i'd say it should be about $750-775K...  but at $835, i just can't pull the trigger....     

akim997 said:
ignoring the recent fortune article on "REAL ESTATE IS BACK", im heavily leaning on taking an out and dropping out of escrow (besides, can you ever forget Fortune's 10 stocks to own for the next decade?)   

im kind of sad, but realize i have to take my emotion out of the situation...  more houses will come..  i'm actually thinking about yorba linda and other areas.  larger houses on bigger lots with decent schools.  closer to friends, reasonable distance to work (kind of)...    soooo.... if anybody is looking for a 2350 sq ft slightly overpriced house, there's one coming back on the market shortly...  i suppose realistically, i'd say it should be about $750-775K...  but at $835, i just can't pull the trigger....   

What is the monthly price difference b/n a mortgage that is $835k and $775k?

Isn't going to cost you to get out of escrow now?

But I concur with your valuation... esp considering the prices at Maricopa and Las Ventanas.

Good for you Akim... you'll look back and will be relieved that you made this decision. $835k for a 2350 sq/ft house is overpriced by greedy sellers.  Realistically, I would pay no more than $650k for that house.

akim997 said:

Noma said:
akim997 said:

$322 per month...  but marginal reasoning can get you to places you never wanted to be...  how much is that tv?  $800... ok thats not bad.  how much is that nicer one?  $900... ohh... not too much more... and so on and so on...   

Panda said:
Good for you Akim... you'll look back and will be relieved that you made this decision. $835k for a 2350 sq/ft house is overpriced by greedy sellers.  Realistically, I would pay no more than $650k for that house.

akim997 said:

Let's be realistic... it'd never sell for $650K.  I'd be all over it for $750K.  Besides, I've been finding really nice houses in Yorba for $100per sq ft less...    crazy.  Yorba schools are good too, reasonably diverse, and close enough to the amenities we like. 

Its really funny when you look outside of Irvine... YES, prices ARE declining!    Wife and I had a heart to heart and agreed for now, that Irvine isn't this weird "magical" place... it's nice... but not THAT nice...

akim997 said:
Let's be realistic... it'd never sell for $650K.  I'd be all over it for $750K.  Besides, I've been finding really nice houses in Yorba for $100per sq ft less...    crazy.  Yorba schools are good too, reasonably diverse, and close enough to the amenities we like. 

Its really funny when you look outside of Irvine... YES, prices ARE declining!    Wife and I had a heart to heart and agreed for now, that Irvine isn't this weird "magical" place... it's nice... but not THAT nice...
Looks like you're getting PStar-itis. If your job and family/friends situation allows you to live outside of Irvine... you should go for it.

akim997 said:
Noma said:
akim997 said:

$322 per month...  but marginal reasoning can get you to places you never wanted to be...  how much is that tv?  $800... ok thats not bad.  how much is that nicer one?  $900... ohh... not too much more... and so on and so on...   

Its not just about the variance in monthly payment. Its about having  the flexibility to sell down the road in case of an unforeseen circumstance and not having to take a huge loss on the sale.  Once you buy the house you are automatically 6% in the hole, pile that on top of overpaying for the house and good luck trying to sell it without losing money later.

qwerty said:
Its not just about the variance in monthly payment. Its about having  the flexibility to sell down the road in case of an unforeseen circumstance and not having to take a huge loss on the sale.  Once you buy the house you are automatically 6% in the hole, pile that on top of overpaying for the house and good luck trying to sell it without losing money later.

That's actually something not a lot of people ever really consider, what would it cost to get out of this house if I don't actually end up living here for 30 years?

A very important factor in a home purchasing decision.

IndieDev said:
qwerty said:

That's actually something not a lot of people ever really consider, what would it cost to get out of this house if I don't actually end up living here for 30 years?

that is the first thing i look at as well as how much i would lose per month if i had to rent it out for whatever reason. on homes we have looked at, our monthly loss if we had to rent it out would be $800-$1,000 per month. So that tells you how overpriced those homes have been.

Qwerty,

is the $800 - $1000 rental loss per month with 20% down?

qwerty said:
IndieDev said:
qwerty said:

that is the first thing i look at as well as how much i would lose per month if i had to rent it out for whatever reason. on homes we have looked at, our monthly loss if we had to rent it out would be $800-$1,000 per month. So that tells you how overpriced those homes have been.

Panda said:
Qwerty,

is the $800 - $1000 rental loss per month with 20% down?

qwerty said:
IndieDev said:
qwerty said:

Panda - yes that includes 20% down.

Well, can someone help me with this?  I'd guess that the house could rent for $3400 per month... 

Price of house:  $835K, down = 20% or $167K, and financed amount is $668K

Mortgage payment:  $3500
Tax subsidy:  -800
Prop Tax:  $875
Tax subsidy:  -250
HOA: $74
HO Ins:  $120

Total:  $3519

Am  I that far off???

Back