Culture, Class, Community and Race in Irvine and Beyond

Oh, plus, on-site manager, laundry facility, recreation and conference rooms, gym, etc.

Registered guests can stay over night.

Good place to meet singles, not so rich singles, that is.

oc_fliptrack

Sorry you are wrong. Lots of young women. That's why the 24-hour guard at the door. If you look as if you are up to no good, he won't even open the door.

BTW, the studio rooms are good size. If I remember it right, they are 400 to 500 sf. Anyone interested can go get an application form and a floor plan from the guard. The manager works only 9 to 5, weekdays.

<p>Back to ISBs thoughts.</p>

<p>I am Mexican. Or of Mexican heritage or ancestry. Or maybe Chicano or Hispanic or Mexican American or American Mexican or happa haole or just happa or ese or cholo or juero. My cousins call me coconut, brown on the outside and white on the inside. I don't like avocado, guacamole, menudo, chile, tortillas, tequilla, lengua, or manteca, but I do like Ibarra, chile verde, barbacoa, carnitas, and my mom's fideo.</p>

<p>I guess I am just American.</p>

You don't like avocado or guacamole?!

You must be some right-wing pinko fascist lefty liberal blah, blah, blah.

I could live on guacamole. I had a buddy who imported fruits and vegetables so he'd always have extra crates. He even made guacamole shakes, yummm!!! There's an <a href="http://www.avofest.com/contest.htm">annual guacamole festival in Carpinteria</a> just south of Santa Barbara where they make pies and just about anything else you'd make in the kitchen.

<p>This thread cracks me up. I'm adopted and I've absolutely no clue as to my heritage. Unwanted bastard child, left in a basket on the doorstep. LOL.</p>

<p>Maybe <a href="https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate.html">these guys </a>can help?</p>

I recall couple years back when I was visiting new model homes, I saw quite a few Persian families. But recently I haven't seen any, it's mostly Asians. I'm curious as to what the demographic numbers for Persians in Irvine?

Also, I was walking around Woodbridge Lake (north) last weekend, near the restaurant area. I don't know if it's pure coincidence, but I bumped into 3 Russian speaking families along the lake and they don't appear to be related. Perhaps my Russian isn't very good and some were actually speaking another Eastern European language, but it was just odd that I'd suddenly bump into 3 East-Euro families in a row?

As for race and ethnicity... we have this weird PC multicultural thing about lumping people into 4 racial groups here, White, African-American, Asian-American, and Hispanic. There's also American Indian but you rarely see them here. We also like to use words like "Korean American", "Chinese American", etc. I other places like, say, Malaysia, they don't say "Chinese Malaysian", but do use "bumiputra" (ethnic Malay/indigenous) for affirmative action purposes.

p.s. if you guys are looking for girls, for heaven's sake just go take some classes at IVCC or UCI and meet girls in Tennis or something. Stalking apartment buildings is just creepy.

Ha Ha! No stalking apt buildings... You can't miss the Irvine Inn if you're walking down Warner to The District. There's no way around it.

oc_fliptrack,

I personally know a girl who just got kicked out for making too much money to live in Irvine Inn, and get this, she is an agent.

A friend's daughter seems to be on the waiting list forever. It is a popular alternative housing for singles who work in Irvine but can't afford to live here.

<p>A couple hundred sq ft is plenty for a 20-something just starting out. It's too bad the NIMBYs would have a coronary over the creation of additional housing of this nature. It's space efficient and energy efficient.</p>

<p>oc_fliptrack,</p>

<p>It was my pleasure to clear up your halva dilemma. I enjoyed your blog and Mexican food reviews very much. I get halva at Trader Joe's from time to time. The marble halva with a touch of chocolate is quite tasty.</p>

<p> You are far too kind. Profette, one of the reasons why I took my blog down is the powerful and creative minds over here at IHB. I don't have the attention span or the creativity to match the quality of the content here. As long as this forum exists, I can vent my spleen the same way I did on my blog.</p>

<p>As for my adoptive folks, they'd probably be a lot happier if I hadn't moved to the opposite coast.</p>

Hi Almon, no, I'm not foaming at the mouth! I appreciate you noticing that the thread had already gone off in different directions. People have already started to reign in it here and there, so I'm not too worried.

IHB forums have moved from tiny size to medium/large (maybe "husky?") so it's good to have a little more structure here and there. There are well over 400 members, and I'm sure the traffic is out of control, only a few know the answer to that though! It really hit me over the weekend when both my dad and my cousin knew all about this site when I talked about it. (My dad even asked me if I was "the Soul Brother!" because I talk like I write apparently). At this size, and with this many topics, it's just good to keep a little big of macrofocus, and I'm glad that seems to resonate with other members on here.

Back