CTY program at Johns Hopkins University

Just to give an update.
My son passed the test and got into the program.  However when I checked prices for the offered courses I understood why the program was considered by some as scam.  The programs are VERY expensive.  I checked so far only summer programs and it costs about $3,800 for room and board for 3 weeks.  If you commute to camp  fees are closer to $3,000 but not much less.
Their online courses are better priced at about $700 or $800 for 3 months course.
I'm very disappointed.

Many top tier schools use the summer program to rake in $$$ from proud parents. If you are deep pocket consider it as a 3 week childcare to teach your kid independence before college. Who wants to admit they had been scammed afterall the kids did have a good time and learned to be independent like crossing a street or walking to a destination.

I went through the CTY program..... i think in 7th grade i took i believe Algebra II when i was there....... i would say aside from meeting friends and learning a pre college experience it was basically useless.... i believe it was the "in" thing to do at my school and you get bragging rights for have gone to CTY because 1) you had 3000 dollars to spend in 3 weeks....2) you were smart enough to get 1150? or so on the old SAT back in my time (keep in mind its in 7th grade)

Thank you for sharing your experience. Like I said the whole idea of marketing is to convince you to over pay for a product for that feeling good experience. It could be a CTY program, a shiny black bag of salt bomb noodle, or a community that has nothing to do with "Laguna".

Focus on the contents and never on the packaging.

Anyone has experience with the ATS program? I got a flyer about the test, but didn't hear about it yet.

steven said:
My daughter was 7 when she tested into CTY. 

By the way, UCI also has a program (http://www.giftedstudents.uci.edu/).  She attended the Saturday classes for a few years.  It doesn't have as much variety as CTY and doesn't have the distance learning option.  But most of the kids are local, so there's more opportunity to make friends.

Back