crown moulding recommendations

I have heard of place like CA Moulding and Art of Moulding that does pre-painted wainscoting and moulding.  Does anyone have pros or cons of that?  Most people get them painted after they are installed.  HOwever, that is a hassle and I don't know if I would like paint spray getting everywhere, even if they move and cover furniture.  Has anyone done the pre-painted moudling?

irvineboy said:
Has anyone have a good recommendation for crown moulding and wainscotting?

We used a recommendation from TI when we did our crown molding and wainscotting, Robert from OC Finishwood.  I was very pleased with his work and price.  He did crown molding in 4 rooms, chairails, wainscotting (beadboard and paneling), and casing on some entryways.  He pays attention to detail and does a great job, but it does take him a while.  He is also difficult to get a hold of (presumably because he is busy) and many others on TI have mentioned this.  I have found it is best to get a hold of him via text.

Marty said:
irvineboy said:

We used a recommendation from TI when we did our crown molding and wainscotting, Robert from OC Finishwood.  I was very pleased with his work and price.  He did crown molding in 4 rooms, chairails, wainscotting (beadboard and paneling), and casing on some entryways.  He pays attention to detail and does a great job, but it does take him a while.  He is also difficult to get a hold of (presumably because he is busy) and many others on TI have mentioned this.  I have found it is best to get a hold of him via text.

Did you hire painters afterward or was it prepainted?

We used Robert from OC Finish Wood as well and were very pleased with his work.  As others have noted, he is quite busy and booked up weeks in advance.  He started work 3 weeks after our initial meeting as he was fully committed.  Also, communicating on text and email was his preferred method.

We wanted to have him come before the painters but because of the scheduling, he ended up after the painters.  We were a bit worried as he sprays the moulding once they are installed and didn't want him messing up our freshly painted walls.  However, he was very careful and there were no issues at all. 

Just fyi, you can negotiate with him.  After some going back and forth, he dropped his quote by $1000 on a $6000 initial quote.  He isn't the cheapest and even after the discount, he was still higher than many but his quality and attention to detail are worth every penny.  Also he stands by his work.  He came back to fix something that we saw after we paid him and he could have easily did a song and dance but ended up spending a few hours correcting it and repainting it. 

shadyoc said:
Marty said:
irvineboy said:

Did you hire painters afterward or was it prepainted?

So, we painted the interior walls before we did any work in the house.  Robert then came in to install the molding.  He painted his own molding

Marty, did he paint on the spot or did he paint outside and then install? I am debating Millworkcraft who doesnt paint and California Moulding who has it prepainted. I am leaning. toward having it painted outside of the house. That way we dont have to live with painters taping up everything and running the risk of overspray on furnitute, walls, ceilings, etc not to mention living thru the painting onsite.

Has anyone on the forum had moulding and wainscoting prepainted outside of the house, then installed after its painted? Worry about putty and caulking maybe not matching, even with touch up. But prepaint sounds so much easier.

shadyoc said:
Marty, did he paint on the spot or did he paint outside and then install? I am debating Millworkcraft who doesnt paint and California Moulding who has it prepainted. I am leaning. toward having it painted outside of the house. That way we dont have to live with painters taping up everything and running the risk of overspray on furnitute, walls, ceilings, etc not to mention living thru the painting onsite.

Has anyone on the forum had moulding and wainscoting prepainted outside of the house, then installed after its painted? Worry about putty and caulking maybe not matching, even with touch up. But prepaint sounds so much easier.

He painted after the molding and wainsoting was installed.  No issues with taping, overspray, etc.  He sprayed the paint on and applied several coats.  He did a good job covering up the nails.  The issue I see with painting before installation is the seeing the nails.  I don't want to see the nails. He installed, and then primed, and then two coats of paints.  It isn't perfect but alot better then what I've seen.  I don't like to see nails in the molding/wainscoat and it really bothers me so this was the best approach to minimize this.

Same experience for us as Marty had.  Robert taped everything and there was no issues.  You can't see nails and the joints are really tight.  I wouldn't say perfect but its pretty darn close. 

If they paint outside or don't paint at all, you will see the nails.  Its not a big deal but you will notice them.

I will call him. My neighbors used woodstone moulding and they are most expensive. Some used CA Moulding which are cheaper.  Some used Millwork Craft which is middle.  Curious as to how OC Finishwood compares pricewise and quality wise. I got a flier for Woodwork Solutions in Mission Viejo  but no one has ever used them.

shadyoc said:
I will call him. My neighbors used woodstone moulding and they are most expensive. Some used CA Moulding which are cheaper.  Some used Millwork Craft which is middle.  Curious as to how OC Finishwood compares price wise and quality wise. I got a flier for Woodwork Solutions in Mission Viejo  but no one has ever used them.

Not sure how he compares to the companies you mentioned.  We got 4 quotes and 1 was completely ridiculous and quickly eliminated.  Of the 3 remaining quotes, OC Finishwood was more expensive but quality was definitely better.  We negotiated and ended up higher than other quotes but much much closer to them.

Also the baseboard and moulding we picked was on the higher side.  Check out World of Moulding in Santa Ana to get idea of material cost.

Attachments

• Quotes.png
    Quotes.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 252
Never made sense to me. Why wouldn't they paint before install. Then just do a spot treatment on any nail holes. Usually they use putty to fill in the hole and just a dab of paint on it. Painting before installation gets a clean paint job vs spraying after it is installed. Also if they pre-paint it, it should not be done in your driveway. Ideally in their own warehouse but I'm guessing most places don't have that elaborate of a setup.

I think it is because the caulking will turn yellow.  Thats why they like to spray paint in place, after the moulding has been installed.

rkp said:
Same experience for us as Marty had.  Robert taped everything and there was no issues.  You can't see nails and the joints are really tight.  I wouldn't say perfect but its pretty darn close. 

If they paint outside or don't paint at all, you will see the nails.  Its not a big deal but you will notice them.

Can you see the seams where the crown moulding comes together after 16'?  Thats my biggest worry.

Back