Crossroads

cubiczirconia

Say you are at a phase in life where you have to hit restart. What do you do?
1. Go back to college, get another credential, join the workforce
2. Start a business with the same money
3. Buy a franchise
4. Do what you are doing, hope it will work out

2 cents, other options welcome :)

I'm assuming from 1-3 that there is seed money.

I would do #2 or #3... no more school for me and I would prefer to be my own boss.

Ooooh. Love this. I'm in the same boat as you, CZ. After 9 years, the day I've been wanting to prepare for is arriving this fall. It will be a fresh start and I have little idea where it is going to go. In the meantime, I am just praying for God's will to be done (as always), put the right people in my life at the right time and likewise - me in theirs... and getting ready to do some volunteer work so I will not be idle.

So far I'm leaning towards #2.

You?

Yes, there is seed money- it can be a new luxury car, upgrade from the itty-bitty or the fund the future.
2 or 3 is on my mind too, but lacking the motivation. I want the sugar daddy to kick me out of the house and discontinue my health insurance so that I find a reason to push myself :|
In that direction, taking SBA classes now and then.. baby step hasn't led to any giant leap yet.
It looks like a waste of money and time to go back to college and get another degree (already have my Masters), but when I look at careers like High School math teacher, it's tempting- good pay, lot of vacation..

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm assuming from 1-3 that there is seed money.

I would do #2 or #3... no more school for me and I would prefer to be my own boss.

SoCal78 said:
Ooooh. Love this. I'm in the same boat as you, CZ. After 9 years, the day I've been wanting to prepare for is arriving this fall. It will be a fresh start and I have little idea where it is going to go. In the meantime, I am just praying for God's will to be done (as always), put the right people in my life at the right time and likewise - me in theirs... and getting ready to do some volunteer work so I will not be idle.

So far I'm leaning towards #2.

You?

:) Yes, September of our lives :p
See my reply to IHO- torn between 2 and 3, and 1 tempts as well. So far all my Plan 2s seem to be executed by someone else..

Cubic Zirconia said:
when I look at careers like High School math teacher, it's tempting- good pay, lot of vacation..

Same here!

You know what they say: "The three best reasons to become a teacher are: June, July, and August!"  :D

SoCal78 said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
when I look at careers like High School math teacher, it's tempting- good pay, lot of vacation..

Same here!

You know what they say: "The three best reasons to become a teacher are: June, July, and August!"  :D

Both of my parents were lecturers- had the best vacations every summer. They always had time and money for me :p

Cubic Zirconia said:
SoCal78 said:
Cubic Zirconia said:

Same here!

Both of my parents were lecturers- had the best vacations every summer. They always had time and money for me :p

my dad is a prof over at SC and definitely is a work-a-holic.  i think the only summers he took off were to go to india.  i think its less about the job and more about the person.  even in my own job, i have colleagues that work much less and get by and i have those that work 24/7...

my wife wants to do 2 but i want her to do 3 as this will be our first endevour outside of work and i figure a franchise is a proven model that we can build upon....or alternatively buy an existing business in the area that we want to pursue

rkp said:
my wife wants to do 2 but i want her to do 3 as this will be our first endevour outside of work and i figure a franchise is a proven model that we can build upon....or alternatively buy an existing business in the area that we want to pursue
Hey... you should spend more time in my Franchises thread bouncing ideas around.

If you can identify a niche business with few competitors, starting your own is easy... but in a field where there are many.... the franchise route is easier.

rkp said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
SoCal78 said:
Cubic Zirconia said:

Same here!

my dad is a prof over at SC and definitely is a work-a-holic.  i think the only summers he took off were to go to india.  i think its less about the job and more about the person.  even in my own job, i have colleagues that work much less and get by and i have those that work 24/7...

3. my idea of starting out is working at one such place at grass root level. I think I should head over to IHO's thread now...

Buy a smartphone, and if you already have one, really learn how to use it...

If it is an Android, let it lead you out of Irvine once in a while if you dare to,

&

For all of you MBAs, CPA, PhDs around here... this 14-year old:
http://goo.gl/6tsw3

is yielding 70% in her investments... how about U?

&

The Asian answer to EVERYTHING and the meaning of LIFE is to: Get MORE EDUCATION...!

roundcorners said:
The Asian answer to EVERYTHING and the meaning of LIFE is to: Get MORE EDUCATION...!

Yes. That's the biggest problem. And since I grew up in an academically oriented household, it's hard to breakout the mold and be something else. But change has to begin somewhere :)

That Android, I play with it a lot, but you know what, if the bubble wrap is around the mind, eyes can't help.

Cubic Zirconia said:
roundcorners said:

Yes. That's the biggest problem. And since I grew up in an academically oriented household, it's hard to breakout the mold and be something else. But change has to begin somewhere :)

That Android, I play with it a lot, but you know what, if the bubble wrap is around the mind, eyes can't help.

WhatWouldAsiansDo00small1.jpg

Back