Crossfit annoyance

Cornflakes

Does it bother anyone else that Crossfit business model is little to exploitative? I have nothing against people who run on the streets and keep active lifestyle. As a driver, I feel that when a group of people are running around, in small batches, up and down, it increase the chances of accident and a bad outcome for both parties. All the while Crossfit keeps all profits while using public property and transferring risk to members and drivers.

If I was driving through an area where high foot traffic is usual and no particular business is benefiting, that would be quite alright.

I haven't seen any Crossfits that get in the way.  I think it is nice if they can take advantage of their surroundings and keep costs lower.  I don't think it's exploitative, necessarily.  I might be bothered if I had a business next to a Crossfit, though.

That said, I've seen other fitness instructors and programs exploit public resources to the point where it's questionable.

The fact that you guys question the use of public areas is amazing. Every business uses public areas.

Not so much about the use of public area but more about transferring the risk to public. The reason we dont allow smoke spewing chemical factory in the middle of residential zone is because it transfers the health risk while business owners prosper. On a smaller scall, crossfit transfers the risk of injury and accidents to outside while cashing in.

I cross private business deiveway several times a week where I invariably have to wait patiently and with full alertness to let all runners go by to their cross fit few buildings down. I consider it as elevated risk for them, me and other drivers who might not be as careful. I won't have any problem if that location was popular among runners and foot traffic was much higher provided no specific business is getting rich.

Well, if "risk transfer" is the concern, then you should be more upset with everyone you see daily who's above their ideal weight, which means 2/3rds+ of the population. They're a major reason why your healthcare costs increase every year.

On the glass half full side, at least overweight folks might cure Social Security's solvency issues, by dying many years, if not decades, before their actuarial expected age at death.

I empathize with your annoyance though. I don't understand why office buildings have smoking zones outside; and they tend to be in trafficked/thoroughfare areas between the buildings and parking structures. So you're forced to pass the future cancer victims daily and momentarily endure the burning tobacco stench.

fightclub.jpg

So a popular store or restaurant would be a bad thing too as there will be a lot of traffic in the parking lot and even on the street outside the parking lot.  With all that foot traffic in the parking lot, risk is increased. 

Cornflakes is on to something. What is the true cost of your product or service?

There is a new field of study that tries to address this issue:

"True Cost Economics: An economic model that seeks to include the cost of negative externalities into the pricing of goods and services. Supporters of this type of economic system feel products and activities that directly or indirectly cause harmful consequences to living beings and/or the environment should be accordingly taxed to reflect the somewhat hidden costs."
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/truecosteconomics.asp

Back