Creamistry?

davidr

Hi all.

Just found this site.  Been living in Northpark since 2000 - halfway between the Orchard Hills Plaza and Northpark Plaza.  Anyone know when the Creamistry liquid-nitrogen ice-cream place is opening down at Culver & Barranca?  Never had this but reviews of similar places all say it's great.  I hate froyo and there's almost no ice-cream places around.  Too bad the gelato place at Woodbury Square closed...

David

Interesting.. I just watched a Shark Tank episode last night which featured a similar ice cream shop.  Wonder who was the first.

SoCal said:
Is "liquid nitrogen ice cream" the same thing as Dippin' Dots??

From what I've seen, they're both made using liquid nitrogen.  But DD are made as tiny little balls of ice-cream that can be poured like rice or grain.  It's their gimmick and lets them mix flavors and colors.  They are made/frozen at a factory and shipped all over.

Creamistry (and other similar places opening up like Ice Cream Lab up in BH) keep the ice cream base liquid and then freeze each order just before serving.  That way (besides being really cool), the ice cream has no time to develop and crystals in it from thawing/re-freezing and is super smooth.  No little dots.

I think because of the "making" process, it really slows down the line... comments are it takes 15 minutes to make an order.

There was a place called Humphrey Yogurt that used to be in the Triangle Square and also MetroPlace in Costa Mesa.  They took frozen yogurt (sweet or tart) combined it with toppings and mixed it all together with a machine (like a McFlurry). It's too bad they didn't catch on more because I like that type of frozen yogurt over the one with toppings all over it.

It can't possibly take 15 minutes to make one of those things. Perhaps it takes 15 minutes to get your order, but no way it takes 15 minutes. I saw one of these places on shark tank, think it was in Texas and they asked how fast they can make it in because one of the sharks thought it would be to slow, the owner said it takes about 60 seconds to make an order.

wife and kid tried it the other day.. 20 minute wait.. kid was amused by the liquid nitrogen show.. $5 for a small.. not worth it in my opinion..

Before I was in RE, I worked as a chemist for Becton Dickinson and Johnson&Johnson. On "bring your child to work" days we would make the liquid nitrogen ice cream. It was always a hit, but I never thought someone would try to make it work as a business venture.

Yes, it keeps science "cool" but it's a pretty expensive process for the same old ice cream. It will be interesting to see if they can make it work. If I had to make a wager on it, I'd bet against it.

-IR2

Being from the Midwest, Strickland's is very comparable imo.  I believe the original owner of Stricklands is from Ohio and there are Strickland stores over there.

Back