Crash Proof Peter Schiff

Blackacre-seeker, the easiest way to trade gold or silver is through the exchange traded funds GLD and SLV.

Each share of GLD is backed by 1/10th of an ounce of gold. Each share of SLV is backed by 10 ounces of silver.

You have instant liquidity, and none of the hassles of storage or security.

<a href="http://kitco.com/">http://kitco.com/</a> Get a <a href="https://online.kitco.com/sellprice/selling_pools.html">pool account</a>, it makes it really easy to trade metals.

<i>"Traditionally, in such a scenario, all asset classes would fall relative to gold, but what if gold is no longer considered the standard?"</i><p>

As I read, in a pure deflationary scenario, gold and other commodities would depreciate against fiat currency. Cash would be king. The present credit crunch is deflationary and should make cash valuable. If there was no Federal Reserve or central banks and if the Fed did not have the history it has, I would prefer cash, (T bills). If you had asked me one year ago, I would say that I could definitely imagine deflation where commodities, equities, and real estate would devalue and cash would appreciate. And I would have given that scenario the greater odds of occuring. And I was not willing to game it and go to cash.<p>

Because, the Fed has a history that the Fed will increase the money supply when confronted with anything deflationary, and I did not want to take the chance that I would miss out on what I see will be a monstruous inflation, both monetary and price.<p>

I do not think gold is considered the standard or a standard. I think gold is considered by most to be a barbaric and ancient relic and a tradable commodity for a few. Even with the last couple years rise in the dollar price of gold, I do not see gold on the radar screen of the mainstream investment community. Unlike gold bugs, I do not consider gold to be money. It is not used or accepted as a medium of exchange or a store of value, except by a very, very few. In my mind, by my reckoning, the time to go long on any asset class is before it gains acceptance by the mob and when there are valid reasons to think that it will be. So far, this is working for gold.<p>

Will gold become a standard or money again? I doubt it and would not bet on it. A gold standard would greatly increase the difficulty of the wealthy and the powerful to surreptitiously tax and take from middle and lower class. Nor do I forsee a time when the mob will give up the idea that the government can provide without cost.<p>

I do not see gold as a better asset class than equities or real estate or ... For me, gold is a means to an ends. I see it as undervalued and ready for a cyclical run up in value. Just as residential re is overvalued and ready for a cyclical decrease in value. After gold appreciates to what I think will be a apex, I will sell it for a home and whatever I think the next undervalued asset is. My guess is that will be dividend paying stocks.<p>

I do not see any particular asset class as better than another. To me, it is just a matter of timing, recognizing what the mob is thinking and being willing to do the opposite. I guess some call that recognizing value.

blackacre-seeker - Keeping precious metals in one's home sounds irresponsible and reckless to me. And if one has a family, keeping any store of wealth in one's home sounds like endangerment.

<p>I bought a book for the hub for Christmas, called The Black Swan. Seeing as how it was a gift, I had to let him read it first.</p>

<p>It is absolutely wonderful; an explanation fo why we all get it so wrong, so often.</p>

<p>Basically we are build to see small incremental things, and what often happens is some superbig thing that just jumped in unexpected. And then we try to explain it afterwards with convincing, but entirely incorrect explanations.</p>

<p>But then I read they guy is a quant, working analyzing credit derivatives who wants to be a philosopher when he grows up. Anyway, I don't think that takes too much away from the book. Maybe you guys have already heard io it, (they have over on Calculated Risk), but I picked it up, more or less at random, while looking for Christmas gifts.</p>

<p>That book is sitting on my dresser. I've been waiting for more free time. Now that I'm out of school and not working, I guess that time is here.</p>

Graphrix, the problem I see with Kitco pool accounts is the spread between bid and ask. You won't find spreads like that for the GLD and SLV ETFs. Of course, if you want to buy rhodium, then Kitco is probably the only game in town. (I am not sure if it has started yet, but I read somewhere that there is a platinum ETF that is going to trade soon. Given what happened when the SLV and GLD ETFs started, it might not be a bad idea to get in a platinum pool at Kitco)

<p>I'm finding I have to read it sloooowly, which is good because I read too fast. I don't think you are supposed to understand all of it.</p>

<p>Basically sez 90% of all non-science knowledge is crap. Which I posted elsewhere on this blog, and got no book royalties whatsoever. Alas.</p>

And it seems that 98% of all science is later shown to be wrong when "new" science disproves the former.

<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2hs6jl">International funds look poised to continue to outperform U.S. rivals</a>.

<em>

International stock funds enjoyed a rising tide in the past 12 months that lifted most portfolios, and fund managers predict that 2008 will be the seventh consecutive year in which foreign-stock funds top their U.S. rivals.</em>

<em> International stock funds rose 11.1% on average in the year through Dec. 28, according to preliminary data from fund-tracker Lipper Inc. That was better than four percentage points over their U.S. counterparts.

</em> <em>

The biggest gains for international funds, which invest in companies based outside of the U.S., came from portfolios that follow growth-stock strategies.</em> <em>

</em><em>

"While metals have been down recently over slowing demand globally, we think next year emerging markets driven by China will increase their demand," Landesman said. "It's going to be more to the upside than a lot of people think next year. And some of these companies have big economies of scale, particularly in mining."</em>

<p>Well we just spend that past two days reformulating our portfolios to included a higher %tage of international funds so I hope this article is right!!! Still not sure how I feel about actually taking the plunge into international stocks themselves and gold....</p>

<p>does anyone here buy foreign currency cd's? Looking into everbank and thinking of getting some foreign currency cd's but can't seem to figure out whether the whole process is legit of if somehow they are taking a hidden cut somewhere!</p>

<p>Hard science isn't necessarily any more right than social science - they rely on so many of the same statistical analyses that they are open to many of the same mistakes.</p>

I have a couple CDs and posted about them here in the past. They are legitimate. I believe they get you in and out within 1% of the spot price, but I don't know if that's from the open, close, time of trade, or what. But day to day currencies don't seem to move all that much.

Blackacre-seeker:

-----------

"Do you consider bond and CD "returns to be guaranteed"? In real as opposed to nominal dollars?" -I have no idea what you are talking about here, can you pls elaborate? :)

-----------

CDs, and the coupon rates of bonds, are pegged at a certain % interest. That is all well and good as long as inflation stays the same. Your nice safe 2 year 5.5% CD is earning 2 or 3 % points more than inflation. If inflation doubles, then your CD is now losing money in real (inflation adjusted) terms. And if your bonds are in a bond fund, or if you try and sell them before their maturity date, their value would go down if inflation perks up, which would cause interest rates to increase as well.

Real assets (real estate, gold) and stocks (which represent real assets) tend to do better when inflation increases because their value rises with the inflated prices of everything else.

The point isn't that CDs or Bonds are bad... just that they do have some risk factors to them that people don't always recognize.

<p>I have to share this. ..the crazy lady is back.</p>

<p><a href="http://europac.net/Schiff-Fox-1-01-08_lg.asp">europac.net/Schiff-Fox-1-01-08_lg.asp</a></p>

<p> </p>

IrvineCommuter.....OMG, I'm ROTFLMAO ! I think she's bucking for a spot at the NAR. "I'm not going to throw out numbers, they're meaningless"....yeah, RIGHT !

My favorite part comes at the end when Schiff takes a swipe at realtors and the crazy lady rebuts by saying " I am not trying to sell a book. . ." No, you just want people to buy homes at price two to three times their worth.

Back