Cox Woodbury calls cops on FCB kids

Ready2Downsize said:
fortune11 said:
My_Alter_Ego said:
HMart said:
eyephone said:
Another spin to the story. Maybe the IPD should hire more Asian speaking officers.

I?m not suprised that this happened. OR Maybe Cox should have a Chinese speaking rep if most of the customers speak Chinese. (Just saying)

I really don?t care, because I don?t have cable or satellite.
#cutthecord

Given that Woodbury is the closest (operating) shopping center to the Great Park, and the Great Park houses have sold so well to foreign Chinese buyers, it would indeed make sense for all the stores over there to have at least 1 Mandarin speaking staff.

On the other hand, I wonder what kind of effort the citizens of Irvine can do to welcome and help integrate new immigrants. Maybe some kind of organized lunch, block party, etc for people to get to know their neighbors. Unfamiliarity and loneliness are breeding grounds for suspicion and misunderstanding. I know it's fun to make fun of ignorant mainlanders but probably not very useful for the future of Irvine.

The effort should primarily fall on those that don't speak the language of this country.  Learn the language.  Foreigners CHOSE to live in the US...then learn how to speak English.  Why are DMV written tests also administered in Korean, Chinese and Spanish?  If you can't read the road signs, then you don't deserve a license.

Yes , it is perfectly normal for anyone arriving in this country from a different culture to speak fluent English from day one

I am sure the Italian and German ancestors of many whites also knew fluent English the day they got checked into Ellis island

How do you know that these immigrants are not trying ? And would it kill you to lend them a helping hand ?

I am sure many of them can actually read English better than our over privileged doofus-in-chief sitting in the Oval Office who can only read fast food menus and nothing else :)

I have no details of this particular cox cable story so I am not assuming anything . Maybe these indeed are bad actors . But see how easy it is to generalize ?

My mom could read, write and speak four languages all fluently when she stepped foot on U. S. soil....... Dutch, German, French and English.

But that was when we were a great country that people came to to work and assimilate, not for handouts.

Is there any other country that insists that they have multiple languages in every possible place? For pete's sake, go to Cancun and the main bus terminal is full of Americans, Canadians and whoever else buying tix to the airport or other longer range trips and not one sign is any language but Spanish, not even the sign with the fares.

We are enablers. No need to assimilate to get money here just show up and say I don't speak English but I need money.

And I wasn't born here either but I speak English, not French because this is AMERICA, once a country we could be proud of. Know what my European relatives think of us? They use to think America was great and mighty, a place to look up to, but that all changed in the last decade. They call us weak and lazy. And that is what we have become, not something I'm proud of.

ah .. the good old days .. always look better in hindsight .  you know the mind tends to airbrush all the bad stuff out and keep just the good memories , right ?

at least back then , everyone " knew their place " and we didn't have to worry about "these other people" demanding a place at the table ...

fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
fortune11 said:
Do we even know what exactly happened here ? We are just making assumptions aren?t we .  Wonder if there is any reporting on any of the local media outlets .

It?s probably nothing.

Since this is cable topic. Sling is very good quality. I tried the 7 day trial to watch the super bowl and streamed flawless.

Interesting - will have to look into this . I am getting killed on my cox bill .

Do you have the ability to record multiple shows at the same time ?

DVR cloud for an extra $5 a month.
http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/What-features-are-included-in-the-Cloud-DVR-Beta-program

IMO within 10 years or so, real time translation hardware/software will be good enough and cheap enough that the technology will become widespread.  Foreign language instruction will not go away but reduced along with need for human translators.  A typical translation job will change from translating from scratch to simply editing/proof reading machine translated text for errors.

It's too early to assess the full impact.  Pessimistically we can predict language teaching and translation job decline, but on the flip side the technology will enable vast libraries of literary works across the globe that weren't previously translated to become avail in local languages, and may create many job opportunities for human translators as editors.  However these jobs will be of the "gig economy" type and not offer long term employment with benefits.

fortune11 said:
Yes , it is perfectly normal for anyone arriving in this country from a different culture to speak fluent English from day one

I am sure the Italian and German ancestors of many whites also knew fluent English the day they got checked into Ellis island

How do you know that these immigrants are not trying ? And would it kill you to lend them a helping hand ?

I think this is a reasonable position, especially if private businesses decide it's a good idea to provide bilingual employees to assist customers.

There does need to be a balance though.  I remember growing up in Little Saigon in the 80's there was an outcry because a lot of the Vietnamese business owners felt like the fire department wasn't responding quickly enough to emergencies.  Well, it turns out all the store signs were in Vietnamese and the firefighters had a hard time reading them.  So a lack of assimilation created real problems and friction in the community.  There needs to be a certain amount of assimilation for society to function properly.

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

I think this is a reasonable position, especially if private businesses decide it's a good idea to provide bilingual employees to assist customers.

There does need to be a balance though.  I remember growing up in Little Saigon in the 80's there was an outcry because a lot of the Vietnamese business owners felt like the fire department wasn't responding quickly enough to emergencies.  Well, it turns out all the store signs were in Vietnamese and the firefighters had a hard time reading them.  So a lack of assimilation created real problems and friction in the community.  There needs to be a certain amount of assimilation for society to function properly.

Yes - we need balance -- and this is where our country is simply the best in the world -- and we don't have the problems Europeans have with their immigrant populations.  Problem with the current environment, there is an active effort to stigmatize and marginalize immigrants . 

just like stocks don't go up in a straight line , assimilation cannot always proceed with a perfect textbook definition - there are ups and downs - key is to help people recover, not by generalizing and labeling them because their English doesn't happen to be fluent right from the beginning . 

I haven't seen anyone complaining when the French flaunt their "nice and romantic" language .  It is usually a problem when it is non white cultures - be it Vietnamese, Chinese , Indian or Mexican.

Bad behavior by certain immigrants is not caused by Americans. I'm sure these people behaved just as bad in their old country.

Happiness said:
Bad behavior by certain immigrants is not caused by Americans. I'm sure these people behaved just as bad in their old country.

Obviously if they behaved badly they need to be called out and dealt w/ - but we don't know anything about the situation

but making broad generalizations based on whatever mental baggage we carry w us (this also holds for many immigrants btw) is not , what shall I say,  "fair and balanced  " 

I'm more concerned about the predatory behavior of cable companies than I am of immigrants.

Speaking of the beautiful French language, is there any way you can get the French channel without having to order the package with 200 television channels that you'll never watch?

Loco_local said:
I'm more concerned about the predatory behavior of cable companies than I am of immigrants.

Speaking of the beautiful French language, is there any way you can get the French channel without having to order the package with 200 television channels that you'll never watch?

I am going to give this sling TV a shot (pun intended)  .. what eyephone suggested .. and see if it works out

My_Alter_Ego said:
HMart said:
eyephone said:
Another spin to the story. Maybe the IPD should hire more Asian speaking officers.

I?m not suprised that this happened. OR Maybe Cox should have a Chinese speaking rep if most of the customers speak Chinese. (Just saying)

I really don?t care, because I don?t have cable or satellite.
#cutthecord

Given that Woodbury is the closest (operating) shopping center to the Great Park, and the Great Park houses have sold so well to foreign Chinese buyers, it would indeed make sense for all the stores over there to have at least 1 Mandarin speaking staff.

On the other hand, I wonder what kind of effort the citizens of Irvine can do to welcome and help integrate new immigrants. Maybe some kind of organized lunch, block party, etc for people to get to know their neighbors. Unfamiliarity and loneliness are breeding grounds for suspicion and misunderstanding. I know it's fun to make fun of ignorant mainlanders but probably not very useful for the future of Irvine.

The effort should primarily fall on those that don't speak the language of this country.  Learn the language.  Foreigners CHOSE to live in the US...then learn how to speak English.  Why are DMV written tests also administered in Korean, Chinese and Spanish?  If you can't read the road signs, then you don't deserve a license.

I agree, the effort should (and does) fall on recent immigrants to integrate. I am suggesting that we can build bridges to increase understanding and assimilation. Guess what, some culture will also flow the other way too. And that's OK.

fortune11 said:
Loco_local said:

I am going to give this sling TV a shot (pun intended)  .. what eyephone suggested .. and see if it works out

Sling is owned by DirectTV so it's not really like you're sticking it to big corporations.

Having said that I have been a Sling user for a few months (AMEX had an offers deal) and really enjoy the Cloud DVR function. Obviously the drawback is that it uses your cable data and you may need to upgrade your cable internet if you have the basic package, or else your family members will be in for some slow internet while you're streaming.

I also suspect Cox will de-prioritize Sling data in the future now that Net Neutrality has been...neutered.

The young couples' actions were not too wise, but that Cox store is also full of really unhelpful and flat out rude employees.

Cox is also a very shady company that likes to increase their fees without notifying their customers.  I once inquired about this practice of theirs and the answer I got from an employee at this Woodbury office location was "that's our policy"...

HMart said:
Sling is owned by DirectTV so it's not really like you're sticking it to big corporations.

Actually, Dish Network owns Sling. DirecTV has their own streaming service (DirecTV Now) so that wouldn't make sense for them to own Sling.

Having said that I have been a Sling user for a few months (AMEX had an offers deal) and really enjoy the Cloud DVR function. Obviously the drawback is that it uses your cable data and you may need to upgrade your cable internet if you have the basic package, or else your family members will be in for some slow internet while you're streaming.

I also suspect Cox will de-prioritize Sling data in the future now that Net Neutrality has been...neutered.

We tested a few streaming services before we decided to cut Cox and go with DirecTV satellite. Based on the reviews and our own usage, we found YouTube TV to be the best because of its integration with Chromecast and Google Home and the unlimited DVR (all others streaming services either charge extra, are limited in space or even duration). But, YTTV has a limited number of channels, HGTV being one we watch quite a bit. For best channel selection, DirecTV Now has the most variety (they have 3-4 packages) and with free HBO and discounts for AT&T customers, is probably the best deal. They will be adding DVR in the Spring but I think it will be limited by number of hours which is a downer.

I'm sure that after a year or two, DirecTV satellite will be close to $100/mo (only paying $25/mo now) but that's still cheaper than the $180 we were paying just for cable TV on Cox. And by then, streaming will probably have better options/pricing (and of course Cox will start charging $200/mo for Internet).

Back