Cox vs U-verse

Silver_fox

Hello Dear members, can you please share your experience, thinking to choose between COX vs U-verse for our new home. At our location max ATT U-verse speed available is 24 Meg.
According to ATT, its fiber optics, and really fast, and gives you 24 Meg all the time unlike COX cable.

Thanks

Silver_fox said:
Hello Dear members, can you please share your experience, thinking to choose between COX vs U-verse for our new home. At our location max ATT U-verse speed available is 24 Meg.
According to ATT, its fiber optics, and really fast, and gives you 24 Meg all the time unlike COX cable.

Thanks

yes another thread.. but it's BS.  Plus Cox now gives you faster options.. they will be doubling everyone's speeds.

irvinehomeowner said:
Qwerty's Cox is faster.

#ThatsWhatTheySay

It's faster because the cable  used to deliver all that happiness and satisfaction is wider and longer than every other home in the neighborhood :)

Cox for high speed internet, can't beat the speed and reliability. As for tv, I'm close to switching to uverse. I'm on my 5th contour dvr box, total POS.  Lots of software and hardware issues. Just google for cox contour freezes.

Cox if you want fast and reliable. Uverse if you're on food stamps and want anything above dialup AOL.

UVERSE has better TV (and cheaper), while Cox has the faster internet.  My current setup is as such.  Never had satellite, don't like the 2 year contract and never looked into the price breakdown.  Assume satellite is more expensive than UVERSE. 

Definitely DirecTV for TV if OTA Antenna isn't good enough. They have better sports packages and far better DVR's.

Direct TV has bad customer service.  Had so many problems with their dish breaking down and they always try to charge me to send a technician out.  Never paid, but a hassle to call it in to argue.  Plus they have a 2 year agreement.

Cox always will increase your price after 6 months or a 1 year.  But that is probably true of any service provider.

Uverse TV I have never tried.  Is it cheaper for basic channels?

shadyoc said:
Direct TV has bad customer service.  Had so many problems with their dish breaking down and they always try to charge me to send a technician out.  Never paid, but a hassle to call it in to argue.  Plus they have a 2 year agreement.

Cox always will increase your price after 6 months or a 1 year.  But that is probably true of any service provider.

Uverse TV I have never tried.  Is it cheaper for basic channels?

never had issues with my direct TV (knock on wood).  It's cheaper because the first year fees are half of what cable is.. so that in savings right there is worth it.. then you can just switch out if needed.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, for direct tv 2yr contracts you get the discount the first year then it expires and you have
To pay regular price the last year of contract?

ps9 said:
Correct me if I'm mistaken, for direct tv 2yr contracts you get the discount the first year then it expires and you have

that's correct.  So you have to average that all together.  The cost savings is still very good.. plus right now I think you still get that $200 gift card from Costco. 

that second year I'm paying the same as cable.  So the first year of savings is worth it already. 

jmoney74 said:
ps9 said:

that's correct.  So you have to average that all together.  The cost savings is still very good.. plus right now I think you still get that $200 gift card from Costco. 

that second year I'm paying the same as cable.  So the first year of savings is worth it already. 

What happens in year 3? Are you just back to the usual cox dance? Call every few months and try to get a promo?

yup.. the pricing is on par at that point.  You can just cancel and put it under your spouse's name.  ;)

I'm not sure if DirecTV and/or DISH is that much cheaper than Cox Digital/Contour TV.

For Advanced Contour TV w/HBO, Phone and Internet I pay $161. Let's say Phone is $20 and Internet is $60 (they are running a special on Preferred 100mb right now). So I'm paying about $80 for 3 boxes, 220+ channels and HBO.

If I do the comparison with DISH or DirectTV, for 3 boxes, 200+ channels and HBO, I'll pay $80-90 depending on the credits (and that's just for the first year, it goes up after that). I'll pay this same price on Cox for 2 years.

So it's really a wash, and at least with cable, I can get basic signal from any outlet so I don't need a box for every room and I only have to deal with 1 vendor. It's more convenient for me (and for those of you who *need* monitored alarm systems, Cox does that too).

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm not sure if DirecTV and/or DISH is that much cheaper than Cox Digital/Contour TV.

For Advanced Contour TV w/HBO, Phone and Internet I pay $161. Let's say Phone is $20 and Internet is $60 (they are running a special on Preferred 100mb right now). So I'm paying about $80 for 3 boxes, 220+ channels and HBO.

If I do the comparison with DISH or DirectTV, for 3 boxes, 200+ channels and HBO, I'll pay $80-90 depending on the credits (and that's just for the first year, it goes up after that). I'll pay this same price on Cox for 2 years.

So it's really a wash, and at least with cable, I can get basic signal from any outlet so I don't need a box for every room and I only have to deal with 1 vendor. It's more convenient for me (and for those of you who *need* monitored alarm systems, Cox does that too).

I thought you don't believe in home alarm system.

Back