COX v. UVERSE

IHO - direct tv will operate kind of as a standalone company got several years in terms of pricing etc. - part of the plan to get regulators to approve the deal. Why does it matter if they are part of att?  The signal is always on and I never have any issues with the hardware that u mention with contour

@qwerwhitey:

Well, it's more that I like DISH's hardware/features better ("Hoppaaah!").

I abhor ATT with a passion, so if I could avoid anything related to them, I will.

On another note, with any of these providers, they give you access to the mobile apps and it's awesome.

I've been using WatchTNT to watch the OKC/SA games because usually that's during dinner time and we are out somewhere. LTE is prime time, streams with zero stutter, like watching live TV.

Wow thanks for the info, that seems like a really good deal - how long are they giving you that rate for?  Also, it shows 104.24 for total bill at the top, is that because you have services in addition to the ~$76 for tv/internet?

I'm currently in the 2nd year of a 2 year deal that has TV+internet for ~$105.

thatOSguy said:
Smashed said:
Wow thanks for the info, that seems like a really good deal - how long are they giving you that rate for?  Also, it shows 104.24 for total bill at the top, is that because you have services in addition to the ~$76 for tv/internet?

I'm currently in the 2nd year of a 2 year deal that has TV+internet for ~$105.

They offered it no contract for 12 months. I have never failed to renew "promotional" pricing; it's really simple, just fearlessly proceed with going without the add-on. Two escalations later, you'll get it for one more year.

The $104 bill is because of a one time $25 install fee.

For some reason...the install fee really annoys me.  I kinda of get it if someone actually comes out to your house to set up stuff but most of time it's just someone turning on a switch.  It's like airlines that still charge a change fee when all they do is hit a few keys on the keyboard.

The current UVERSE promotion seems to be a good deal, $59 + $7 monthly rental = $66 monthly plus a $200 prepaid card, which includes U-family with 1 DVR, and Max Plux 18Mbps internet for a 12 months contract (see attached).

Anyone has a better deal than this? I currently have standard DSL and will likely go with UVERSE after I move.

I'm also not too thrilled about the monthly rental, but from my limited study there doesn't seem to be ways to get around it, at least for now.

Attachments

• uverse.png
    uverse.png
    254.1 KB · Views: 171
irvinehomeowner said:
Depending on how much you use Internet, I would go with Cox for Internet.

18Mbps is like AOL dial-up. :)

Cox is expensive though...internet alone is like $62 for 25Mbps ($49 for only the first 3 months...not really a deal). I don't really watch TV that much, right now I have only 6Mbps DSL with no TV subscription, with kid watching Netflix some of the time. I guess as long as I don't stream 1080p HD (forget about 4k...) then I should be fine.

I guess my other question for existing UVERSE users, are you getting anywhere close to the quoted speed? Is new community (Stonegate in this case I'm asking) going to be on FTTP, where distance to the box should not be a factor? How about reliability?

i have the premier service and i just checked my bill and i pay 63.99 - i need to call back and get the OS special. the taxes are crazy that they charge on the phone. the basic phone is like $20 and they charge like $8 in damn taxes.

I've had both and never noticed a huge different service wise.  What I love about ATT is the wireless cable box.  We installed a TV over our closet and it was great not having to worry about pulling cable wires all over the place.

thatOSguy said:
qwerty said:
i have the premier service and i just checked my bill and i pay 63.99 - i need to call back and get the OS special. the taxes are crazy that they charge on the phone. the basic phone is like $20 and they charge like $8 in damn taxes.

PM me if you want my account number and reference me as your cousin.
It wouldn't be lying... everyone is qwerchete's cousin, he's Native MexiCasian.

c4 said:
I guess my other question for existing UVERSE users, are you getting anywhere close to the quoted speed? Is new community (Stonegate in this case I'm asking) going to be on FTTP, where distance to the box should not be a factor? How about reliability?

I had UVerse Max Plus and thought it was slow.  When I ran the speed tests I was getting about 2/3s the claimed 18Mbps download.  The upload speeds were horrible.  I need at least 2Mbps to stream my cameras.  Going for Cox the next go around for sure.  Wished we had FIOS in this area.

Back