Cox monopoly in Irvine

octrends said:
when it will be over or will it? why cox is the only provider in Irvine?  :mad:
It's Cox or nothing for cable service.  That's why I have Direct TV for my TV service needs. 

The availability of satellite and AT&T U-verse somewhat obfuscates the "monopoly" that Cox has. Since there are at least 2 other sources you can get television signal from, I don't think there will be any push for other providers.

I think the big problem is the alternative sources require boxes at each outlet, that is the one advantage Cox has over them, you can hook a TV directly up to an outlet and get service. I would like to see another cable provider in Irvine but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

It could be worse. Be thankful we're not in Time Warner land and their horrible cable service and usage caps.    As far as high speed internet, we've been pretty satisfied with our service, although I would also loved to have FIOS service.

shokunin said:
It could be worse. Be thankful we're not in Time Warner land and their horrible cable service and usage caps.    As far as high speed internet, we've been pretty satisfied with our service, although I would also loved to have FIOS service.
I actually really like my Cox cable internet.  I think it's only been down like a handful of times in the years that I've lived in Irvine and it's super fast.  I do prefer Direct TV to the Cox cable service.

USCTrojanCPA said:
shokunin said:
I actually really like my Cox cable internet.  I think it's only been down like a handful of times in the years that I've lived in Irvine and it's super fast.  I do prefer Direct TV to the Cox cable service.

That's our setup too.  DirecTV for cable and Cox for internet.

I'm in time warner land and I confirm that it sucks.  ISPs basically have monopolies on their areas of So-Cal -- TV at least you have SOME options although nothing is ideal IMO.  Internet you are basically screwed.    We were looking into getting tv service earlier this year and it is sooooo flippin expensive for the few times a year that we might want a sports game or a news program (like we would have liked to watch some of hte debates during the last election).    For the world cup final, we just went to a bar to watch it.  And then we get all our tv and movies through the internet and netflix.

There USED to be an other companies but they slowly collapsed and then got bought up by cox (it was called sky...park? Something).

I'm telling ya, in the LA area, antenna is the way to go.  you get real HD (as opposed to cable degraded signal) and in addition to the networks and independents, you get 10 PBS stations.

I've asked this before but does anyone get HD NBC on Cox without the cable box (plugged in directly to cable)?

It's channel 4.1 or 4-1 on most HDTVs and I can't get it at all. I can get all the other HD channels except that one. I've called and visited Cox and they claim they don't guarantee HD signals without the box but I've read that they have to guarantee the same signals that you can get over the air.

irvinehomeowner said:
I've asked this before but does anyone get HD NBC on Cox without the cable box (plugged in directly to cable)?

It's channel 4.1 or 4-1 on most HDTVs and I can't get it at all. I can get all the other HD channels except that one. I've called and visited Cox and they claim they don't guarantee HD signals without the box but I've read that they have to guarantee the same signals that you can get over the air.

I didn't know you could get HD channels through the cable line without a box?

irvinehomeowner said:

yes, i do get NBC HD on 4.1

Back