Could Irvine turn into the Beverly Hills of Orange County?

[quote author="awgee" date=1242782168][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242779569]

The only blond head in my classes were if one of the Vietnamese guys was experimenting with Sun-In to see if it would get him a date with an Econ girl.

"B?n mu?n ?i ch?i v?i t?i, Buffy?"</blockquote>That is cool. How do you do that?</blockquote>
Hit on blond girls or speak vietnamese on the Internet?

1. I've never hit on a blond girl... they hit on me. </tenmagnet answer>

2. Google Translator.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242801215][quote author="awgee" date=1242782168][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242779569]

The only blond head in my classes were if one of the Vietnamese guys was experimenting with Sun-In to see if it would get him a date with an Econ girl.

"B?n mu?n ?i ch?i v?i t?i, Buffy?"</blockquote>That is cool. How do you do that?</blockquote>

2. Google Translator.</blockquote>

I am too married to care about blond girls.

Speak Viet on the internet. How cool.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242801215][quote author="awgee" date=1242782168][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242779569]

Blondes are overrated...the dark haired girls are the bomb diggity!

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242795214]

I am just shit surprised to see a bunch of men sitting around typing about ladies hand bags. LOL Who woulda thought?</blockquote>

Okay, that made me laugh.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote author="awgee" date=1242802419][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242801215][quote author="awgee" date=1242782168][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242779569]

I am too married to care about blond girls.

Speak Viet on the internet. How cool.</blockquote>
You've been married for far too long. =p

[quote author="awgee" date=1242800613][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242795214]

Wait a minute... hold the phone. This is the IRVINE Housing Forum.... so if you think Irvine real estate is such crap,

</blockquote>
Where did I say I thought Irvine real estate was such crap?

then why do you spend so much time keeping track of it?

</blockquote>
So much time? How much time are we talking about? Keeping track of it? You mean writing on this blog? I am not so sure I keep track of any Irvine real estate, although I do read about it here and other places.

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242795214] I am honestly confused.

</blockquote>
Maybe it is because you are making unfounded assumptions.

I blog at the Irvine Housing Blog because I like real estate and the IHB has some of the most interesting bloggers; ditto Calculated Risk.

I admit that I am usually the last person to know what is going on....

</blockquote>
I am right behind you in line.

so are you telling me the purpose of creating an Irvine Housing Forum is so that we can all come together and trash on it?

</blockquote>
Who is trashing the Irvine Housing Forum? And who was talking about creating the IHF? Or the purpose of it? I did not create it, so I could not deign to propound on the purpose of it's creation.

I think BK and some others were speaking of some folks overwhelming desire to purchase in Irvine because of the status they perceive their choice of residence will bring to them, and I was snarking about said perception. Seems fair to me. Status hunger seems like a good target to me. You disagree?

I also have no clue what an LV bag is - like I said, last to know...

</blockquote>
I asked my wife. It means Louis Vitton, (sp?).

I am just shit surprised to see a bunch of men sitting around typing about ladies hand bags. LOL Who woulda thought?</blockquote>
Well, why do you not tell us more about yourself, and we will type about you?</blockquote>

Hahahaha... Very funny... Hahahah... Very funny..... :)

[quote author="caycifish" date=1242802911][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242795214]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:</blockquote>

BK, I knew you and I were starting to cross the line of absolute weirdness.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1242803814][quote author="caycifish" date=1242802911][quote author="gypsyuma" date=1242795214]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:</blockquote>

BK, I knew you and I were starting to cross the line of absolute weirdness.</blockquote>

No. We are different. You ask wierd questions and I just provide weird trivias.

Absolutely we need to talk about ladies handbags. CK learned this secret fast and his Taiwanese wife and parent in-laws love him to death. He even learned to wrestle for the restaurant bill among his Chinese relatives. He is way more than the Dim sum custard buns. He is completely yellow on the inside but white outside.

Here is another trivia: Asian women prefer rounded toe heels over pointed toe heels. Regardless of age they still like over priced Hello Kitty collectibles.

Women and especially Asians are the one making the glamorous decision of which the homes to buy and the husbands are there just to validate them. The men do the grunt work like shopping for financing and worry about the numbers.

[quote author="irvine_grad" date=1242778118][quote author="C Delroy Spuckler" date=1242766942][quote author="graphrix" date=1242744962]Here is what I have gained from this thread so far:

1. BK is a racist bastard, but we know this. Even if it is what he does for a living, you know... demographic research, and gets paid for it.

</blockquote>

So can someone please enlighten me, rather than laughing at me.

Is BK what is referred to on many internet circles as a troll?

How does doing demographic research for a living make it acceptable for someone to make broad generalizations about a race, and generalizations which as I mentioned, I believe to be wrong. If he does research for a living, I would be curious to hear what percentage of Irvine Asians are in fact engineers, or which ones might be small business owners. I won't ask him to dig up their college transcripts to tell me which ones are smart or carry LV bags. ;) (BTW, those LV bags, are most likely fake... not real... you don't have to go to China or Mexico to get cheap fakes. Finding a knockoff bag retailer in SoCal is not difficult)

Delroy "AKA the noob"</blockquote>

I'm Asian (ABC-I'm guessing, you are too). At first I was horrified because of what I perceived as stereotypes flying around here from BK (and others). Then I learned to accept the fact that what he is saying has merit. He DOES do this for a living and he DOES know his demographic. Doing demographic research for a living allows him to generalize-it's what he is paid to do. He generalizes so that he can plan business developments/home developments/5-car-frontal-garage-houses for a large number of people. From what I can tell he isn't talking badly about Asians, merely stating facts from his experience/observation. I don't think I've ever seen a BK post with malice behind it. Some of the jokes flying around here get a bit <em>borderline </em>but welcome to IHB/The Internets.

But hey what do I know. My family reads like a chapter out of BK's book of Asians...6-7 Engineers, 6-7 doctors, and a sis that loves (real) LV bags.</blockquote>

Mr Delroy is not Asian at all. His handle in a dead give away. The Simpsons has the least Asian market audience. Mr. Delroy is Caucasian and more than likely will display a flag in the front of his home Memorial Day. Another clue is that Chinese children rarely wreck the interior of the home because parents only allowed passive activities such as piano practice, reading, video games, and doing home works and never to be allowed to throw a ball or other sport activities inside the house.

Ms. Delroy has been a homemaker for a long time and possibly since both older son and daughter were born. Her role was to nurture them while Mr. Delroy was the bread winner the last several decades. Ms Delroy has complained about her kitchen for years such as lacking an island, linoleum floor, ceramic tile countertop with stained grout that is hard to clean. Mr. Delroy has always used the kids as an excuse for not doing the remodel.

Their home is likely not in Irvine but in Santiago Hills. Mrs. Delroy at this point of her life is looking forward to their grown children getting married and her home would be the gathering place for the future son and daughter in-laws. Her goal of starting the kitchen remodel first is the reason why Mr. Delroy needs a large sum of cash because it is the most expensive remodel for the home. She wanted the kitchen island where she can finally adequately prepares and displays her food and family could gather around the future island transformed from her isolated peninsula servant like kitchen. She also has a goal of transforming her home into the grand-ma?s house where children and grand children want to be during the holidays. She wanted her kitchen and the entertaining area to be warm and inviting. She is also concerned her existing brick floor would not be good for her future grand children due to the bricks sharp edges.

Mr. Delroy?s is at the end of his line after years of Mrs.Delroy?s request for renovation. She presented to him the remodel would not only benefit their empty nester lifestyle but also create the beginning of their new life keeping in mind the best interest of her children and future grand children.

She could not let go her sentimental memories of this home where the children were raised and this was the reason why Mr. Delroy could not have sold it and made money during the frenzy RE era. They also knew that as empty nesters they would not need the current footage size but they want to set aside the extra bedrooms for the future expanded families when they come and visit and it would be a good hospitality.

Certainly they do not want the future married couples to sleep in the same room where the kids grew up so the remodel includes a makeover of the kids? room into a more sophisticated resort like room with a nice sense of hospitality.

Mr. Delroy sent his son to UCLA for an engineering degree and also sent his daughter to USC. Their decision of USC for their daughter is a better opportunities to meet a future husband that come from a wealthy and good family background. USC is known as a school for wealthy kids.

Their home built in the early 80?s has many dated design, texture, and windows. They are hoping to update the plan and promote a better flow of the kitchen to the rest of the family spaces. They are however somewhat stuck the formal living dining room that seldom get used and the idea of entertaining with future in-laws and grandchildren revitalized the seldomly use space.

After assessing the need of moving their current home is still the best fit for their future entertaining needs and Mr. Delroy is really nervous to embark on the nightmare of remodeling so he came to IHB to seek suggestions and validation.

Mrs. Delroy does not really care about the financial logistic she just wanted her home makeovers now the kids are grown and out of the house. She spent her entire marriage life as a stay home mom taking care of her family this is her reward. Mr. Delroy is cornered.

Mr. Delroy is not familiar with the Irvine Asian crowd and has no close Asian friends. His knowledge of Asian culture is through the TV news and driving up to USC passing by the black ghettos with Korean immigrant shop owners. He also is familiar with the Korea town in Garden Grove and Little Saigon after living in OC all these years but he really has no idea of the real Asian hub in OC such as Diamond and Culver Plaza.

Asian immigrants in America without language skills and education have no career opportunities. To make a living they resorted to operating shops and restaurants to servicing their own communities. Some also venture into the service industries like massage parlor, foot massage, and nail salons. They are not business savvy but it is their only hope. Some succeeded but many failed shortly. Asian businesses in Asian towns have the highest turn over compared to White owned businesses.

Mr. Delroy is an older guy and he is not aware of the Asian generation 40 and younger. He is from the old school with some acquaintances of the first generation Asian immigrants from 1970?s.

[quote author="CK" date=1242797578]2) I think BKShopr and Graph are the smartest guys in the room. But they seem to have a differing opinion on what the future prices of Irvine holds. Who's right? It's almost like saying which child do you love more. But since I only have one child and don't have to make that call, I'll pick BK and his $375 sq ft theory. And I'll tell you why...</blockquote>

I can't believe you would disown me just like that. Have you no heart? What did I ever do to you to make you just abandon me with the Jeffery Street Hobo? I'm hurt CK, I'm deeply hurt. You are an evil... EVIL person!

In fact... it's a sign!

http://i44.tinypic.com/21jvkwl.jpg

[quote author="CK" date=1242797578]Geez, I go away for a couple of days and you go and start a thread like this. Since everyone seems to be numbering their thoughts in this thread, I'll join the party:

1) In appears in this (and most threads on IHB) the people calling for future carange of Irvine are also those most likely to A) not live in Irvine, and B) have no desire to ever live in Irvine. They see no value in the place, and therefore why should it hold any premium to them over whichever place it is they value. Naturually us Irvine residents (even those who don't own) tend to think Irvine is a little more special, and worth a little more than surrounding communities. I'm not making a judgement on which faction is likely right or wrong, I'm just sayin that's the general trend on IHB.

2) I think BKShopr and Graph are the smartest guys in the room. But they seem to have a differing opinion on what the future prices of Irvine holds. Who's right? It's almost like saying which child do you love more. But since I only have one child and don't have to make that call, I'll pick BK and his $375 sq ft theory. And I'll tell you why...

3) Irvine has nailed its brand identity in certain circles, much like LV or BMW has. A white dude like myself does not entirely get it --- while I really like Irivne, I could easily subsitute it for Aliso Viejo or Ladera Ranch, etc if I thought I was getting more bang for my buck there. But my 1.5 generation Taiwanese wife...no way. It's Irvine or bust for her, and for her LV-lovin' friends. I'm telling you folks, we go to a parties up in SGV, they gush about Irvine like its the promised land. "Oh, you guys live in IRVINE, its so nice there"; "Oh your daughter is so lucky to grow up in IRVINE"; "Oh you should buy down there now, prices will never drop that much in IRVINE". I'm not lying. If they have young kids or are planning kids, this is the place to be, hands down. And for the most part, these folks are the same ones we see putting 50% - 100% down payments in IPO and IR2's tracking sheets.

So as much as I would love to see $250 sq ft in the more desireable parts of Irvine, I fear its not going to happen. Something has changed with the branding of Irvine in the last decade, increasing its desireabilty with the school and safety crowd. I dunno, maybe its not Irvine that changed, but the rest of So Cal that has gotten crappier over time. I asked my wife about the Irvine of 1990-94 when she went to UCI: "It was ok, but nothing special and kind of in the boonies, and no good food". Hmm. But how about her feelings on 21st century Irvine? "It's got everything NOW, and so much more diverse --- it's like its not the same place". Sounds like Mr. Bren has done a good job of rebranding this place, at least for the smartest girl I know.

And oh, for those who say that Irvine can't compete with NB....I call BS on that. Irvine is not trying to compete with NB. It's going for another affluent group with a different set of values. Many people targeting Irvine probably would not even consider NB, even if they could afford it. That's another market there.</blockquote>

How many times does Irvine Renter have to point out that desire does not equal demand. This is the fatal flaw in all these Asians-are-going-to-prop-up-Irvine-home-prices theories. We are just coming off a decade long credit binge. Funny, I don't remember Asians ,or anyone for that matter, being LV/status obsessed in the OC prior to the credit bubble(with the exception of people that were truly wealthy). Judging from the high percentage of Irvine homes in some stage of foreclosure, Asians certainly are not immune from the credit squeeze. What I want to see is some evidence that there is large enough pool of Asians with $200k plus incomes to keep up Irvine sales over a extended period. Until then I'm calling further declines in Irvine home prices.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1242812465][quote author="CK" date=1242797578]2) I think BKShopr and Graph are the smartest guys in the room. But they seem to have a differing opinion on what the future prices of Irvine holds. Who's right? It's almost like saying which child do you love more. But since I only have one child and don't have to make that call, I'll pick BK and his $375 sq ft theory. And I'll tell you why...</blockquote>

I can't believe you would disown me just like that. Have you no heart? What did I ever do to you to make you just abandon me with the Jeffery Street Hobo? I'm hurt CK, I'm deeply hurt. You are an evil... EVIL person!

In fact... it's a sign!

http://i44.tinypic.com/21jvkwl.jpg</blockquote>

No hard feeling Graph. He likes both of us and we each got 1/2 of CK's vote. His wife chose me that broke the tie breaker. CK needs my insider tips like the next hot LV item that he'll get for his wife and all his SGV relatives would be all envious, the good teacher roster list at myford, the best floor plan and value in West Irvine, and the tips for surviving Pioneer Middle School for his girl.

666 is a very evil number for a white guy but for me it is the next best number after 888.

[quote author="nefron" date=1242814884]How many of you are actually shopping for a house in Irvine and have seen the prospective buyers at the open houses?</blockquote>

There is one guy who attends all the open houses but never walk into the houses but he is always drooling in the garages.

[quote author="nefron" date=1242814884]How many of you are actually shopping for a house in Irvine and have seen the prospective buyers at the open houses?</blockquote>
We have probably been to between twenty and thirty open houses in Shady Canyon, Irvine, and the only Asian I remember seeing is Jackie Thompson, a realtor.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1242815162][quote author="nefron" date=1242814884]How many of you are actually shopping for a house in Irvine and have seen the prospective buyers at the open houses?</blockquote>

There is one guy who attends all the open houses but never walk into the houses but he is always drooling in the garages.</blockquote>
There is another guy who's in the backyard trying to figure out where to park his Camry.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1242813542]

No hard feeling Graph. He likes both of us and we each got 1/2 of CK's vote. His wife chose me that broke the tie breaker.</blockquote>

Lol -- You two really are the smartest (and funniest) in the room, and I do agree with both of you. I truly hope Graph is right about Irvine, but I fear the truth will be closer to BK. No matter, we are set regardless of how it all ends. If Graph is right we'll buy a place in Ivywood where we lease now. If BK is right we'll just move up the street to Summerplace or Wisteria. If the tin foil hat crowd is right (no, you don't even get that title Graph), it'll be brand new in Orchard Hills. Either way, it's all good, and there will be no compromise on location.

[quote author="awgee" date=1242815218][quote author="nefron" date=1242814884]How many of you are actually shopping for a house in Irvine and have seen the prospective buyers at the open houses?</blockquote>
We have probably been to between twenty and thirty open houses in Shady Canyon, Irvine, and the only Asian I remember seeing is Jackie Thompson, a realtor.</blockquote>

We must be attending different open houses in Irvine.

[quote author="nefron" date=1242817133][quote author="awgee" date=1242815218][quote author="nefron" date=1242814884]How many of you are actually shopping for a house in Irvine and have seen the prospective buyers at the open houses?</blockquote>
We have probably been to between twenty and thirty open houses in Shady Canyon, Irvine, and the only Asian I remember seeing is Jackie Thompson, a realtor.</blockquote>

We must be attending different open houses in Irvine.</blockquote>

Oh, just re-read your response....Shady Canyon? Yes, we're definitely attending different open houses :)

[quote author="awgee" date=1242733932][quote author="bkshopr" date=1242725127]During this recession LV bags have not come down in price but Asian buyers are still flocking to the stores at SCP to validate their status. In fact LV expanded to 3 separate stores inside the same mall. Unless Irvine has no novelty of status then prices should drop.

The psychological power of status is sustaining Irvine from plummeting prices.</blockquote>

My wife has no LV bags, what ever that is. She drives a 2000 Volvo station wagon. I drive a 2005 Honda minivan. She shops for our daughter's clothes at TJ Maxx or Ross or even the thrift store, yeah seriously. Etc, etc. And my guess is that she will end up with twice the home, with five times the lot size, ten times the view, twice the kitchen, etc. than most of the folks you speak of who need to live in Irvine.</blockquote>

Awgee, I have to say that I really admire you and your wife's values. Did she always have those values when you first married her or did this value grow over time? How do you not get jaded with those values when your OC neighbors and friends are constantly flashing nice cars and shopping at high-end stores? My wife also has similar values as your wife, but she doesn't care too much for Irvine homes or real estate in general. I'm mainly the one who wants the big lot, big kitchen, and whole package. Even from an investment standpoint, I've probably connected with you more than anyone else in IHB (Sorry Graphrix :) ). Do you and your wife have a heart for certain charity organizations you guys plan to serve together? You can PM me if any of the questions i am asking are too personal.

Back