Coto de Caza or Covenant Hills (Ladera Ranch)

NathanIrvine

With getting terribly disappointed in Irvine homes, I have started looking a little south.  ANy thoughts on Coto De Caza? ANy thoughts on Covenant Hills (Ladera Ranch).  It certainly seems that you get a better bang for the buck in these location?

Thanks,
Nathan

NathanIrvine said:
With getting terribly disappointed in Irvine homes, I have started looking a little south. 

Already? Wow, that was fast. I thought you just started looking. No?

NathanIrvine said:
ANy thoughts on Coto De Caza?

I just remember a person who lives in Coto telling me that the school kids there have the "I live INSIDE the gates and you live OUTSIDE the gates, Neener neener neener" attitude, which she didn't care for. Other neighborhoods may be found where there is not such a class distinction like that. 'Cause you know it's not just going to end with the kids. Adults can certainly be worse than children. I'm sure that's where they learn it from to begin with.

SoCal said:
NathanIrvine said:
ANy thoughts on Coto De Caza?

I just remember a person who lives in Coto telling me that the school kids there have the "I live INSIDE the gates and you live OUTSIDE the gates, Neener neener neener" attitude, which she didn't care for. Other neighborhoods may be found where there is not such a class distinction like that. 'Cause you know it's not just going to end with the kids. Adults can certainly be worse than children. I'm sure that's where they learn it from to begin with.

Just like the "I live .3 miles from Woodbury town center and you live .5 miles from Woodbury towncenter attitude you get in Irvine?  ;)  You can substitute Woodbury towcenter for "Jail" or "landfill".

I have a handful of colleagues that live in Coto and Ladera... I've visited them a handful of times and really love the homes there.  Only drawback for me was the distance to the freeway and work..  You do get more for your money there but you pay for it by "kind of being in the middle of no where"...

To me, anything below Irvine is San Diego..  :p

I have looked in both areas before we bought down by Dana Point.
As SoCal says, in Coto area there is some of that 'inside/outside' of the gates thing which is not a big deal to me.  It does get a bit hotter there in the summer and to get 'clubhouse' access is expensive.  The houses are beautiful there and have good sized yards.  The drive is a bit far from the freeway just like covenant hills.  There is an older part of Coto called 'The Village' if my memory serves me correctly and they are older custom homes where some of the homes have a little bit of a strange layout/features.  The cool thing is that the backyards have a more midwest feel since they are not fenced in and are all open and open up to a common land area.  It makes you feel like you have a huge open yard.

Covenant hills is also very nice and the homes behind those gates are nice and big.  When I was looking there, I was told that the sub association for Covenant hills was $500 a month in addition to the Ladera Master association dues.  Also, I was told by an agent that Ladera Ranch has a dirty little secret.  When buying or selling there is an extra fee charged to the buyers and sellers in a transaction of one half of one percent of the sales price which is paid to Ladera Ranch.  I am not sure if it was true or is still in effect.

davenlei said:
Homie said:
"kind of being in the middle of no where"...

It's all perspective.  People in L.A. probably feel the same about Irvine and the OC.

I don't remember how long it took me to get onto the freeway from Coto or Ladera...

In Irvine, it took me less than 5.

Let's use the $888,000 price point and compare:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Trabuco-Canyon/24232-Fairway-Ln-92679/home/5057701

1990's vintage home, 3 car garage with view. 2400 SF May have to hide from the golf balls. I know I could hit the house, noooo problemo.

4.25% with 25% down, it's $4,450 ( +/- ) per month.

Compared to:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/113-Lamplighter-92620/home/7201465

It's $10k more. 2200 SF. I couldn't find any $888,000 priced homes in Irvine 92620 or 92618.

$4,750 ( +/- ) due to price, HOA, and Mello Roos.

Out in Coto, you'd have to put your kids into Santa Margarita Catholic to get an education at or above most of Irvine's schools. Tesoro is a pretty good school from what I've been told. 

The Soylent family lives not far from Coto. It takes 20 min to get to most of Irvine, about a half hour to JWA. One thing you'll notice right away: there is a continuous hummmmmmmm of traffic in Irvine since you've got the 405 and 5 so close by. You'll be surprised just how quiet Coto is. That alone may be worth the drive.

My .20c

Soylent Green Is People said:
Let's use the $888,000 price point and compare:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Trabuco-Canyon/24232-Fairway-Ln-92679/home/5057701

1990's vintage home, 3 car garage with view. 2400 SF May have to hide from the golf balls. I know I could hit the house, noooo problemo.

4.25% with 25% down, it's $4,450 ( +/- ) per month.

Compared to:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/113-Lamplighter-92620/home/7201465

It's $10k more. 2200 SF. I couldn't find any $888,000 priced homes in Irvine 92620 or 92618.

$4,750 ( +/- ) due to price, HOA, and Mello Roos.

Out in Coto, you'd have to put your kids into Santa Margarita Catholic to get an education at or above most of Irvine's schools. Tesoro is a pretty good school from what I've been told. 

The Soylent family lives not far from Coto. It takes 20 min to get to most of Irvine, about a half hour to JWA. One thing you'll notice right away: there is a continuous hummmmmmmm of traffic in Irvine since you've got the 405 and 5 so close by. You'll be surprised just how quiet Coto is. That alone may be worth the drive.

My .20c

You are right about the hum.  I remember that hum living in Irvine with the windows open in summer.  In L.N. I don't hear much except crickets (literally) and a train horn in the distance when the wind is blowing right.  One thing I do hear where I live is the fog horn from Dana Point when it is foggy.

SGIP:  The one advantage for the Irvine house is that it was built in 2006 while the CDC was built in 1988..so that would have some value.

But on the other hand, the CDC house is not a motor court house.....

If you want something closer to the Irvine temps during the summer, I would stay close to or be on the west side of the 5.  Look in Aliso, Laguna Niguel, Lake Forest, etc.  Not sure how far south you are willing to Venture but Dana Point and SJC and SC are very nice too.  They don't have as much good authentic restaurants like Irvine but they do ok.

What?  Why would he move to Coto where there is nothing going on?  Although there is nothing in Calabasas either.  Maybe he wants to be closer to his buddy, Keyshawn Johnson. 

Both Calabasas and Coto are new money pretentious communities. The housewife of OC and the valley dolls of Beverly Hills are literally twins.

Back