Costa Mesa...good location gone wrong!

My next door neighbors bought their house 11 years ago and were a little leary because they weren't 100% certain which way the neighborhood was going to go. They have been pleasantly surprised that there has never been a problem and they said it hasn't really changed much at all. The sense I get is the less nice area hasn't really trended either direction.

They did have some gang problems over in the canyon area, but they made a lot of the streets where you can't drive in and out and what I've heard is that it's gotten a lot better over there in the last few years.

The east side is really nice and mesa verde is very suburban nice. There isn't anything degrading those areas. College Park is pretty nice too. The schools with the lowest scores also have large percentages of students that don't speak English, which makes teaching more difficult.

I'd like to think that someday the entire southwest will improve because Newport will always be pricier than many afford and Huntington is not an easy commute to Irvine or other job centers.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1244263062]I'm certain that Costa Mesa must have some very nice neighborhoods, but isn't unwise to live in a good area within proximity to bad ones?</blockquote>Not outside the OC.

Atherton has some of the most expensive homes in California and borders an ugly section of Redwood City flooded with old apartments and Mexican eateries. When driving east through Hancock Park, it is like another world as you enter the edges of Koreatown. Palo Alto and East Palo Alto could not be more different and border each other, though the 101 helps to split them up.

[quote author="xoneinax" date=1244265288][quote author="hs_teacher" date=1244263062]I'm certain that Costa Mesa must have some very nice neighborhoods, but isn't unwise to live in a good area within proximity to bad ones?</blockquote>Not outside the OC.

Atherton has some of the most expensive homes in California and borders an ugly section of Redwood City flooded with old apartments and Mexican eateries. When driving east through Hancock Park, it is like another world as you enter the edges of Koreatown. Palo Alto and East Palo Alto could not be more different and border each other, though the 101 helps to split them up.</blockquote>

There's a neighborhood in Riverside ("Victoria" on the maps) that is expensive, featuring larger (but older) homes on large lots that directly abuts "Eastside", which is the hood in every sense of the wood. Most of it is seperated by a golf course, which works as a natural buffer (although in theory the houses on the Eastside side of the golf course are also deserable). There is one road (Victoria Avenue) that crosses over a canyon on a bridge that connects the two areas. The houses directly north of the bridge are worth $50,000; the houses directly south of the bridge are worth $750,000, seperated by a distance of maybe five hundred to a thousand yards. It's insane.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1244263062]I'm certain that Costa Mesa must have some very nice neighborhoods, but isn't unwise to live in a good area within proximity to bad ones?

If Costa Mesa was trending up, I would want to live there. I'm just wondering if it's trending down though.</blockquote>

You're kidding right? HB is a *very* large city, and has it's fair share of nice homes bordering what many here would deem 'undesireable' neighborhoods. Hell, I used to live in the Summerlane community (nice homes, overpriced by a long shot) which bordered a bunch of low income apartments around the corner and across Bolsa near Warner. The people that hung out front (tattooed to the hilt), and the frequency of the police helicopters hovering overhead made the jet noise from planes on final approach to Long Beach enjoyable. How about the constant problems over at HyRoys on Heil and Bolsa? That's just that area I speak of. There's plenty of old homes, not desireable neighborhoods, and the so-called $1m homes that border questionable areas. There's also a bunch of older communities off of Beach blvd that have very low income and higher crime rates than other parts of HB.

People need to realize summing up HB as just Main St and the couple of million dollar home communities near the beach is very inaccurate - don't forget the vast sum of HB that borders Beach Blvd and all the older communities that stretch to the 405.

I laugh at the reference that the working class some how bring down housing values.

If anything what I'm coming to appreciate about Costa Mesa, especially the east side is the diversity. All the homes don't look the same, everyone isn't an upper class caucassion. It's refreshing.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1244187501][quote author="hs_teacher" date=1244186021][quote author="traceimage" date=1244183640]Just generally about these high school rankings. I don't know how trustworthy they are. Check out the methodology. If I'm reading correctly, 25% of the score is based on "culture and school environment," which includes stupid things like sports successes, results of the state physical fitness tests, and diversity.</blockquote>

Before I proceed, Newport Harbor is in Newport Beach, not Costa Mesa. And I know that this may sound rude, but Newport Harbor used to be higher ranked when most of its students came from Newport. But since the boundary change, the new kids from Costa Mesa is bringing down the academic average of the high school.

In my opionion, Costa Mesa has the potential to be better, rather than comparable, to Garden Grove, Westminster, Santa Ana, and Tustin because of its location.

I think if it reaches its potential, it should be on par with Huntington, Fountain Valley, and Irvine.

Newport will always be the King of the Hill though.</blockquote>

Not to be rude, but if you are a high school teacher, you should use the verb are when the subject is kids - especially if you are criticizing them for bringing down the academic average.

I'll forgive your misspelling of opinion just because my spelling sucks.</blockquote>

Darn it, you beat me to it! The irony in that sentence was fantastic!

I've read this entire thread, and very few have actually compared apples to apples. Both HB and CM have good and bad elements to them. Other elements are merely opinion.

HB Schools:

Good - Edison, Marina, HBHS. (Feeder schools into Marina can be hit or miss though)

Bad - Oceanview

CM Schools:

Good - Newport Harbor

Bad - Estancia, CMHS

HB Areas:

Good - downtown, southeast (Edison district), northwest (92649, some pockets near Marina)

Bad - northeast (slater slums), other pockets around Marina

CM Areas:

Good - East CM: east of 55, but more specifically east of Orange st; Mesa Verde (some pockets)

Bad - West CM: specifically off of Victoria St and also around Estancia; Mesa Verde (other pockets)

My wife and I are wanting to buy into either southeast HB or East CM. They both have pro's and con's to us. East CM homes typically have larger lots and more character. Sadly, those houses are a bit more expensive than the less character, smaller lot equivalents in south HB.

As for the trash in downtown HB- yes they exist, but mostly between June and August. When its not hot inland, its very mellow and lots of locals.

Since when is Mesa Verde is Costa Mesa a bad neighborhood?

I grew up in Costa Mesa (westside) and it is actually better than it was 30 years ago. All I can say about this entire thread is that if someone really likes Irvine, they should live in Irvine. If they can't afford Irvine, then they should look for another fairly new community in South OC. Anyone who really loves everything about Irvine will always find things to complain about when it comes to older cities. Keep in mind that cities like Costa Mesa were around when Orange County was in it's infancy. My grandparents moved from Santa Ana to Costa Mesa when they got married in the 1930's. There was nothing there. My grandfather built his house on a 1/2 acre lot that he bought for $50 (and had to finance). There wasn't a grand master plan for builders at the time, so no, the city may not feel organized and designed the way other newer cities are. To expect that the entire city would be pristine, new and updated really shows a lack of understanding of how communities and counties evolve. I think the title of this thread is entirely narrow minded, I'm not sure what that says about the author, I'll leave that to him or her.

The eclectic result of a city that went through phases of evolution often is more interesting and seeing how each entity has its own identity. Newer developments in both retail and residential are trying emulate the idea of neighborhoods and shops like The Groves that evolved over time like Old Town Pasadena. While TIC is very consistent in its Mediterranean palette. Competitions such as Legacy and VOC are taking an eclectic approach that are interesting and surprising with colors, forms, materials and textures other than just stucco.

Especially in retail where consumers are looking for unique landmark gathering spaces and experience. Legacy is one huge competition to TIC's empire. It offers somethings to all different types of consumers.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1244534886]The eclectic result of a city that went through phases of evolution often is more interesting and seeing how each entity has its own identity. Newer developments in both retail and residential are trying emulate the idea of neighborhoods and shops like The Groves that evolved over time like Old Town Pasadena. While TIC is very consistent in its Mediterranean palette. Competitions such as Legacy and VOC are taking an eclectic approach that are interesting and surprising with colors, forms, materials and textures other than just stucco.

Especially in retail where consumers are looking for unique landmark gathering spaces and experience. Legacy is one huge competition to TIC's empire. It offers somethings to all different types of consumers.</blockquote>

What is Legacy?

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1244546275]What is Legacy?</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.tustinlegacy.com/">Tustin Legacy is the Shea development on the old Tustin air base</a>.

[quote author="tmare" date=1244349369]Since when is Mesa Verde is Costa Mesa a bad neighborhood?

I grew up in Costa Mesa (westside) and it is actually better than it was 30 years ago. All I can say about this entire thread is that if someone really likes Irvine, they should live in Irvine. If they can't afford Irvine, then they should look for another fairly new community in South OC. Anyone who really loves everything about Irvine will always find things to complain about when it comes to older cities. Keep in mind that cities like Costa Mesa were around when Orange County was in it's infancy. My grandparents moved from Santa Ana to Costa Mesa when they got married in the 1930's. There was nothing there. My grandfather built his house on a 1/2 acre lot that he bought for $50 (and had to finance). There wasn't a grand master plan for builders at the time, so no, the city may not feel organized and designed the way other newer cities are. To expect that the entire city would be pristine, new and updated really shows a lack of understanding of how communities and counties evolve. I think the title of this thread is entirely narrow minded, I'm not sure what that says about the author, I'll leave that to him or her.</blockquote>

Personally, I care more about the people that inhabit a city over the physical appearances of the houses. I like neighborhoods where parents work hard while kids are respectful and ambitious. Oftentimes, the quality of a school reflects the culture of the community. Cities like Santa Ana, Anaheim, and Garden Grove are notorious for having underperforming schools - often due to poor family backgrounds. Whereas Irvine, Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, and Newport have high quality schools.

Costa Mesa borders Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, and Irvine - so I would think it would have similar quality schools - but it doesn't.

And in terms of coastal locations, there are 4 cities that I am interested in - HB, FV, CM, and NB.

HB has many good qualities, but may be far from the freeways.

FV has many good qualities and is close to the freeway.

CM is ideally located, but lacks the good schools.

NB is something I don't ever expect to afford in this lifetime.

Realistically, I think I might just settle down in Westminster due to its affordability.

hs teacher - you don't seem to get it. Costa Mesa has very good schools, if you can buy a house in the right neighborhood. If you live on the East-side, the schools feeding into Newport Harbor High are all top notch, and you get to maintain your central location with a cool neighborhood vibe. Westminster is fine and all, but it does not compare to Eastside C.M.

i still chuckle when i notice there's rarely a post by HS that doesn't mention FV.

best neighborhoods? newport beach, irvine, fountain valley

best schools? uni, san marino, harvard westlake, exeter, philips, fountain valley

most historic cities? paris, rome, athens, babylon, fountain valley

best american presidents? lincoln, washington, fountain valley

[quote author="Maltese" date=1244704714]If you live on the East-side, the schools feeding into Newport Harbor High are all top notch</blockquote>But Newport Harbor HS itself is not a very good school, ranking just 36th out of 63 in OC Register article

[quote author="xoneinax" date=1244771321][quote author="Maltese" date=1244704714]If you live on the East-side, the schools feeding into Newport Harbor High are all top notch</blockquote>But Newport Harbor HS itself is not a very good school, ranking just 36th out of 63 in OC Register article</blockquote>

Too many of those damn white people. They drive down the scores, and there goes the property values along with them!

[quote author="acpme" date=1244769041]i still chuckle when i notice there's rarely a post by HS that doesn't mention FV.

best schools? uni, san marino, harvard westlake, exeter, philips, fountain valley

best american presidents? lincoln, washington, fountain valley</blockquote>

Speaking of which, Fountain Valley has a festival at Mile Square Park this weekend. :)

I just really like coastal cities (Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Foutain Valley, Costa Mesa, & Newport Beach) with good schools.

To think about it some more, if I can afford to buy a house in any of those cities, I would.

Actually, I can see myself living in HB, FV, or CM within the next couple of years.

Is Fountain Valley a coastal city ? Is Westminster ? I suppose they are relatively coastal and do get a coastal breeze somewhat regularly.

MidWay City gets a coastal breeze as well.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1244790012][quote author="acpme" date=1244769041]i still chuckle when i notice there's rarely a post by HS that doesn't mention FV.

best american presidents? lincoln, washington, fountain valley</blockquote>

Speaking of which, Fountain Valley has a festival at Mile Square Park this weekend. :)

I just really like coastal cities (Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Foutain Valley, Costa Mesa, & Newport Beach) with good schools.

To think about it some more, if I can afford to buy a house in any of those cities, I would.

Actually, I can see myself living in HB, FV, or CM within the next couple of years.</blockquote>

I lived in FV, CM and HB for a sum total of 34 years. It's funny how I never realized how bare and open FV and HB are. Every time I go back, I am struck by the lack of mature trees. Living in an older neighborhood with mature trees really changes your perspective. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it just feels so different to me now.

whats sad is when i look around some of the newer (read: denser) irvine villages, i know none of those neighborhoods will ever have beautiful, full mature trees. our hoa has already begun removing trees after just 4 yrs because they're completely blocking homes. we will never get to see something like driving through oak knoll drive.

[quote author="acpme" date=1244845683]whats sad is when i look around some of the newer (read: denser) irvine villages, i know none of those neighborhoods will ever have beautiful, full mature trees. our hoa has already begun removing trees after just 4 yrs because they're completely blocking homes. we will never get to see something like driving through oak knoll drive.</blockquote>

HS is Vietnamese and FV has been a vital influence during his upbringing. It is good to have people that is passionate about their root,

I like your comment about your trees and HOA allowing the function dictates over their decision. I am going to start a thread about the physical features that we see consistently in beautiful expensive and bad cheap neighborhoods.

Back