cost of tear down and rebuild in $/sqft.

penn1_IHB

I'm thinking about buying a "fixer upper" tearing it down and then rebuilding it. In this market, could some one give a guess as to how much per sq foot it would be. With flippers losing their shirts, are contractors more reasonable as a result? b/c they are probably lacking in work as well.

Depends on the level on finish and amenities that you want, whether you want to match the neighborhood, and whether there are any special considerations.

For example, if you demand a huge kitchen with two prep sinks, a range and a built in double oven, you will pay a lot more, as that will require more electrical, structural, and plumbing. Also, number of bathrooms (especially the full variety), is more important than the actual square footage of the property.

If you live in a high rent area (Corona del Mar, Newport, etc) the expectation is that you will have the above, as well as high end tile work, high-end floors, etc. Come resale, you need to have paid for it, or your resale price will be less.

if you are looking at an area that is difficult. you will pay. For example, if you have seismic considerations (Laguna Beach, you know who you are), you can spend $85k to $200K for footings.

Now, can you make some of this work for you? Yes.

My wife and I toured a new home (whose order had been canceled) around Christmas. Due to the fact that the order had canceled before the tile went in the bathrooms, the builder wanted to keep the cost of the tile work close to the bone. The builders designer picked off white (kind of a nice cream) matte Dal-Tile, and using standard Dal-Tile fittings (edgeing, corners, etc.) put together a very nice piece of work. In one shower, they had a 4"x4" field, with a 36" x 36" inset, edged, of 6"x6" rotated 45 degrees, all un standard Dal-Tile.

You can also repurpose cabinet carcasses, from one structure to another, as well as windows and doors.

If you need the type of footings desribed above, for a nominal price increase, you can have a full basement, and increase your total square footage.

I would expect that you can build for about $250 to $350 per square foot.

If you would like some ideas on maximizing value per square foot, may I recommend "A Not So Small House" ?

Don't forget to figure in demolition permits, dump fees, demolition costs and any hazardous waste disposal fees. Cities are strict on these.

This is in addition to the building costs.

Regards!

<p>thanks for the answer cdm</p>

<p>I'm looking at a house in Garden Grove on a nice 12,000 sq foot lot; in a decent neighborhood. The original house is 1700 sq feet on a raised foundation but it is so damaged that it looks like it needs to be gutted. I'm not looking to put up a McMansion but a 2000 square foot single level ranch home with updated amenities but not necessarily high-end. It would only make sense to jump onto something like this if cost for such work would be less than $150/ sq foot. Could this be possible or am I just dreaming.</p>

<p>I 've done what you are speaking of before. IMO, DON'T.</p>

<p>Save yourself the trouble and find a better house. At the bottom of this you'll be able to buy a home for less than construction costs.</p>

Oh my...the contractors. What a bunch of crooks! They would do the job half way then ask for more funds. Otherwise, they would walk. Essentially, hold you hostage.

Back