Coronavirus Recession

In and out and chick fillet are busy now with drive thru. (just with an eye estimate/guesstimate) I assume they will be even busier when doors open.

But I am not sure that smaller restaurant will make it.

I talked to an owner of a sit-down LA restaurant (not fast casual) and asked them about their current level of business and how things are going.

They are running at about 30% right now with just take out/delivery... that is actually up from only 20% business when the lockdown first happened. But, they also have much less expenses such as payroll and are able to make it so far. A 25% increase in dine-in business would help. This restaurant has a bar and entertainment on weekends so the switch to takeout/delivery only was dramatic. That's why you see many places advertising beer/wine sales for takeout because that's a good chunk of revenue for them.

I think it depends on the restaurant... I do think quite a few of the smaller ones won't make it and the chains may decide to use this to close underperforming locations.

I wonder what the drop in business is for fast food chains with drive-thrus.

Meat supply chain still in danger.

Supplies low, prices up... and this comes with increased demand because of the sheltering.

I hope the meat processing plants figure this out as I getting more worried about this because it's been very hard to get certain meat this past few weeks.

IHO - you gotta go vegetarian man, gotta get healthier to be it the best health possible to fight off the virus.  I?ve been eating a lot of fries as a result :)

qwerty said:
IHO - you gotta go vegetarian man, gotta get healthier to be it the best health possible to fight off the virus.  I?ve been eating a lot of fries as a result :)

So do you like Impossible burgers? :)

irvinehomeowner said:

Supplies low, prices up... and this comes with increased demand because of the sheltering.

I hope the meat processing plants figure this out as I getting more worried about this because it's been very hard to get certain meat this past few weeks.

Ask momo for hunting tips.

eyephone said:

Be prepare for not just small mom/pop bankruptcies. We have a lot of big box store in the line. Sears, JCPenney (JCP), Neiman Marcus, True Religion jeans and J.Crew were some of the most distressed companies prior to the outbreak.

The Irvine Co. is a privately held so, even as tenants walk, they will just leave the space empty.

I already see some location at Irvine retails closed up and not coming back.

Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Fishing is good due to hot sunny weather and lack of recent fishing pressure.  However due to restrictions you have to, um, be good at ninja craft.  Avoid local freshwater reservoir used for drinking water, I think the police helicopters are equipped with infrared senors.

It's difficult to purchase a hunting rifle now due to store restrictions and backlogged background checks (4+ weeks).  But in theory you could mail order a pellet (air) rifle and setup squirrel feeder in your backyard.  Though I wouldn't eat urban rodents unless if I was really desperate.  Cook thoroughly (frying) and serve with mushroom gravy.

momopi said:
Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Fishing is good due to hot sunny weather and lack of recent fishing pressure.  However due to restrictions you have to, um, be good at ninja craft.  Avoid local freshwater reservoir used for drinking water, I think the police helicopters are equipped with infrared senors.

It's difficult to purchase a hunting rifle now due to store restrictions and backlogged background checks (4+ weeks).  But in theory you could mail order a pellet (air) rifle and setup squirrel feeder in your backyard.  Though I wouldn't eat urban rodents unless if I was really desperate.  Cook thoroughly (frying) and serve with mushroom gravy.

Simple stock up of can goods.

momopi said:
Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Fishing is good due to hot sunny weather and lack of recent fishing pressure.  However due to restrictions you have to, um, be good at ninja craft.  Avoid local freshwater reservoir used for drinking water, I think the police helicopters are equipped :) with infrared senors.

Just don?t tell me to eat bats :)

Compressed-Village said:
momopi said:
Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Fishing is good due to hot sunny weather and lack of recent fishing pressure.  However due to restrictions you have to, um, be good at ninja craft.  Avoid local freshwater reservoir used for drinking water, I think the police helicopters are equipped :) with infrared senors.

Just don?t tell me to eat bats :)

Believe it or not, with all this covid nonsense around the world. There are still wet markets open.

freedomcm said:
Another big factor is even with 25%, those folks are very likely to be getting drinks/apps/deserts which add substantially to restaurant's bottom line.

We picked up Islands this past weekend and got a 32 oz Mai Tai to go.  That was a different experience.

irvinehomeowner said:
I don't know, but I've seen some massive drive-thru lines at In 'n' Out and Starbucks recently.

Liar Loan said:
freedomcm said:
Another big factor is even with 25%, those folks are very likely to be getting drinks/apps/deserts which add substantially to restaurant's bottom line.

We picked up Islands this past weekend and got a 32 oz Mai Tai to go.  That was a different experience.

irvinehomeowner said:
I don't know, but I've seen some massive drive-thru lines at In 'n' Out and Starbucks recently.

And Chic-Fil-A too.  All 3 of the drive-thru lines are getting longer and longer.

eyephone said:
momopi said:
Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Simple stock up of can goods.

Some people want the live action walking dead experience.  You'll find them buying 100 shares of cruise ship operator stocks so they can get $250 voucher on board as soon as the ships start running again (late Summer), disregarding the risks for deep discounts and lots of elbow room.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
qwerty said:
Let?s see how long hospitals continue to put health over the mighty dollar.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/hos...-of-dollars-per-day-in-covid-19-pandemic.html

Like everyone else, they will put money ahead of lives.

Why do you wear a mask when you go out? Take it off and go to the beach. Yo
If nothing is wrong, then no need for a mask. It is a little flu. Lol

I wear a mask for people like you. We need to protect the weak.

Naw. It is called double standard.
You preach that there is nothing wrong but you wear n95 mask and wear gloves. Come on bro.

I don?t preach that there is nothing wrong. I keep on saying the virus is here to stay and we need to deal with it, and take the necessary precautions and move forward with life.

I would prefer not to get it and if I do, so be it.

There is no guarantee a vaccine will work, there is no guarantee a treatment will become available. Are you saying we should just keep everything shut down until something is found? 

Back