Cops at OH Strada

Wobert

Earlier this evening, maybe a little before 9pm, I saw a bunch of cop cars with flashing lights at OH Strada outside the pool and several people in handcuffs. Does anyone know what happened? It's not the sort of thing you expect to see in this neighborhood.

Wobert said:
Earlier this evening, maybe a little before 9pm, I saw a bunch of cop cars with flashing lights at OH Strada outside the pool and several people in handcuffs. Does anyone know what happened? It's not the sort of thing you expect to see in this neighborhood.

pot smokers

Wobert said:

Don't panic -- It was just a presentation by the Irvine Police department --- for the families and kids -- where kids got to see the cop cars etc :)

aquabliss said:
Must be the kids from the TUSD side.

😂😂😂 oh Aqua...always something smart to say, lol! See...they should have bought on the gated side  ;)

Wonder if it was a break in/ theft related incident? I was with my friend who lives in turtle ridge today and she said there has been a lot of thefts in TR lately.  her neighbor's Mercedes was stolen from the garage while they were on vacation! That's some serious theft issues!
We're looking into an alarm and security camera system. Anyone have any good recommendations?

sky949 said:
Wobert said:

Don't panic -- It was just a presentation by the Irvine Police department --- for the families and kids -- where kids got to see the cop cars etc :)

Based on something I saw on the IPD's social media, this looks like the most likely explanation, thank you.

As for the rest of you, you guys are hilarious. I love it. Keep up the Irvine Will Ferrell legacy.

Paris said:
aquabliss said:

😂😂😂 oh Aqua...always something smart to say, lol! See...they should have bought on the gated side  ;)

Wonder if it was a break in/ theft related incident? I was with my friend who lives in turtle ridge today and she said there has been a lot of thefts in TR lately.  her neighbor's Mercedes was stolen from the garage while they were on vacation! That's some serious theft issues!
We're looking into an alarm and security camera system. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Most of them do the same thing now.  Outsource the call center and use Alarm.com for the app.  Only companies like ADT have their own.  Just get any of them.. I think a good range in price is $25-30/month. 

jmoney74 said:
Paris said:
aquabliss said:

Most of them do the same thing now.  Outsource the call center and use Alarm.com for the app.  Only companies like ADT have their own.  Just get any of them.. I think a good range in price is $25-30/month.

Can't believe am saying this, but Cox Home Security has been pretty good.  Talked to a neighbor who use to have ADT but switched because when they had issue with their security system and ADT keep on sending different third party contractor that doesn't know whats going on and takes a while to schedule technicians.  I can't imagine what more for those smaller company that outsource everything.  When we had issues, Cox is usually pretty responsive.  I guess when it comes to security, you can't really compromise because you never know when you need it.  I hate Cox though for everything else :p

Whomever you choose, please do not violate your CC&Rs and leave the silly advert/sign for the company in your front yard.

Wobert said:

They were there between 7:30 and 9 PM addressing residents at the pool. Nobody was in handcuffs but they did let the kids play with in their cars. Locals provided snacks - lemonade and juices but no boba! A few caucasians lost among asians (kind of like UCLA) in attendance. There were six officers there - all were white. Part of the national program called "National Night Out"https://natw.org/about

Happened in quite a few communities - if it didn't happen in yours, maybe the cops don't care about your neighbors. LOL

Curiously, they said Irvine was designed so that everybody could walk to their elementary school and they pleaded with residents to not drive their kids for a block or two to school. Way too much traffic. The IUSD side of Orchard Hills doesn't have an elementary school within walking distance.

Perspective said:
Whomever you choose, please do not violate your CC&Rs and leave the silly advert/sign for the company in your front yard.

The sign is half the battle

DrTravel said:
Wobert said:

They were there between 7:30 and 9 PM addressing residents at the pool....

Darn, I didn't get the invitation.

I use Simpli Safe, customer service has been good and it's affordable to put sensors on every window and every door. 

Monitoring is $20/mo and no contracts, you can use it with or without monitoring.  It also sends you a text if any sensors are tripped while alarm is active.  Also you can easily use your USB key to change/add sensors and setup which ones are active in home vs. away mode.

Battery life so far has been good - had to change the batteries in my siren once after a year and once on one of the keypads, but all the sensor batteries are going strong after 2 years of use.

The part I didn't like was the keypad appears pretty 80's but I'm over it and it's easy to use. 

Thanks Aqua, I was actually wondering about simplisafe because they've been advertising a lot. So for installation they just come and set up the sensors and system? When the alarm trips is there a big annoying alarm sound throughout the house? And do they automatically call the police or text you first?
Will have to look into simplisafe. We're also looking into the outdoor nest security cameras - I don't think those are out yet.

Paris said:
Thanks Aqua, I was actually wondering about simplisafe because they've been advertising a lot. So for installation they just come and set up the sensors and system? When the alarm trips is there a big annoying alarm sound throughout the house? And do they automatically call the police or text you first?
Will have to look into simplisafe. We're also looking into the outdoor nest security cameras - I don't think those are out yet.

So now you are looking for an alarm?

(the gate doesn't stop crim3)

Paris said:

For a camera system, check out https://blinkforhome.com/. It is a wireless camera system with great battery life, affordable and can record clips without paying for subscriptions. I've tried a variety of cameras (Foscam, Nest, DLink, Arlo, no name Chinese brands, etc.) and of all I think the best value for money is Blink, especially if you need a multi-camera setup.

eyephone said:
Paris said:

So now you are looking for an alarm?

(the gate doesn't stop crim3)

When a Mercedes Benz was stolen from a guard gated turtle ridge home just a few months ago I'm not taking any chances. We're getting a security system along with cameras everywhere. If my yard was a little bigger I would have added a pit bull to the mix  ;D

Wobert said:
DrTravel said:
Wobert said:

They were there between 7:30 and 9 PM addressing residents at the pool....

Darn, I didn't get the invitation.

Flyers were plastered throughout the community.

Back