Converting to a tankless water heater from a hot water heater

jmoney74 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I ended up buying the Noritz 9.8 GPM tankless water heater for around $1,000 shipped.  I'll have it installed along with a water softener and filteration system.

Where you getting the softener from?

A few of my clients got a water softener/reverse osmosis/whole house filter installed by So Cal Water and were very happy with the product and price ---> http://www.socalwater.com/

They got the Whole House filter which is what I'll get ---->http://www.socalwater.com/whole-house-filtration/

USCTrojanCPA said:
jmoney74 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I ended up buying the Noritz 9.8 GPM tankless water heater for around $1,000 shipped.  I'll have it installed along with a water softener and filteration system.

A few of my clients got a water softener/reverse osmosis/whole house filter installed by So Cal Water and were very happy with the product and price ---> http://www.socalwater.com/

They got the Whole House filter which is what I'll get ---->http://www.socalwater.com/whole-house-filtration/

What's the price on the softener installed?

How much does the install on the water heater plus the softener system cost (essentially what is your all-in cost of everything). Also, what are the longer term benefits of a softener system? Does it ultimately save / prevent maintenance costs? Are there costs to maintain the softener system (do you have to buy stuff to put in the softener...I remember my grandparents had one and they had to pour all kinds of stuff into it but that was like 15 years ago). 

USCTrojanCPA said:

Nice!

If you are putting a Reverse Osmosis filtration system under the sink (like the APEC systems via Amazon - I ordered the RO-PERM model - easy to install yourself), consider having the filtered water feed into your refrigerator using  a kit like this. I was not able to get this installed and I wish I could have.

Bullsback said:
Also, what are the longer term benefits of a softener system? Does it ultimately save / prevent maintenance costs? Are there costs to maintain the softener system (do you have to buy stuff to put in the softener...I remember my grandparents had one and they had to pour all kinds of stuff into it but that was like 15 years ago).

Benefits of soft water
- Better life/performance from appliances (d/w, washer, water heater) and fixtures due to less mineral build up
- Less mineral build up on your shower doors, dishes - easier to keep clean
- I think it reduces future maintenance costs

Drawbacks
- More of a slimy feeling when taking a shower

Maintenance
- Need to add a few bags of salt every 6 months or so to the water softener's brine tank.

Buy something like this to get a general idea of how hard your water is.

jmoney74 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
jmoney74 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

What's the price on the softener installed?

Got a quote and it's $2,800 installed for the water softener and whole house filtration system and another $400 for the reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink with a faucet onto the counter and connected to the fridge water source. 

zovall said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Nice!

If you are putting a Reverse Osmosis filtration system under the sink (like the APEC systems via Amazon - I ordered the RO-PERM model - easy to install yourself), consider having the filtered water feed into your refrigerator using  a kit like this. I was not able to get this installed and I wish I could have.

I have a value under my sink that goes to the fridge water so once they install it, I'll have filtered water/ice cubes. 

So got the tankless waterheater installed ($900 for install).  I love how I got rid of the stand and freed up more space in my garage.  Here's a picture...

irvinehomeowner said:
Don't they have salt-free water softener systems now? Does anyone know if those work well?

Not sure, but the guy who came out to give me a quote said the water isn't really salty at all.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Don't they have salt-free water softener systems now? Does anyone know if those work well?

Not sure, but the guy who came out to give me a quote said the water isn't really salty at all.
Heh... it's not if the water is salty... it's so that you don't have to add salt to the tank every x months and also so you avoid the waste.

irvinehomeowner said:

Those don't really soften the water. If you want to truly soften the water, you need to go salt based.

I got a quote for the Rayne Guardian (RG 1250) Home Water Softeners for $2595 out the door. You can also rent it for $50/mo (there may be a discount for the first 3 months), installation fee of $50 with an option to buy it within 6 months.

It should be noteworthy that IRWD may potentially ban brine discharge of water softeners or backflow from RO systems.

I ended up going with a whole house water filter in my case. It won't soften the water, but works for my needs.

irvinehomeowner said:

I used to have one. Does the job and easy to clean the orange stuff that develops. However, not as effective as a salt system but has little maintenance (once every five years).

peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Those don't really soften the water. If you want to truly soften the water, you need to go salt based.

I got a quote for the Rayne Guardian (RG 1250) Home Water Softeners for $2595 out the door. You can also rent it for $50/mo (there may be a discount for the first 3 months), installation fee of $50 with an option to buy it within 6 months.

It should be noteworthy that IRWD may potentially ban brine discharge of water softeners or backflow from RO systems.

I ended up going with a whole house water filter in my case. It won't soften the water, but works for my needs.

How does it work for your needs?

eyephone said:
peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:

- lowers chloramine levels (thus extending lifetime of copper pipes)
- filters enough gunk out to not have eczema act up
- no impact on detergent suds
- acceptable water taste on any faucet

System is a coarse pre-filter, activate charcoal main filter tank, followed by a sub-micron post-filter. Pre/post filters are paper.

peppy said:
eyephone said:
peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:

System is a coarse pre-filter, activate charcoal main filter tank, followed by a sub-micron post-filter. Pre/post filters are paper.

So if you didn't have the water softener your family member eczema will act up?

eyephone said:
peppy said:
eyephone said:
peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:

only if they are sensitive to the stuff inside hard water. 

eyephone said:
peppy said:
eyephone said:
peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Went for whole house filter and no softener and so far seems to do the trick. Also liking the fact that I can get decent drinking water out of any faucet.

Back