Congress set to expand homebuyer tax credit

renbac_IHB

Just in from Yahoo news:

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press Writer Stephen Ohlemacher, Associated Press Writer ? 2 hrs 53 mins ago

WASHINGTON ? Buying a home is about to get cheaper for a whole new crop of home buyers ? $6,500 cheaper.

First-time home buyers have been getting tax credits of up to $8,000 since January as part of the economic stimulus package enacted earlier this year. But with the program scheduled to expire at the end of November, the Senate voted Wednesday to extend and expand the tax credit to include many buyers who already own homes. The House is scheduled to vote on the bill Thursday.

Buyers who have owned their current homes at least five years would be eligible for tax credits of up to $6,500. First-time home buyers ? or anyone who hasn't owned a home in the last three years ? would still get up to $8,000. To qualify, buyers in both groups have to sign a purchase agreement by April 30, 2010, and close by June 30.

"This is probably the last extension," said Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., a former real estate executive who championed the credits.

The home buyers tax credit is one of two tax breaks totaling more than $21 billion that the Senate included in a bill extending unemployment benefits for those without a job for more than a year. The other would let companies now losing money recoup taxes they paid on profits earned in the previous five years.

"We are still in a world of economic hurt, and Congress must continue to act boldly and creatively," said Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. "With the right mix of tax breaks and investments we will get through this recession and get folks working again."

The real estate industry has been pushing to extend and expand the housing tax credit. About 1.4 million first-time homebuyers have qualified for the credit through August. The National Association of Realtors estimates that 350,000 of them would not have purchased their homes without the credit.

Extending and expanding the tax credit for home buyers is projected to cost the government about $10.8 billion in lost taxes. While the measure passed the Senate by a 98-0 vote, Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., questioned its efficiency in stimulating home sales.

"For the vast majority of cases, the home buyer tax credit amounted to a free gift since it did not affect their decision to purchase a home," Bond said. "And for the small minority of buyers whose decision was directly caused by the credit, this raises the question of whether we are subsidizing buyers who may not have been able to afford buying a home in the first place."

The credit is available for the purchase of principal homes costing $800,000 or less, meaning vacation homes are ineligible. The credit would be phased out for individuals with annual incomes above $125,000 and for joint filers with incomes above $225,000.

The credit would be extended an additional year, until June 30, 2011, for members of the military serving outside the United States for at least 90 days.

Expanding the tax credit for money-losing companies is projected to cost $10.4 billion.

The business tax break would allow money-losing companies to use current losses to offset taxable profits earned in the previous five years, giving them refunds of taxes paid in those years. Under current law, businesses with annual gross receipts of more than $15 million can claim losses back only two years.

The tax break would help industries suffering losses in 2008 or 2009, including retailers, home builders and newspapers. Congress included a scaled-back version of the tax break ? for companies with revenues of $15 million or less ? in the economic recovery package enacted in February. The new tax break would be available to companies of any size, providing a quick source of cash.

The U.S Chamber of Commerce has been a big backer of the tax break for money-losing companies.

"It frees up capital that they can use to maintain jobs and potentially even hire new people as the economy returns," said Caroline Harris, senior tax counsel for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

The tax breaks would be paid for largely by delaying a tax break for multinational companies that pay foreign taxes. It was passed in 2004 and originally was to have taken effect this year, but would now be delayed until 2018.

[quote author="renbac" date=1257476895]Just in from Yahoo news:

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press Writer Stephen Ohlemacher, Associated Press Writer ? 2 hrs 53 mins ago

WASHINGTON ? Buying a home is about to get cheaper for a whole new crop of home buyers ? $6,500 cheaper.

First-time home buyers have been getting tax credits of up to $8,000 since January as part of the economic stimulus package enacted earlier this year. But with the program scheduled to expire at the end of November, the Senate voted Wednesday to extend and expand the tax credit to include many buyers who already own homes. The House is scheduled to vote on the bill Thursday.

Buyers who have owned their current homes at least five years would be eligible for tax credits of up to $6,500. First-time home buyers ? or anyone who hasn't owned a home in the last three years ? would still get up to $8,000. To qualify, buyers in both groups have to sign a purchase agreement by April 30, 2010, and close by June 30.

"This is probably the last extension," said Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., a former real estate executive who championed the credits.

The home buyers tax credit is one of two tax breaks totaling more than $21 billion that the Senate included in a bill extending unemployment benefits for those without a job for more than a year. The other would let companies now losing money recoup taxes they paid on profits earned in the previous five years.

"We are still in a world of economic hurt, and Congress must continue to act boldly and creatively," said Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. "With the right mix of tax breaks and investments we will get through this recession and get folks working again."

The real estate industry has been pushing to extend and expand the housing tax credit. About 1.4 million first-time homebuyers have qualified for the credit through August. The National Association of Realtors estimates that 350,000 of them would not have purchased their homes without the credit.

Extending and expanding the tax credit for home buyers is projected to cost the government about $10.8 billion in lost taxes. While the measure passed the Senate by a 98-0 vote, Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., questioned its efficiency in stimulating home sales.

"For the vast majority of cases, the home buyer tax credit amounted to a free gift since it did not affect their decision to purchase a home," Bond said. "And for the small minority of buyers whose decision was directly caused by the credit, this raises the question of whether we are subsidizing buyers who may not have been able to afford buying a home in the first place."

The credit is available for the purchase of principal homes costing $800,000 or less, meaning vacation homes are ineligible. The credit would be phased out for individuals with annual incomes above $125,000 and for joint filers with incomes above $225,000.

The credit would be extended an additional year, until June 30, 2011, for members of the military serving outside the United States for at least 90 days.

Expanding the tax credit for money-losing companies is projected to cost $10.4 billion.

The business tax break would allow money-losing companies to use current losses to offset taxable profits earned in the previous five years, giving them refunds of taxes paid in those years. Under current law, businesses with annual gross receipts of more than $15 million can claim losses back only two years.

The tax break would help industries suffering losses in 2008 or 2009, including retailers, home builders and newspapers. Congress included a scaled-back version of the tax break ? for companies with revenues of $15 million or less ? in the economic recovery package enacted in February. The new tax break would be available to companies of any size, providing a quick source of cash.

The U.S Chamber of Commerce has been a big backer of the tax break for money-losing companies.

"It frees up capital that they can use to maintain jobs and potentially even hire new people as the economy returns," said Caroline Harris, senior tax counsel for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

The tax breaks would be paid for largely by delaying a tax break for multinational companies that pay foreign taxes. It was passed in 2004 and originally was to have taken effect this year, but would now be delayed until 2018.</blockquote>

It's official.

Plus, has anyone heard the new Fannie deal? You can hand your mortgage back to fannie for up to one year and rent your property at market rent, and after one year, start paying your mortgage again.

[quote author="IrvineMonkey" date=1257487181]So if I closed escrow on the 15th of October and meet the qualifications do I get the tax credit also? When did this start?</blockquote>

Are you talking about the move-up $6,500 tax credit or the extension of the home buyers $8,000 tax credit.

[quote author="IrvineMonkey" date=1257492526]$6,500 tax credit</blockquote>
I don't believe the $6,500 will be retroactive, it will only go into effect after it is signed by the President.

I am alittle bit confused about the $8000 Tax Credit when it comes to joint tenancy or tennancy in common situation. If one tenant makes over $75K, and the other tenant makes under $75K, but combined to make over $150K. Can the tenant making under $75K qualify for the full $8000 tax credit?

Does anyone know when the higher income limit exactly applies? Is the purchase date or close escrow date relevant? For example when I would buy next week but close escrow Dec 1 (or later) would the old tax break income limit or the new higher one apply?

If you close today, the new income limits will apply. If you closed yesterday... you are SOL. Man, if I closed 24 hrs ago I'd be pretty pissed. Sure, the name on the check is likely your grandkids kids, but $8k today is tough to pass up.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

I was hoping the tax credit would expire on Nov 30. If the government can extend this credit to cover 1st qtr 2010, why not just extend it until we are back at 2006 pricing? What is to stop them? Inflation? China stops buying US bonds?.

A better question to ask is:

What happens if the US government gives every citizen $1,000,000 dollars?

The $8,000 tax credit is something akin to free money......so you saw gold react to the extension news...which by the way is now priced in.

Maybe I'm missing something here. The $6500 credit is for buyers who have owned their home for at least five years. So if they already own a home, this credit would apply to a second property (probably an investment property). This pisses me off that the government if trying to entice people to once again speculate on real estate. This will not end well...and I hope it doesn't

[quote author="wheresthebeef" date=1257911152]Maybe I'm missing something here. The $6500 credit is for buyers who have owned their home for at least five years. So if they already own a home, this credit would apply to a second property (probably an investment property). This pisses me off that the government if trying to entice people to once again speculate on real estate. This will not end well...and I hope it doesn't</blockquote>

To get the credit, the house you purchase must be your new primary residence. However, for the new $6,500 move-up credit, there is no requirement that you sell your existing house. So, you can keep it as a second home, or rent it out.

[quote author="AlmostThere" date=1257579113]I am alittle bit confused about the $8000 Tax Credit when it comes to joint tenancy or tennancy in common situation. If one tenant makes over $75K, and the other tenant makes under $75K, but combined to make over $150K. Can the tenant making under $75K qualify for the full $8000 tax credit?</blockquote>

I found answer to my own question, for those unmarried people buying a house:

<span style="color: blue;">There are interesting twists. Two or more unmarried people buying a house together may be able to allocate the credit as they wish, say to the lowest earner. Taxpayers who buy this year may also claim the credit on either a 2008 or 2009 return, and those who buy in 2010 can claim the credit either in 2009 or 2010. Some people claim the credit in one year rather than another to avoid phase-outs</span>

Back