Confession: I was in junior high school with Kurt Cobain..

GraceOMalley_IHB

i lived in Aberdeen Washington from age 9 until age 13. We were without a question, some of the wealthiest people in the town. My father was a supervisor or something more at the ITT Rainier paper mill. It stunk and people died. Often. In this circumstance the executivish types didn't go on strike while the workers did. He spent a couple of years working in Port Angeles, living on the ship "the Prince George" He came home with a crap load of stories and some weird sort of random stuff.. but in the end he came home a lot of other fathers didn't.

We lived in an area called "Greyland" between Aberdeen and Westport. It sucked, it was lonely and its where I learned to love reading. It was a good 45minutes by school bus to school.. and in the 6th grade I transferred to Miller Junior High where I had my first classes with Kurt Cobain. We left for Northern Cal when I was in the second part of 7th grade. Where I was teased mercilessly for my weird clothes and bad fashion. Especially by a girl named Il Sook Choi... whose parents were moonies.

Seriously has anyone had a weirder upbringing than me? Because Im starting to think that everyone I knew was out of their minds.

Really, is there a more interesting couple than you and BK?

You might not be a Banger Sister, but we need to come up with some term to define the manner in which you have crossed paths with musicians throughout your life.

I stayed home sick from high school to mourn Kurt Cobain's death. I watched MTV for almost 24 hours straight and my mother was quite concerned about my well being. :red:

Truthfully? I've never trusted any man that I haven't known for years. Literally. BK met me during an unfortunate part of my fathers passing and I never, ever expected that Id end up with him. He was so kind, so sweet, and so generous. By generous I mean with his feelings not with his money. Back in the day (9 years ago) his mother called me a "fat gold digger" but back then, there was little or no gold to be dug. I made way more money than he did back then.Things have changed but not because of the things we have been through, more because we have just grown and changed as people.

I love him, more than that I adore him. And I will be the first person to stick up for him If I feel he's being wronged. I am nothing if not unbelievably loyal. He hasn't had an easy life and ultimately I consider him to be the best person I have ever met. EVER

Popular music was in a sort of Dark Ages before Nirvana came on the scene. I remember very well there was several years after the music of the eighties that just sucked. Think Amy Grant. My favorite album is from the MTV unplugged concert. I love his Lead Belly rendition.

I lived with my dad and he was a hippie and he became a psychologist. My mother left because she needed to find out who she was other than a wife and mother. My mother is Mexican. My dad, white.

At age 8 a doctor diagnosed me with hyper something or other. Nowadays they call it ADD or ADHD or whatever. My parents did not like the effect Ritalin had on me, so they gave me coffee. To this day I drink coffee to both wake up and calm down. My first record album was "Ina Godda Da Vida" by Iron Butterfly.

I attended 4 elementary schools, 2 of which were Catholic schools, 2 junior high schools, and 6 high schools, one of which was in Holland and one of which was a "continuation/self study" school. I did not always live with my own family. Past the age of 10, holidays were rarely spent with my family. I was skiing.

There were no rules in my house after my mom left and public school was attended. There were rarely any parents. My father was an embarrassment. When my friends would come over, he would say, "Hey, you guys wanna rap?" My parents never attended any of my races or any other event of mine, except my dad went to my high school graduation. I have never been without food, clothing, or shelter. My father always provided.

My children are being raised as differently from the way I was raised as is possible and we live in South Orange County. They consider me way too strict, protective, and involved in their lives. So be it. They can tell it to their therapist when they can pay for one.

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1254472665]

Seriously has anyone had a weirder upbringing than me? Because Im starting to think that everyone I knew was out of their minds.</blockquote>

I was left in the care of a paranoid schizophrenic a good portion of my childhood(or should I say us kids were left to care for). I'd offer stories from my childhood but I don't think anyone would believe it. Growing up with someone who is literary out of their mind, well lets just say, was an experience.

It does seem like everyone from our generation had these haphazard childhoods. The current generation is being raised the exact oposite. I'm the product of what I'll label 'the chimpanzee parents'. My kids are so tightly wrapped in bubble tape I'm afraid they won't be a product of anything.

Having to deal with super strict, controlling old-school Catholic Eastern European immigrant parents who were (still are) hard headed like concrete made me rebel. It was a good thing that my grandfather (my dad's dad) was there more often then my parents as they would be working almost 24/7 to move up in the world because that's what prevented me from rebelling too much. My grandfather taught me not to argue with my parents because it would be a waste of good energy and just to let them think they were right and ozone out when they were going off on me. If not for him, I'd probably have a lot of the bad characteristics that both of my parents have...controlling, quick tempered, judgmental, speak before they think, yelling a lot, not trusting, etc). I'm definitely a lot like my grandfather...an optimist, open minded, easy going, hate arguing/fighting, rarely raise my voice, etc.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1254480751][quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1254472665]

Seriously has anyone had a weirder upbringing than me? Because Im starting to think that everyone I knew was out of their minds.</blockquote>

I was left in the care of a paranoid schizophrenic a good portion of my childhood(or should I say us kids were left to care for). I'd offer stories from my childhood but I don't think anyone would believe it. Growing up with someone who is literary out of their mind, well lets just say, was an experience.

It does seem like everyone from our generation had these haphazard childhoods. The current generation is being raised the exact oposite. I'm the product of what I'll label 'the chimpanzee parents'. My kids are so tightly wrapped in bubble tape I'm afraid they won't be a product of anything.</blockquote>

Hilarious, yet poignant.

My last ex-girlfriend went to HS with Kurt Cobain. She was very nice, very pretty, and - after I got to know her better - also very disturbed.

One time during my high school years my mother and I were in the grocery store. As we were walking out we noticed this guy with long hair and shabby clothes. He actually looked homeless. I noticed my mother and her immediate reaction was to grab her pocketbook and hold it a bit closer to her. I looked at the guy and told her the guy didn't need her money since he was <a href="http://www.biography.com/articles/Steven-Tyler-16472561">Steven Tyler from Aerosmith</a>. :cheese: He had more money than she could ever make in a million years.

Steven Tyler lived in my hometown and I believe <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Perry_(musician)">Joe Perry </a>did as well. Steven Tyler did a lot for our community. Every year he would load up a brand new car with toys and bring it to our Community Christmas for parents who couldn't afford presents for their children. He would donate all the toys including the car (raffle item). He would also include a large cash donation. He was very involved in the community and extremely generous.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1254516002]My last ex-girlfriend went to HS with Kurt Cobain. She was very nice, very pretty, and - after I got to know her better - also very disturbed.</blockquote>

I dont know why but this statement made me LOL

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1254552202][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1254516002]My last ex-girlfriend went to HS with Kurt Cobain. She was very nice, very pretty, and - after I got to know her better - also very disturbed.</blockquote>

I dont know why but this statement made me LOL</blockquote>

This will make you laugh even more. I went to the trouble to Google her, and I think she's a yoga instructor in Red Bluff now. No, I'm not calling her. My wife will freak and I frankly don't care that much.

[quote author="Sunshine" date=1254473467]Really, is there a more interesting couple than you and BK?

You might not be a Banger Sister, but we need to come up with some term to define the manner in which you have crossed paths with musicians throughout your life.

I stayed home sick from high school to mourn Kurt Cobain's death. I watched MTV for almost 24 hours straight and my mother was quite concerned about my well being. :red:</blockquote>

Thats some commitment right there. I was living in seattle when he died, it was craziness.

Back