Concrete in the backyard...

It's time to start landscaping our backyard...

The only problem(s):

1. I can't keep plants alive

2. Our side yard is small (15 X 30)

<strong>I've decided to concrete the whole thing over </strong>and use pots and planters. Does anyone know how much a good/reputable hardscaper will charge per square foot to do this for me? I'd like to get some ballparks before I start bidding...

-OCR

OCR,

concrete the whole thing is a bad idea imo....it won't look good...you probably shouldn't have grass as it is small and adds work...I will suggest you to do some planters with design....you are talking about 450 sq ft of yard, regardless of the type of material you use, it won't kill your budget.

OCR - Have you also considered using some synthetic grass like <a href="http://www.synlawn.com/">synlawn</a>? That's what we plan to do someday when we own, though I'm still skeptical about how it would work with our pets even though it says their products are pet-friendly.

momopi: Nope. we bought in November. I guess I should change my screen to "WoodburyBuyer", but I still kinda like the name...

For what it's worth, I've got some (limited) experience with container gardening, and that's probably the route we're going to go in, so while I understand everyone's concern, I'm pretty confident of a good outcome with concrete.

Now, about pricing...anyone have any ballpark estimates?

<p>caliguy2699, we have friends in Phoenix with the synthetic lawn, and they have two large dogs. They are very happy with the product - just hose it off. If you buy top quality, you can't tell the difference. </p>

<p>OCR, I agree with Irvine123 - it may be a bad idea. I have a lot of friends with dogs, and they would want a house with a backyard - not a concrete patio (just thinking about resale value down the road). </p>

<p>Please don't add any more concrete to Irvine - it might be the straw that breaks the camel's back and make Irvine plummet into the earth. </p>

All right. You've talked me off the "concrete ledge". Here's my real issue: My wife and I don't know what to do with our side yard, we've put it off for a while, and now we need to put something in before the 120 day limit (in March). But I don't want to rush it. Most of that 4 months was in the winter and in the rainy season, so we haven't given the backyard plan much thought. And I hate spending money on things that aren't well thought out.

I'd like to spend some time back there before I put something permanent in.

So here's my challenge to the board: what's the cheapest way to "finish" the backyard so it's both usable (in other words, it's not just a dirt garden), and easily replaceable (unlike concrete...) so in the fall we can go back and put something nicer in.

-OCR

Hi OCR,

Congrats on the home purchase!

For major yard work, most associations would require you to submit the plans for approval, because there are drainage issues/requirements. Some HOA's have their own preferred contractors that you could use to get quotes, but they're usually kinda pricy. My buddy has a smaller side yard than yours and was quoted ~$20,000 for a complete makeover.

I wouldn't recommend paving the whole thing in concrete. How about those yard bricks and tile things? You could do an Amish barn-raising and invite 20-30 people from this forum to go help. Assuming the ground is already graded/leveled, it'd probably take less than 1 day to lay the bricks and tiles with many people helping.

Or, how about wooden deck covering part of the yard?

" I understand everyone's concern, I'm pretty confident of a good outcome with concrete."

I owned several homes, and did all the landscape after moving in, so I can say i am very experienced on this. There is no such a thing called "good concrete". Concrete dries depend on location, amount of sun, moisture next /under it. Discoloring, uneven color comes with terrotory, and cracking is normal after some time. Unless you are not planning to live there long, or you are ok with the issues I just mentioned, you will want to redo it after seveal years.

If all you are doing is concrete, you are not likely to find a good contractor to do it. Well, contractor matters when comes to concrete.

You can expect to pay 10 to 12 dollar a sq ft for color concrete by a landscape contractor. But that is for a regular size job between $20K to $60K. They MIGHT charge you a bit more if it is just concrete. Drive around the neighbourhood, and there are a bunch jobs going on.

<p>OakCreek - How about something like bark or rock. Cheap, easy, and you can undo it with little cost.</p>

<p>We have a dog and did sod in the side yard. Dog kept killing the grass so I tore it all out and did rubber mulch instead... Been very happy with it. Much less maintenance, looks nice, etc.</p>

<p>Slap a few plants in, some cheap ground cover like bark or mulch, a few pavers to create a wothless walkway, and voila, the HOA will sign off.</p>

<p>OCR,</p>

<p>Congratulation on your purchase in Woodbury. I have been absense for 1/2 year and you bought a house. Your description of sideyard and its dimension indicates that you bought a zero lot homes without a rear yard due to an alley garage. 15' is a generous dimension when most side yards are 10' that is a clue that your house has a five foot indentation from a 10' sideyard therefore created a 15' side courtyard. If I guessed it you are in a plan three that has french doors from the kitchen and dining that open on to this sideyard. Are you sure the dimension is not 13'?</p>

<p>Here is my recommendation since this is your active yard with strong connection to your living space that you may want to do something that has a nice visual ground texture and color that could be easily be removed if you do not like it later. Interlocking pavers is quite easy to do it yourself over sand and gravel. A concrete sub base is much more durable but it is hard to tear out later. You can get them at Home Depot. Hold the edge by fender boards and leave about 3 feet for a planter against your neighbor's 2 story zero side wall. You have to plant with shade loving plants since your house is facing East Westerly direction due to the shadow described earlier. Mulch the planter area adjacent to the garage sideyard since you do not see much of it. The sideyard adjacent to the front entry portico could be flanked with 2 shrubs and that should be enough to present.</p>

Thanks bk! I kinda like that idea. Welcome back.

FYI, a few of the STM homes are non-zero lot line, mine included. The side yard ends at a small entry street (which is why it's a bit larger than the others), and we have a smaller 2nd side yard on the other side that I still plan on concreting down, although since this is only 5 feet in width, I'm not too worried about it.

-OCR

OCR, You own the house at the end of the string and your house is a reverse "flipped floor plan". The 5' is between your zero side and your neighbor's zero side as well. Do you own it and do you have windows and doors facing on to the 5'?

BK: Yes, we own it. My home isn't the one at the end of the string...the total distance between my home and the neighbor's is 10 feet, we split it down the middle.

Our windows face either Sand Canyon (front) or the 5 (side)...lots of nice warm light in from the side in the afternoon...

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm leaning towards pavestone...does anyone know of a good landscape designer that can generate plans for me so I can get it passed by the board?

-OCR.

What kind of budget do you have? Are you planning to install the irrigation by yourself or hire a landscape service to do it. Do not hire one a stop shop contractor to do your drawings and design. Results I have seen are a disaster. If you know pretty much what you are planning to do with some guidance with plant material then you should consult with someone who can do the drafting illustration for you based on your ideas instead of hiring a full blown landscape architect which will run you $300/hr or $3500 for the whole job. Let me know if you need help with just illustration and some design assistance. Whisper your comment if you do not want the whole world to know.

for the small backyards and patios, pavers are a great idea. i did the same. easy to maintain, look ten times better than plain ol' concrete, and you can either DIY or not spend too much to have it done professionally. you'll be happy with them definitely!

<p><em>for the small backyards and patios, pavers are a great idea. i did the same. easy to maintain, look ten times better than plain ol' concrete</em></p>

<p>. . . and it's easy to fix a small area if needed.</p>

Back