Community Activities for Infants (less than 1)

Hi, was wondering if anyone knows of local activities to babies/infants (less than 1).

I checked out the Park and Rec catalogs for Irvine and Tustin and all their classes start at 1. The best I have found is StoryTime at the local libraries but wondering if there are other resources?

I have seen some mommy and me classes but not sure which ones are good and are they only for mommies (can the dad not go?).

Also did find the Learning Link program from the school district which looks interesting. Anyone tried that?https://www.iusd.org/eclc/enrichment-classes.html
Also other locations:http://www.rcocdd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Learning-Links-Locations-14-15.pdf

Looking for others!

Thanks so much!

PenguinOrange said:
Hi, was wondering if anyone knows of local activities to babies/infants (less than 1).

I checked out the Park and Rec catalogs for Irvine and Tustin and all their classes start at 1. The best I have found is StoryTime at the local libraries but wondering if there are other resources?

I have seen some mommy and me classes but not sure which ones are good and are they only for mommies (can the dad not go?).

Thanks so much!

Have you tried Gymboree?

Gymboree has a great mommy and me class.  I use to take my son when he was younger.  It's great for them to have that social interaction and stimulation.  They just moved close to the airport.

I recommend taking a class with Blane.  He's a great teacher and very patient with the little ones!

How is Gymboree?

Took a quick look (they have a new Irvine location).

They do a $50 initiation fee and it's around $75/month depending on the program.

There's a FREE CLASS PASS which reminds me of bad experiences with 24/LA Fitness of trying to snake you in and then signing for a multi-year gym membership :(...

Sometimes there are deals that waive the initiation fee.

I think Gymboree is a great experience for the kid and parent.

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  If I remember more, I'll add:

1. South Coast Music Together - they do a baby class (up until 9 months) or you can just do the mixed age class.http://www.southcoastmusictogether.com

2. Kids Love Music through the City of Irvine.  They do a baby class as well as a toddler class.  Search the Irvine catalog for it.

3. Leport Infant Mommy & Me.  This one is pretty pointless if your child isn't at least crawling IMO.

4. Gymboree/MyGym.  Neal at MyGym is great.  Blaine (as someone else mentioned) at Gymboree is also great.  Gymboree is a monthly membership but you can freeze and cancel anytime.  Try to not pay the initiation fee if you can.  MyGym is session based.  8 week session type thing.

5. Parent & Me Swim.  They have this at Waterworks and other swim places.  Good intro for the baby & water.

6. Granola Babies @ OC Mart Mix.  They run classes for babies. My favorites are the baby storytime and the baby sign language class.

7. Super Soccer Stars.  They run a 4 week soccer/ball class for kids 12-24 months at IVC and GP.

8. Pretend City.  Once a month, they run a baby only (under 18 months) afternoon.  $10 admission for the parent.  Baby is free.  Nice time to go b/c the big kids won't run the babies over.

PenguinOrange said:
Anyone do the Mommy and Me programs through the Montessori? Like LePort?

Is Gymboree Play & Learn 1 Class similar?

Is your child crawling?  If not, I would probably wait to do the MyGym/Gymboree/active type stuff.  Music is good for pre-crawlers.

Thanks so much for the list, will check it out!

Unfortunately, my little one is not crawling and that's the issue from our 9mo check-up. Our peds is saying we need to encourage/push a little more. So need more 'floor' time activity vs 'sitting' activities. Thanks!

My hope is I bring the baby to one of these places, the other kids will encourage the little one to start 'shaking it' :).

Hey confused on the pricing structure on places like Gymboree and MyGym.

It mentions a monthly fee, so is that like a gym membership and I can go to as many classes as possible or only once a week so averaging 4 classes for around $18-$20 per class?

Both places have a free preview so think it makes sense to at least check it out.

Thanks!

For older kids, if you guys can find the courage to venture into lake forest, We Play Loud, is is fun. Then you can go to slaters 50/50 for some lunch

PenguinOrange said:

Unfortunately, my little one is not crawling and that's the issue from our 9mo check-up. Our peds is saying we need to encourage/push a little more. So need more 'floor' time activity vs 'sitting' activities. Thanks!

My hope is I bring the baby to one of these places, the other kids will encourage the little one to start 'shaking it' :).

It mentions a monthly fee, so is that like a gym membership and I can go to as many classes as possible or only once a week so averaging 4 classes for around $18-$20 per class?

Both places have a free preview so think it makes sense to at least check it out.

Thanks!

For Gymboree it's usually one class per week.  They have "open" gym times where you can bring you little one to go play around in the facility.

My daughter never crawled, went from sitting to standing to walking.  Every kid is different, develop naturally.

PenguinOrange said:

Thanks!

Ah got it. Based on that, I would recommend gymboree/mygym type classes. For your specific situation, I would say gymboree will be more beneficial. They have activities to encourage crawling whereas mygym is more of a "free play" type class. Gymboree is more structured and has more age appropriate play equipment for a 9 month old.  Good luck!

qwerty said:
For older kids, if you guys can find the courage to venture into lake forest, We Play Loud, is is fun. Then you can go to slaters 50/50 for some lunch

Fat finger thank you. But were you there last wknd?  Could of sworn I saw a well-calved brownie :)

bones said:
qwerty said:

Fat finger thank you. But were you there last wknd?  Could of sworn I saw a well-calved brownie :)

no, havent been there in about a month.

Back