Columbus Grove, Irvine - What are the chances of changing school districts?

Ok just catching up on this post.  A difference in opinion is fine, that's life.  I just felt like my words were twisted around.  In the end, whatever it doesn't matter, this is just the internet.

I am under no allusions about Irvine and the school district.  I have many friends with kids in the Irvine district and some are not so happy with their choice.  The fact is that perception is reality.  When we bought our house in North OC ten years ago, we were thisclose to buying a house in Irvine (smaller than our house now) and that house today would sell for about $200K more than the house we have now.  They are both in good school districts the difference is Irvine.

I really like Columbus Grove, but know that it is not the "it area" and has some negative perceptions.  Dh is also worried about resale value in the future and perception is reality.  Being zoned into a different school district could make a difference.  That is where my biggest fear comment came.  We know a lot of people in West Irvine and Northpark who are very happy witht the TUSD schools in the area, but based on our experience with eventually needing to sell our home now, we would prefer to be in the school district which carries something with it - even if the schools actually aren't better. 
Is Irvine worth it or not, really isn't the question, if you want to live in Irvine, you pay a premium.  That is what it is today.  What will it be like 10 years from now or the schools be like, I do not know now.  But in the present, this is the case.

It is Saturday and we are off to see homes in Irvine this weekend....

IRI - Thanks for your thoughtful posts. 

OCMommy said:
Ok just catching up on this post.  A difference in opinion is fine, that's life.  I just felt like my words were twisted around.  In the end, whatever it doesn't matter, this is just the internet.

I am under no allusions about Irvine and the school district.  I have many friends with kids in the Irvine district and some are not so happy with their choice.  The fact is that perception is reality.  When we bought our house in North OC ten years ago, we were thisclose to buying a house in Irvine (smaller than our house now) and that house today would sell for about $200K more than the house we have now.  They are both in good school districts the difference is Irvine.

I really like Columbus Grove, but know that it is not the "it area" and has some negative perceptions.  Dh is also worried about resale value in the future and perception is reality.  Being zoned into a different school district could make a difference.  That is where my biggest fear comment came.  We know a lot of people in West Irvine and Northpark who are very happy witht the TUSD schools in the area, but based on our experience with eventually needing to sell our home now, we would prefer to be in the school district which carries something with it - even if the schools actually aren't better. 
Is Irvine worth it or not, really isn't the question, if you want to live in Irvine, you pay a premium.  That is what it is today.  What will it be like 10 years from now or the schools be like, I do not know now.  But in the present, this is the case.

Keep in mind that Columbus Grove does have higer mello roos, so factor that into the price. 

I think if you are away from the power lines, then you should be fine.  The power line seem to be the most mentioned item when I looked at the houses in Columbus Grove and Tustin Field II.
BTW, Tustin Field II has lower mello roos than Columbus Grove which are right next to each other.  I have no idea why and none of the real estate agents did either.

As for being rezoned to TUSD, I don't think you have to worry about it. 
I don't rememeber last time I heard a neighborhood being rezoned to a different school district.
Only thing I heard was being rezoned to a different school within a district. 
There's no incentive for IUSD to give up students (which equals money and power) to TUSD, and visa versa.

Patrick Star said:
jumpcut said:
Patrick Star said:
Now, I've had enough of this discussion.  It is really interfering with my ability to focus on watching Girls Generation and 2NE1 on Music Bang...

Did GG sing "Run Devil Run" tonight?

That's a great song, isn't it?  I just can't decide if I like the white or black outfits better in the video...

[youtube]z8uH1seeCL8[/youtube]

I think my hijack of this thread is now complete...

Yes you did!!!  Now who is this?

Oh gosh, I come back to the forums and see this? Et tu, Patrick Star? What happened to the old you?

Welcome, OC Mommy. If you want to be in Irvine Unified, it's cool. More power to you. You don't need to defend your decision.

OCMommy said:

It's a touchy subject and people have strong and different opinion about it.  Don't take it too personally, we can all still offer good information to each other.  As long as you like the house, like the area, and be the best parents for your child(ren), that's all you can do.  Here is something that I don't quite understand and don't take this as a judgement on anyone else.  I have heard many times, that people worry about future re-sale value.  BK even said the re-sale value of the Montecito homes will be not as good as others.  Yes, people want to make sure the money spent is not wasted.  I am not saying that I don't care, but it's just something that I can't seem to worry about too much as once you bought, it's out of your control right?  And it's pretty far in the future right?  Like LocalLocal mentioned about Irvine's school ranking, who knows what's going to happen in the future.  It's lower now, but it will go up also.

Yeah I am not too concerned about resale value either.  If we can afford it now and it works for our life, I feel like that is all I can worry about now.  The future is the future.  But being married means you have to compromise and take someone else's opinions under consideration!  ;)

Remember to capitalize the HOA and Mello Roos costs when comparing properties in the different villages.  For every $600 per month in HOA and Mello Roos add $100k to the price.  That way, you are comparing apples to apples in terms of total cost.

OCMommy said:
Yeah I am not too concerned about resale value either.  If we can afford it now and it works for our life, I feel like that is all I can worry about now.  The future is the future.  But being married means you have to compromise and take someone else's opinions under consideration!  ;)

Hope your search for your new home went well today.  Just remember that it's your home and only your opinion matters when you decide.  What others say, positive or negative, really doesn't matter.  Take what people are saying in this forum with a strong grain of salt, including myself.  That being said I do think Columbus Grove is in a great location.  Close to 405 and many jobs.

Patrick Star said:
traceimage said:
Oh gosh, I come back to the forums and see this? Et tu, Patrick Star? What happened to the old you?

I'm the same person I always was.  I call it like I see it.  You can do one of two things with that --- listen and if you disagree engage in a heathy debate, or dismiss me as a bitter, sour, jealous loser because you have world by the ass and can't learn anything from anyone.  The latter tends to be the pervasive attitude on this board, so I'll probably get bored of my latest attempt to mix it up a little bit here, and go back to my discussions elsewhere.  So don't worry --- the dissenting opinion won't bother you for long.  Only so much echo chamber a brother can bear.

But hey, this thread seems to have killed off the ones on tankless water heaters for at least a day, so I must be doing something right.  ;)

It's not the opinion that bothers me. Honestly, I don't have a strong enough opinion on this issue to debate it at all, healthily or unhealthily. I just don't think it was necessary to lay down the old-school sarcastic IHB snark on OCMommy just for asking a simple question about school districts. It's not like she was even insulting TUSD...unless maybe I'm missing something? Why is this such a hot-button issue, this school thing?

Anyway, I just expect this kind of knee-jerk reaction from other people, not you. In any case I hope you do stay around, and not just post elsewhere where you can all congratulate each other about not living in Irvine. Different kind of sheeple, no?

I, for one, like these kind of topics.  Balanced posting is important to the forum as is the variety that we currently have.    For me, I'm contemplating one of the biggest moves of my life since coming to Tokyo and this in fact (school re-zoning) was a question that I'd yet to ask.  I'm glad it was asked and I think the responses have all been informative.

gaab said:
I, for one, like these kind of topics.  Balanced posting is important to the forum as is the variety that we currently have.    For me, I'm contemplating one of the biggest moves of my life since coming to Tokyo and this in fact (school re-zoning) was a question that I'd yet to ask.  I'm glad it was asked and I think the responses have all been informative.

Exactly my point.  We all benefit from this forum when our knowledge and opionions are shared with each other.

There is really nothing to be gained by attacking or ridicuring each other.
I try to teach my kids that there's no stupid questions.  I hope we can apply similar logic in this forum.  What may seem obvious to some may be valuable information to others. 

There's no reason to ridicure someone for asking a question, even if it seems trivial to others.

Patrick Star said:
The latter tends to be the pervasive attitude on this board, so I'll probably get bored of my latest attempt to mix it up a little bit here, and go back to my discussions elsewhere.  So don't worry --- the dissenting opinion won't bother you for long.  Only so much echo chamber a brother can bear.
C'mon PStar... that's a bit hyperbolic. There are plenty of discussions regarding other things it's just that new homes in Woodbury are prevalent because that's what is current. The one thread you can find that's not discussing Woodbury and to build up discussion on it... you bust out the snark? I guess that's one way to do it... but there are more civil ways too... methinks you've been hanging around with some grouchy people too much... that's an echo chamber too ;P.
But hey, this thread seems to have killed off the ones on tankless water heaters for at least a day, so I must be doing something right.  ;)
I actually found that thread interesting because over on OCR, Velv said those type of heaters take forever to heat up water the farther away from the unit and based on the posts here... that's not the case.

And again... like everyone else says.... no one minds the dissenting opinions... it's just the delivery. You have a quite a bit respect here and being an Irvinite who may not be one in the future... your perspective is very important.

Would you stick around if I started posting some jpegs? Heh. I need to figure out a way to recruit that guy over here... TI needs zombies.

gaab said:

I agree completely, as a 1st time home buyer and future resident of Irvine, this forum has been invaluable, and school districts are without a doubt on the mind of most if not all parents. Now can we get back to more pressing issue of tankless water heater and the flush button??  :p LOL

irvinehomeowner said:
Patrick Star said:
The latter tends to be the pervasive attitude on this board, so I'll probably get bored of my latest attempt to mix it up a little bit here, and go back to my discussions elsewhere.  So don't worry --- the dissenting opinion won't bother you for long.  Only so much echo chamber a brother can bear.
C'mon PStar... that's a bit hyperbolic. There are plenty of discussions regarding other things it's just that new homes in Woodbury are prevalent because that's what is current. The one thread you can find that's not discussing Woodbury and to build up discussion on it... you bust out the snark? I guess that's one way to do it... but there are more civil ways too... methinks you've been hanging around with some grouchy people too much... that's an echo chamber too ;P.
I actually found that thread interesting because over on OCR, Velv said those type of heaters take forever to heat up water the farther away from the unit and based on the posts here... that's not the case.

And again... like everyone else says.... no one minds the dissenting opinions... it's just the delivery. You have a quite a bit respect here and being an Irvinite who may not be one in the future... your perspective is very important.

Would you stick around if I started posting some jpegs? Heh. I need to figure out a way to recruit that guy over here... TI needs zombies.

IHO, I was wondering where you have been.  Good to hear from you.  Two words, IHO, Jessica Alba.  As far as Zombies, how about if I post some Chinese Zombie to a part of the Zombie profile.  Will that help?

Patrick Star said:
Oh, ok IHO --- I get it.  More nice, less snark.
I don't mind snark... but like I've said on the IHB (and other places)... snarking requires finesse. New posters who aren't familiar with who we are or how we roll need to be eased into the snark, long time members are free to snark each other... and trolls (or collectors of N*Sync dolls) get the nuclear snark bomb.

But in the end it's up to you how you want to post... the internet is a free country and I just thought I would offer my somewhat Swiss opinion on why some posters reacted to your comments in such a manner. At the same time, I think old (and new) posters have to be aware that there will be some heat... but like Martha says... "That's a good thing".

I think OCMommy is coming more from the perspective of having to pay more for a "lesser" home, she should at least have the security of knowing her kids won't have a new school forced upon them (whether it be IUSD proper or AP-TUSD). That's a valid concern and we all probably feel the same.

Now if it were over having 714 over 949 as your area code... them's fighting words!

I kid (although I do flash the 949 sign on all my gangster MySpace pictures).

I for one welcome the diversity of opinion and snark too! Bring it on...the TI forums need some more caffeine or maybe just me  :)

iacrenter said:
I for one welcome the diversity of opinion and snark too! Bring it on...the TI forums need some more caffeine or maybe just me  :)

I was wondering where you are for this.  +1, even though I am not good at snark.

iacrenter said:

I completely agree with this.  I don't post much, or really have much time to read the boards anymore due to kids, but I like some feistiness in discussions.  This is the fricken internet.  I love BK's posts as they are extremely informative and he says it like he thinks.  He never intends to disrespect or mean harm to anyone.  It's his way of opining himself.  I appreciate it and think it adds interest.  Having everyone sit around the campfire holding hands and saying things like "I appreciate what you're saying, but..." in a dissenting opinion is boring.  Bring some comedy and wit.  I'm not good at the wit part myself, but appreciate it when I read it.  Keep on being your mean self, Pat.

jvna said:
I love BK's posts as they are extremely informative and he says it like he thinks.  He never intends to disrespect or mean harm to anyone.  It's his way of opining himself.
While this is mostly true, BK tends to go the personal route when he is losing his end of an argument. There are several times when he's taken very personal shots at people that were unnecessary. Generalizing is fine... but specifically disparaging one's spouse, insulting someone's way of life, personal preferences or history becomes a bit shaky. Simply put, if you don't know where to draw the line... then you shouldn't be trying. I respect BK too but sometimes he talks without thinking and the times he has been proven incorrect, instead of recognizing, he'll start using jabs he knows are hot buttons to distract from the truth. Sometimes he tries to hide behind his language barrier but having talked to him in person... that's a really poor excuse. He is quite eloquent in spoken and written word.
I appreciate it and think it adds interest.  Having everyone sit around the campfire holding hands and saying things like "I appreciate what you're saying, but..." in a dissenting opinion is boring.  Bring some comedy and wit.  I'm not good at the wit part myself, but appreciate it when I read it.  Keep on being your mean self, Pat.
No one is saying we have to disagree nicely... I just think we have to be conscious of who we disagree with because the Internet is a poor medium to communicate tone or intent. A new person won't know past history or behavior, so unless explained they might get turned off by this community and that's not something any of us want... the more the merrier.

Anyways... I'm turning Mr. Ed into a zombie... this is just my opinion.

Fair points, IHO.  That's why you are the town mayor.  You greet everyone and make sure everyone is as amicable as possible.

Back