Columbus Grove HOA

Tigasulo_IHB

I'm interested in buying property in Columbus Grove - Irvine, but was appalled when I found out the HOA is $385. Someone please educate me on what this includes besides the two small parks, the community center, and ridiculously strict parking regulations.

[quote author="Tigasulo" date=1207795326]I'm interested in buying property in Columbus Grove - Irvine, but was appalled when I found out the HOA is $385. Someone please educate me on what this includes besides the two small parks, the community center, and ridiculously strict parking regulations.</blockquote>

I was going to buy a 4 bedroom sfh in columbus grove too but after finding out about their parking regulation, I backed out.

385... includes marketing material for lennar and the other builder and undevelop land since the builder is holding back or pushing out the build plan. hahahahaaa

I live in Columbus Grove in a SFR

I am not sure where the 385.00 is coming from.

The HOA is around 150.00

Billing Address: MOSSCREEK STREET

TUSTIN, CA 92782

Your Current Balance: $150.74

Your Last Three Payments:

Amount:

Date: $142.88

Feb 8, 2008

Amount:

Date: $151.66

Jan 10, 2008

Amount:

Date: $159.02

Dec 12, 2007

[quote author="Tigasulo" date=1207795326]I'm interested in buying property in Columbus Grove - Irvine, but was appalled when I found out the HOA is $385. Someone please educate me on what this includes besides the two small parks, the community center, and ridiculously strict parking regulations.</blockquote>

ouch. So it looks like your $385 gets you all that, plus a smaller yard (or no yard) and a shared wall/ceiling. fun. =)

as said before it sounds like a townhome. the SFR residents likely pay only the master association hoa. townhome and condo residents would pay hoa for their sub-association in addition. typically that covers the landscaping and insurance on the whole structure. your own homeowners insr policy would likely cost less because you only need to insure your personal belongings, inside walls, as well as liability. of course, double-check yourself what the hoa does and doesn't cover.

boomben - any particular reason why the hoa fluctuates every month like that? its not much but knowing my fee could change 5~10% a month would bother me.

fluctuates depending on special assessments and assumption of common area by the HOA. Special assessments happen when, for example, the wind blows trees down, the HOA will levy a special assessment to cover the cost of replanting or replacement.

The $150 pays for the maintenance of the two parks and pools, as well as all master association common area landscaping, streets, sidewalks, etc. The additional $235 pays for the maintenance of the sub association (for your condo/townhome) common area landscaping, driveways, sidewalks, etc. as well as the maintenance of the structure itself, painting, roof, structural, etc. If it is for Savannah, you have another small rec area and hot tub to maintain as well.

[quote author="jcaraway" date=1207867975]fluctuates depending on special assessments and assumption of common area by the HOA. Special assessments happen when, for example, the wind blows trees down, the HOA will levy a special assessment to cover the cost of replanting or replacement.</blockquote>

although i understand its possible for the monthly assessment to change, other than going down during build-out, i haven't seen either my sub or master assoc hoa in woodbury change in the last 3 yrs. fires and santa anas caused some significant damage last fall but didn't affect assessments.

is a 5% change per household a significant change? have others seen similar fluctuations from their hoa? replanting and replacing landscaping seems like part of normal maintenance. even if something out of the ordinary occurs like winds blow down a tree, there should be reserves for that sort of thing.

[quote author="acpme" date=1207870194][ even if something out of the ordinary occurs like winds blow down a tree, there should be reserves for that sort of thing.</blockquote>

What kind of scam in the developer running? I've never heard of an HOA that didn't assess a 5-10% excess in order to build a reserve.

So this one operates at *exactly* 100% efficiency (hard to believe, but if a blown-down tree causes an increase, it must be so). And this one has no (Zero, Zilch, Nada) reserve fund?

It sounds more like the developer is sucking off all the money (though I'm certain I am incorrect about this, no?)

reserve is to budget for ordinary replacement of old trees, technically, i don't an HOA is supposed to use reserve to replace trees uprooted during a storm. Developer isn't running the scam, your HOA board is. and your HOA baord is run by residents for have personal financial exposure if they mismanage the budget.

Assessment may not be levied if the area where the trees were knocked down were still owned by developer, who will go after landscape sub to replace for free. I heard residents in northpark complaining about this all the time, so it may also be hoa specific?

well i was referring to boomben's post where he showed assessments for the past few months. it looks like those are just the master association. subassoc is one thing, but what would cause master association assessments to fluctuate both up and down 5-10% each month. i dont think something malicious is going on, but clearly some lack of budget foresight like freedom said.

i bet that the HOA is still controlled by the developer.

and that the developer is keeping the monthly fee to absolutely minimum (ie 100% of monthly expenses) since they have to pay it on the houses not yet sold

and NOT building up any kind of reserve, which would subtract from their bottom line. This will of course mean that as soon as the developer exits, the HOA will have to go up significantly to build a reserve.

either that, or siphoning money off (but of course, i have no knowledge and am only speculating based on the wierdness). I would be curious to see an audit of the HOA accounts, though.

If the developer was not building up a reserve, they would be subject to litigation. The cost outweighs the benefit. Furthermore, all new home owners are required to contribute to the reserve on purchase of home.

[quote author="Kiter" date=1207868608]

The $150 pays for the maintenance of the two parks and pools, as well as all master association common area landscaping, streets, sidewalks, etc. The additional $235 pays for the maintenance of the sub association (for your condo/townhome) common area landscaping, driveways, sidewalks, etc. as well as the maintenance of the structure itself, painting, roof, structural, etc. If it is for Savannah, you have another small rec area and hot tub to maintain as well.</blockquote>
Thank you.

Back