Circuit City

Anon._IHB

You might want to use up those gift cards now. <a href="http://retail.freedomblogging.com/2008/10/19/circuit-city-may-close-at-least-150-stores/2949/">Linky</a>

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1224550746]The retail landsape is littered with the dead carcases of failed electronics merchants.

Why is that?</blockquote>
We already have Best Buy and Costco...who needs Circuit City? Put them on the clock....

Circuit City is just another old Dinosaur on its way to being extinct.

While Costco is selling Vizio flat panels as fast as they can make them.

It's hard to compete with Best Buy and Fry's when you're still doing mail-in rebates.

These stores used to have to only worry about competing with other B&Ms;... now they have the entire Internet they need to "price match".

15 years ago around here we had The Good Guys, Circuit City, and CompUSA. Best Buy wasn't around. What did they do wrong that Best Buy is doing right? Will Best Buy be around in 10 years?

I do think some of these businesses suffer when customers go into the store, get advice from the people working there, check out the products, then buy the item from a different online-only store. Sometimes people wouldn't buy the item online unless they got to see it and touch it first. In a way, the stores get punished for providing service.

[quote author="T!m" date=1224557303]15 years ago around here we had The Good Guys, Circuit City, and CompUSA. Best Buy wasn't around. What did they do wrong that Best Buy is doing right? Will Best Buy be around in 10 years?</blockquote>

Ummm, Best Buy was started in 1966 and has been a public company since 1985...

[quote author="WINEX" date=1224559925][quote author="T!m" date=1224557303]15 years ago around here we had The Good Guys, Circuit City, and CompUSA. Best Buy wasn't around. What did they do wrong that Best Buy is doing right? Will Best Buy be around in 10 years?</blockquote>

Ummm, Best Buy was started in 1966 and has been a public company since 1985...</blockquote>

And how many stores did they have in the OC in '85?

I believe it as about two years ago that Circuit City fired all of their higher paid workers and forced them to reapply for their positions at a much lower rate of pay. I guess that didn't work out so well. Best Buy is well known as an innovative employer who encourages flexible schedules and offers many perks to employees.

I've been shopping at BB for years because, as my buddy who used to run the consumer division of Rockford Fosgate said, "they won't hire anyone with enough brains to lie to me".

And that's a plus.

[quote author="T!m" date=1224561355][quote author="WINEX" date=1224559925][quote author="T!m" date=1224557303]15 years ago around here we had The Good Guys, Circuit City, and CompUSA. Best Buy wasn't around. What did they do wrong that Best Buy is doing right? Will Best Buy be around in 10 years?</blockquote>

Ummm, Best Buy was started in 1966 and has been a public company since 1985...</blockquote>

And how many stores did they have in the OC in '85?</blockquote>

My neighborhood Best Buy used to be a Silo back in the 80s. My neighborhood Target used to a Fedmart in the 70s. My local 99 Ranch Market was a Gemco. Ikea used to be Stor.

I was in Best Buy at the District this morning to pick up some more memory for my B-Berry, the kid who helped me was nothing short of fantastic, he took me to the Display and selected the cheapest 2gb they had and told me it was just as good as the spendy ones...

Then I asked Him about a GPS for the Car, there wasnt a question he couldnt answer, again he advised me against buying an expensive one because they have a lot of stuff you dont even need.....

A few months ago the LCD tv in the bedroom turned all green, we went to best buy to buy another one, tha kid that helped us then recommended we check the cables in the back before buying another, he was right...the picture has been perfect ever since...

I will deffinately continue to support Best Buy in future.....

[quote author="PeterUK" date=1224640455]I was in Best Buy at the District this morning to pick up some more memory for my B-Berry, the kid who helped me was nothing short of fantastic, he took me to the Display and selected the cheapest 2gb they had and told me it was just as good as the spendy ones...

Then I asked Him about a GPS for the Car, there wasnt a question he couldnt answer, again he advised me against buying an expensive one because they have a lot of stuff you dont even need.....

A few months ago the LCD tv in the bedroom turned all green, we went to best buy to buy another one, tha kid that helped us then recommended we check the cables in the back before buying another, he was right...the picture has been perfect ever since...

I will deffinately continue to support Best Buy in future.....</blockquote>
The workers at BB definitely know their stuff...they hire young techie kids who know more about that stuff than I ever will.

Ugh, Best Buy has been horrible to me in the past. I wouldn't be sad if they eventually went under, too. I can get plenty of things (CDs, DVDs, and the link) the brick and mortar way through Target, etc. And I can get prices on electronics cheaper online. The only drawback is returning items.

I recently bought a high end clothes dryer from Best Buy. Being cheapskate that I am, I didn't want to pay for shipping. I bought it online for 10% off the store price, located the closest store and arranged pick-up, all online. When I arrived at the store it was waiting and three guys put it in my car. I was amazed that there were literally no annoying issues that usually come with this type of purchase. Years ago when I needed to return something I had to pay a 15% restocking fee which annoyed the hell out of me, but I paid it and vowed not to go there again. Unfortunately the restocking fee was the wave of the future and it is mostly unavoidable anywhere these days, so I grudgingly returned to BB. Judging from my last experience with the clothes dryer though, I think BB will be around a long time.

<a href="http://consumerist.com/5074161/updated-breaking-circuit-city-closing-155-stores">Is that a death rattle?</a>

For at least 1/4 of the CC stores, <em>the answer is yes.</em>

Back