Ciao

[quote author="trrenter"]I think the issue you are going to have if you limit what can be talked about is the decline in participation on this board.

Is there really enough to talk about if you limit the discussion to just Irvine?
[/quote]

Let me clarify ---- I would be all for any topic being on the table, IF the participants in said conversation could conduct themselves in a manner which would NOT have more moderate members of this community screaming for ignore buttons or worse yet heading for the exits.

But since those who have been historically inclined to engage in those "touchy" discussions here at TI and previously at IHB have NOT been able to show much civility in their debate of the issues, maybe its best to avoid those issues all together? Kind of like when I tell my six year old something like "if you can't share your toys we'll need to take them away". But this is SoCal's board and its up to her how to handle, I'm just giving my opinion.

And I'll speak for myself (but I'm sure I'm not the only one) --- but back at IHB I had just about every regular poster in the politics section (whether they were on the left or the right side of the aisle) on ignore. There is only so much partisan noise a brother can endure....

[quote author="ck"]And I'll speak for myself (but I'm sure I'm not the only one) --- but back at IHB I had just about every regular poster in the politics section (whether they were on the left or the right side of the aisle) on ignore. There is only so much partisan noise a brother can endure....[/quote]

Dude... no wonder you didn't post much during the election last year. You were totally bored by the lack of posts you could see. And... how could you ignore me? I thought we had the flip flop backyard BBQ bond going back to the 2007 days of NIR?

[quote author="graphrix"]
Dude... no wonder you didn't post much during the election last year. You were totally bored by the lack of posts you could see. And... how could you ignore me? I thought we had the flip flop backyard BBQ bond going back to the 2007 days of NIR? [/quote]

The funny thing is, it was the Obama chest pounders during the election season who did me in. Yet I VOTED FOR OBAMA. But for even a supporter, there were only so many regurgitated Keith Olbermann talking points one can take before you want to put your head in a microwave. I'm talking to you, Ventoux Bob and Gotti if you are still reading. Ugh.

But you know I'm always up for a good backyard BBQ debate with ole Graph. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

[quote author="trrenter"]I think the issue you are going to have if you limit what can be talked about is the decline in participation on this board.

Is there really enough to talk about if you limit the discussion to just Irvine?

I am not offended by Troopers thread and I sympathize with her position and she is a member of the TI community. Should we say we accept you Troop but please do not post a Gay Thread? I would think there are gay people in Irvine so this is a topic that would be pertinent to some people in Irvine.

Nobody is forcing anyone to read the gay thread and if someone does read the gay thread and is offended they are not too bright for reading it.

On the other hand though Troop knows that some segment of the population is vehemently opposed to her message and she should be prepared to hear about it. (I again am not saying that the people that oppose the message are right, they do have a right to oppose the message just as much as Troop has the right to post the message.)

Right now in Irvine and almost everywhere in the country Politics is a subject that is being heavily debated, the war, healthcare, the economy etc. To say that discussing Politics' has no place in a board dedicated to Irvine would indicate Politics are not important to Irvineites. That is not the case.

If you strip away subjects that could divide the board then you strip away any reason to come here unless the idea is to promote Group Think.

The idea that you need an ignore button to ignore someone is ridiculous. I have people in my everyday life I ignore because they piss me off or annoy me. I don't have a button for that. I just know that if they want to discuss an issue that will lead to me throwing my hands up and wanting to call them an idiot I just don't engage with them.

The same can be done here on this board. I think we are all adults, I have looked at some of the "offending" threads and really none of the offenses seem particularly egregious. If you don't agree with them or the approach that was taken that is understandable but can anyone here actually say that in the society we live in today that what was said in those threads was the worse thing they have heard this week? I have seen and heard worse at the customer service counter at Toy's R Us this week.

Discussions do get heated, some times things are said that may hurt someone's feelings but are we all really that sensitive that we need to quit?

If you don't want a politics section then maybe a section for "touchy subjects" with a warning things might get heated, enter at your own risk, moderators cannot be held accountable for the things said and the viewpoints shared.
[/quote]

That was very well put TR. Thank you for sharing such uncommon sense with the community.

Let me clarify ---- I would be all for any topic being on the table, IF the participants in said conversation could conduct themselves in a manner which would NOT have more moderate members of this community screaming for ignore buttons or worse yet heading for the exits.

I understand what you are saying but more moderate members have the free will to ignore the poster without a special button. We all have ignore buttons on our mouse. When you see a poster that you know is offensive to you just keep clicking your right mouse button until that post scrolls off of your screen. Post and poster ignored. Nobody is making them read the post

But since those who have been historically inclined to engage in those "touchy" discussions here at TI and previously at IHB have NOT been able to show much civility in their debate of the issues, maybe its best to avoid those issues all together? Kind of like when I tell my six year old something like "if you can't share your toys we'll need to take them away". But this is SoCal's board and its up to her how to handle, I'm just giving my opinion.

And I'll speak for myself (but I'm sure I'm not the only one) --- but back at IHB I had just about every regular poster in the politics section (whether they were on the left or the right side of the aisle) on ignore. There is only so much partisan noise a brother can endure....
I understand what you are saying here as well but the same could be said when someone over at IHB disagreed with the idea that RE was going to keep moving down in price. Think of all the posters over the year that decided to engage in debates opposed to that concept, those discussions got heated at times should discussions about Real Estate be banned?

Look at one of the first posts "Is Larry a Hypocrite." That could be a very polarizing topic but it was allowed.

One of my favorite saying is "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time."

Just don't get dragged down.

[quote author="trrenter"]
I understand what you are saying but more moderate members have the free will to ignore the poster without a special button. We all have ignore buttons on our mouse. When you see a poster that you know is offensive to you just keep clicking your right mouse button until that post scrolls off of your screen. Post and poster ignored. Nobody is making them read the post
[/quote]

But if it's technically feasible to click a button to automatically do what you are mentioning we do manually, why not have it? If it's a lot of work to implement or not feasible on this board, then the manual way it is. If possible on this board, an ignore button is much more preferable.

Back